Reviews (5 452)
2 561
1 628
2 561
1 628
All reviews seaside grill world cafe el patio adult pool family pool dreams pa barracuda bar sushi restaurant preferred club explorers club natural pool dolphin view coco cafe marina side water show fish tacos kids club
176 - 181 of 5 452 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Check in all ok , room very very basic no chairs so have to sit on beds. No main lights room only 1 small lamp so forget about wanting to read !!! Huge seaweed problem here at the moment and the smell is unbearable. And as restaurants close to the sea it's not a present experience trying to eat . Food so far has been poor. Pools very dirty with half filled cups floating in it. Hotel are making an effort to try and correct these thing . But there are much nicer places to stay if yr coming to mexico so choose yr hotel wisely.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa E
Sune O, Redes Sociales en Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear Lisa E:

Thank you very much for sharing your commnts with us, we take them very seriously to improve our service. Please be sure that your experience will be adress to the involve departaments. Hope you can give us another opportunity in the near future to shw you the quality we have and the excellent service we can provide.

Thank you for adding positive comments of your experience and your understanding.
Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion; it is very important to us as we are always looking for ways to improve our service and achieve ultimate guest satisfaction.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

This was not our first time to Mexico but we probably will not return to Dreams. Although the rooms were nice and the staff was mostly amazing especially Luis and Delucie (sp?) at the adult pool bar. The food was very good at the Mexican restaurant (try the Mayan coffee!) and the Italian restaurant decent as well. Biggest complaint about the restaurants is they rotate and Oceana was closed a lot and we never got to try it during our stay. Swing bar was closed until our last day as well; such a disappointment. Seaweed smell was GROSS. I understand it’s an act of God, but we couldn’t even enjoy the beach (or that side of the hotel.) We asked to switch rooms and they obliged but the room was smaller and right above the sushi bar and close to being above the nightclub which thumped music well into the night (1a.m.) We stayed with our 18 & 22-year-old adult daughters (in separate rooms) and they didn’t use the safe and ended up getting money stolen from their purses. (I wish they would have mentioned it before we checked out so I could have addressed it at the hotel.) It was an OK experience but (as mentioned earlier) I don’t hunk we will be returning.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Anna R
Sune O, Redes Sociales en Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear Anna:

Receive warm greetings from our Management and staff. We appreciate the time that you had invested on writing an overview of your stay with us. We were really sad to read your review and found out that we did no achieve to fulfill your expectations, for this we apologize. Please be certain that all your feedback has reached our Management and we are currently working in our opportunity areas. We apologize if there were shortcomings in our end during your visit.

Please be certain that your comments will not be overlooked we take all our guest feedback very seriously. I hope that despite these issues your group had a pleasant stay with us and we look forward to be given an opportunity of hosting you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

First, I'd like to say Erik, Alejandro, Wilberth and Fredi (Oceana) and the waiter that made the Mexican coffees at the Mexican restaurant (can't remember his name) did a great job! Franco the dive master was wonderful and my 14 year old boy went on two dives with him. Very kind, patient and hardworking. Can't say enough about the excellent staff. Hard working people and so nice and accommodating. Food was good overall. Seaweed was bad. Lots of it and there was a backhoe and dump truck working two days in a row to remove seaweed; not sure if it is usually this bad all the time as we arrived at the end of a bad storm. Seaweed was never gone and the smell was pretty bad. I understand there's not a lot that can be done due probably to the hotel's location. We did use the beach 2-3 hotels down as they are public beaches/you are allowed to use them and it was very nice; you just can't use the chairs there, of course. We did snorkel at that location and saw a lot of fish there. We did enjoy all the restaurants but the Seaside Grill was tough to sit in due to the seaweed smell. They did upgrade our room and it was nice with an ocean view. Coffee was good in Coco the coffee shop and my kids loved the Italian mochas. Bartenders were great and drinks were good except the only beer is Bud Light or Mexican beers . Housekeeping did a great job and checked on our room a couple of times per day. Beach towels were big and very nice; they did not run out of beach towels. The bar at the end of the beach but was unfortunately closed after the first night we were there. That bar had swings and was really nice. I do think they were working on renovation of that bar, though. Room service was used a lot by my boys and lots of pizza from the grill outside kept them happy. Avoid the excursion that takes you to the jewelry shop and tequila factory as well as shopping at Playa Del Carmen; they do some high pressure sales and you are trapped there for the allotted amount of time they tell in advance. Playa Del Carmen shopping does not make a person feel very safe. We met another family on this vacation so we did have 6 kids with us there. We witnessed a fight in the street and our husbands were offered drugs there all within two hours time. Xel Ha was great as well as Dolphin Discovery (Jessica did a great job). Tulum was okay but the tour really gives you no good information. It is mostly just walking around a looking at the sight. Very cool site but really would have loved to learn more about the mayans/etc. Overall, we had a good time at this location/hotel. Just wish the beach was nicer! The staff did make all the difference at this hotel. We were at Sandals South Beach last year as a couple and the staff at Dreams greatly outshined the staff at Sandals.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah T
Sune O, Redes Sociales en Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Dear Sarah T:

