Reviews (11 144)
1 889
3 537
3 985
1 889
All reviews blue bay swing bar white bar sports bar seafood jaal ha a la carte restaurants smaller pool festival buffet french restaurant breakfast and lunch main pool stayed in building dinner show time share other resorts main buffet
490 - 495 of 11 144 reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Check in went pretty smoothly and we jumped straight onto a shuttle to our room. Room wasn’t suitable; a small ‘double bed’ for two grown adults and a 3 year old! Not a great start after 18hour end to end trip! In fairness, the bellboy quickly rectified the situation for us over the phone and took us to a different room on the opposite side of the resort (building 6) which in hindsight, is much more suitable for families than the original room located by the big beach pool. This area seems much rowdier with groups and drinkers. There are a lot of big groups.

Rooms are dated and tied, tatty in places. They do the job but it’s not somewhere you’d want to spend too much time relaxing. Lift was broken in block 6 for the entire time; 4 flights numerous times a day with a toddler and the paraphernalia that comes with them (buckets, spades, inflatables etc!!) my quads are solid now!!
Air con controller sparked every time we put it on and would only work if you jiggled it about a bit. Cleaning of rooms was average.

Food was generally good and varied. Don’t think I saw a waiter smile the whole time we were there. Sadly, I suspect good service only comes once they know you’re a ‘tipper’. Requesting things like a high chair at meal times was painfully slow and annoying! I gave up waiting a couple of times and went on a hunt! Baby food available on the buffet at lunch times which was nice to see.

Beach is covered in seaweed. Obviously out of the hands of the resort, they seemed to be attempting to clean it up throughout the day but they’re fighting a loosing battle. Lagoon is about 10 min walk away with crystal clear waters but strong current so not suitable for children or weak swimmers.

Kids club is the thing that both disappointed and scared me the most. In no circumstances should you leave your children solo at the kids club. They speak VERY LITTLE English. I accompanied my daughter on a couple of occasions so she could have a play and seek some shade from the midday sun. I witnessed the ‘kids club staff’ allow the children into the pool unsupervised, I watched people enter and leave the kids club thru an unlocked gate; strangers can easily wander in and out. It’s like the kids are an inconvenience. I must say that Carlos was actually good entertainment for the kids and had ok English. The female staff though - shocking to put ppl in charge of children when they are not multi lingual.
My daughter was desperate to play in kids club and I attempted to take her THREE times according to the activity programme to find no one there. In the end I tracked them down in the pool; the staff were simply bathing in the pool watching the adult entertainment not keeping an eye (or even playing with!) their kids. When I questioned them about the programme (ie why are you in the pool when the programme says it’s painting time) the girl smirked, shrugged her shoulders and replied something in Spanish.

Evening entertainment - took our daughter to mini disco twice and she was the only child there. It was cringe worthy. Really not suitable for children.

The adult entertainment by Club Coralie was ALL in French...and very loud. The French seemed to be enjoying it thou lol!
We went to a couple of shows and dinner show which were okay.

Overall, wouldn’t return and my recommendation is that it’s not suitable for young children.

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank hayleyl439
JOSE V, Gerente at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear

On behalf of the management team and our staff at Bluebay Grand Esmeralda, I appreciate the time taken to write about your recent experience. It is with great regret to hear about the inconsistencies with the level of service you encountered. Typically we are known to provideour guests with exceptional stays from the moment our guests arrive to the time they leave. It is so disappointig knowing you had challenges during your stay, especially with our kidz club and this ultimately affected your overal experience with us.
Please rest assured we have addressed your experiences with the corresponding departament heads for their internal review and we would like to continue our communication with you, please do not hesitate to contact us.
roomdivision.esmeralda@bluebayresorts.com
In the future, we hope to have an opportunity to host you for a stay that truly exceeds your expectations.

Kind Regards

Room Division Manager.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I stayed for 4 days at Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda. The staff is friendly and helpful. Food and drinks are below average. Same food everyday, drinks are not good quality. Rooms are very humid. If you are allergic forget it, you would not be able to breath. A good thing is they offered an alternative but I decided not to take it because it was not in a good location. They forgot to send a bell boy to help with my luggage at 4:00 am. Despite I made the request hours in advance. It is very pricey for what you get.

Trip type: Travelled solo
4  Thank golimo
JOSE V, Gerente at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Dear friends,

On behalf of all the staff of BlueBay Grand Esmeralda I wish to thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor, and for your preference.
We will make sure to share your comments with all our staff and it will be a privilege to serve you again in a near future.
If you need any help for your future reservations please feel free to contact us anytime.