We are very happy to know that we made a good impression on you during your holidays. Thank you for sharing it with us and letting us know that you had an excellent stay. We're more than glad to know you had an excellent vacation with us and were able to enjoy every service we have to offer.

About the incidents that we discuss, we would like to know more about what happened, because there are situations in which we can not afford to happen for the safety of our guests. It would be excellent for us to contact us directly to follow up on your e-mail experience: econcierge.drepa@dreamsresorts.com

I would like to let you know your comments are really value to us and help us to be better everyday. Once again, thank you for your preference and opinion. Nevertheless, we hope we can host you back in the future! Receive warm greetings from Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resorts & Spa.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Reviewed 25 June 2018

We arrived on a sunny day and got checked in. We were told we were VIPs and that there was a "special" check in process and a VIP desk we could use rather than going to the concierge desk.

Check in was fairly quick, but we had to answer a number of questions and get booked for the sales presentation that was part of the discounted price.

The resort itself is in a compound of sorts that has condos, single-family homes, apartments, and at least one hotel. It appears to be a playground for rich retirees. Getting in and out takes some time as the guards at the gates are very particular and even wandering in from the parking lot of the resort itself we were asked for our names and room number which was verified before we were allowed past. It seemed a bit much, but the place is all-inclusive and there are no wristbands or other identifiers, so I understand the need to ensure everyone who's inside has paid.

Our room was nice. A little dated, but nothing that made me wish we'd gone elsewhere. We had a view of the family pool and of the dolphinarium. Maid service was okay, the turndown service only happened twice and we have no idea why we didn't get it the other nights, but again, not a big deal.

After checking in, we hit the adults-only pool. While fairly small, there seemed to be plenty of seating and plenty of room for all. The resort is all-inclusive with no wristbands or anything else, so it was a little surprising to see relatively expensive booze behind the bar. The only up-charges were for lobster or for wine by the bottle. We never saw a tip jar anywhere, but the staff seemed delighted when we tipped them.

The only issues at the pool were the tendency of one group to hang out under the footbridge so we had to keep asking them to move if we wanted to go to the bar without getting out of the pool, and a broken light fixture. I had my back to the deck and as I was pulling myself out of the water, my foot went through a pretty good sized hole. I only had a minor scratch on my leg, but I made sure the staff knew about the issue and someone was out within a couple of hours to fix it.

On day two, it started to rain and kept going for the rest of the week. We still used the pool on occasion, but most days it was raining too hard.

We had breakfast at the buffet most mornings and dinner once. It was pretty good for buffet-style dining. The omelette station was pretty good. Weirdly, with all the different types of bread on offer for breakfast, tortillas were impossible to find.

We dined at the seafood restaurant and had an extremely good meal. We paid the up-charge for the lobster and it was a huge lobster tail, well worth the extra money. My wife and I both ordered separately, then shared with each other. It was a very good meal and I was quite surprised given the all-inclusive nature of the resort.

We dined at the Italian restaurant, where we were seated on the terrace as I was wearing shorts instead of long pants. Again, an excellent meal. The waiter did try to upsell us a bottle of wine, but was quick to refill our glasses when we opted not to purchase our own bottle.

Finally, we ate at the Mexican restaurant. It was the least formal of all the restaurants other than the buffet, but it was beautifully decorated. The night we ate there featured entertainment from "The Tenores" -- three tenors who sang all through the meal and sounded pretty good. As we were trying to decide on appetizers, the waiter explained that the appetizers were buffet style and to help ourselves, so we only had to decide on our entrees.

Once again, surprisingly good--particularly since it was all-inclusive.

We also had snacks and small meals at the Seaside -- an outdoor restaurant by the family pool. Nothing special, but nothing I'd have been disappointed in had we been paying for each meal.

All of the food service and bar staff were friendly. Any "thank you" was always met with "it's my pleasure," and most of them acted like they meant it.

In addition to the dinner show, each evening featured high-energy entertainment in the theater (which also screened World Cup games.) The entertainment was equivalent to cruise-ship quality, though the shows were shorter. Immediately following the shows in the theater each night, there was another high-energy show in the lobby: Live music, contests, etc.

It was good that they had the shows as the rain really was too heavy to enjoy the pool much.

There's a "swim with the dolphins" attraction on-site and you can actually watch folks do this. I didn't like it much as the water was very murky and it just didn't look like a lot of fun, but quite a lot of folks seemed to be willing to pay for it.

Downside: We woke up in the middle of the night on day two to a deluge of rain pouring through the light fixtures in the bathroom. Called the front desk. Called VIP services. Repeated the process. Hours later, VIP services called back and said they could send a bellboy but we needed to pack everything. By this point, we were hungry as it was past Noon, so I told them we'd be ready after lunch. I objected to having to pack everything as the water in the bathroom was now deep enough it was coming over our shoes and I was worried about the live electrical circuits.

In addition to the light fixtures, the rain was coming through two of the walls, giving the bathroom an "Amityville Horror" look.

The rain coming in also affected the TV and shorted out the room phone after a while.

After lunch we were told we'd have to wait for the bell boy to be available; so basically it was a completely wasted day as we didn't get moved until late afternoon. The smartest thing they could have done was tell us to grab our valuables and staff would take everything from our closets and drawers to the new room; but the concept appeared strange to them.

No effort of any kind was made to comp us anything for the ruined day or upgrade the room. To make matters worse, when we got to the new room, the minibar had been emptied, there were open ketchup packets in it, and the walls were damp and dirty--I ran a Kleenex down the wall by the minibar and it came away black. Guessing the prior occupants turned off the air and opened the doors--but the room clearly hadn't been cleaned.

On Thursday, we met at the "VIP desk" to hear the 90 minute sales pitch. It was pretty much all morning, but we were driven to Secrets in Akumal and got the grand tour. Secrets was truly spectacular and our meal at the buffet was definitely the best buffet I've ever eaten. Our guide was pleasant, but the sales pitch was somewhat heavy-handed and at one point it became almost insulting. A couple of hours in I told them if they couldn't handle a leaky roof, I wasn't giving them any more money ever, and their time was up.

We went as a couple, but I'm not sure Dreams Puerto Aventuras would have been that great for kids as a lot of frat boys and sorority girls were engaged in various drinking contests most of the time--though the bars brought in additional staff when needed to cover the rest of us.

Had they handled the leaky roof appropriately and quickly, I'd go back depending on the price, but I'd never sign up for their presentation again.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IanArnold

Dear IanArnold:

We are more than happy to know we did a great job and we accomplished your expectations in Mexico. Thank you for trusting in us and allow us to give you and excellent service, also for taking the time to share it with the TripAdvisor commuity. Definitely knowing that you have enjoyed your stay is very rewarding and keeps us on track to continue to offer each family and each guest the best of our services. Your opinions are what help us improve.

At the end of the day that is what we want to give you: Good times, great memories and excellent service. I would like to let you know your comments are really value to us and help us to be better everyday. It's great to know you enjoyed the service and facilities we were able to offer you!

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Very nice place. Great customer service. Could have had more activities inside facility when rainfall occurs all day long and concrete pillars at beach to block seaweed. Other than that, great stay! Will be going back to Dreams resorts

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Sune O, Redes Sociales en Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa at Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Dear Aharrison2018:

It´s great to know we did a great job and you had a great job! Thank you for choosing us and your preference!

We will be happy to see you come back again! Kind regards!