See you soon,

Best regards,

Room Division Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon back in June 2017. When we arrived incredibly tired after our 10 hour flight, we checked in very quickly and our bags were put onto the shuttle bus and we made our way to our room. The room was clean, although slightly dated it was spacious, with a nice balcony looking over towards the beach. The choice of food is amazing, so many restaurants to choose from each day. Our favourite was the French restaurant, where our waiter was excellent. Every day the variety of food at the buffets was outstanding, with some nights having different themes. The service was brilliant. We spent our evenings in the black and white bar, which serve nice cocktails. There was one waitress who was exceptionally good at her job, can't remember her name but always smiling and so attentive. The pools were always clean, the one by the beach had lots of entertainment throughout the day. The beach was nice, although the seaweed wasn't nice, but there was always someone cleaning it up, and not a lot really the resort can do apart from that. Another thing which most people don't want to review is the doctors. Unfortunately on my trip I got a throat infection, and was very nervous about going to the doctors in a foreign country, but I needn't of worried. Doctor was very nice and prescribed me some anti biotics, which did the trick. The animals are lovely to see. One thing we did find annoying on our trip was the photographers walking around, they were quite pushy in wanting to take your pictures, which we always politely declined. The next day they would try again and it did start to get tedious. Apart from that, this was an absolutely amazing trip, we will never forget our wonderful honeymoon to Mexico, thank you so much!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Bethany009

Dear friends,

On behalf of all the staff of BlueBay Grand Esmeralda I wish to thank you for your great comments and for your preference.
We will make sure to share your lovely comments with all our staff and it will be a privilege to serve you again in a near future.

I will share your praises with my colleagues in order to recognize their hard work and effort to make your stay unforgettable.

See you soon,

Best regards,

Room Division Manager

Reviewed 29 March 2018

We just got back from our stay at the BlueBay Grand Esmeralda for our honeymoon. The resort was wonderful! They made sure to have a lot of activities for all ages, food and drinks were delicious, and the staff made you feel very special. We stayed in building number 5, it had a musty smell, but the room was clean and it did not trigger my asthma (which usually happens with must). Nuna(Nune?) the concierge made sure we were well informed of all the events occuring at the resort and our options. A lot of the hotel staff want to pull you in to a meeting to get in to their VIP program. They say it is a "quick meeting to discuss options for future vacations and they will give you a spa vouture or a day pass to the VIP area." We avoided these meetings as we guessed it was not going to be a quick meeting and wanted to enjoy our time in Mexico.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brittney H
Frederic C, Director General at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Dear Brittney,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your kind review and for your past stay at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda.
We are glad to read that you spent a pleasant holiday in our resort and thank you also for your feedback that is very useful for us.
We will congratulate Nune for her good attention.
We look forward to seeing you again in a near occasion and thank you again for your nice review an for preferring BlueBay Hotels.

Frédéric Ceglarski
Director

Reviewed 29 March 2018

The BlueBay Grand Esmeralda a beautiful resort, the grounds are big but it's still walkable. On our arrival after check in we were cornered by time share sales, they are very sneaky in saying they are the welcome crew and would like to fill you in on the resort and how to get around. They were very hard to get away from and sprinkled through the resort, kinda had to duck and run from them a lot until they got the hint. The pool area is large with many chairs as is the beach, but music was BOOMING all day and you could not escape the noise. It was a party resort, had I known I would not have chosen to stay there. The room was ok... smelt of mildew when we arrived and seem to get better as we stayed. Not new but was clean other than the tropical mildew smell. The breakfast buffet by the pool was by far the best food and service. Daniel and Eurmondo were super sweet and remembered us each day, best service I have ever had. Side note bring lots of small bills in US funds to tip, they can not accept ANY coin (Canadian loonie and twoonies). Then the beach... Oh my FULL of seaweed, no swimming through gobs and clumps of that.. SO gross and disappointing. Apparently from a storm blowing it in, but I have never seen this before and the water was wast deep at best with mushy bottom. There is a beautiful crystal clear senote a 10 minute walk down the beach, go there to swim for sure!! OH and our door lock was tampered with while we slept on the 1st night, we had to get it repaired ASAP and did NOT feel SAFE after that! The patio door did not lock properly and the cleaning service left it open after room service every time. Did I have an ok vacation, yes... Would I go back there NO!!!

Room tip: beach or garden view
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Nicole N
JOSE V, Gerente at BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Dear Friends:

First of all let me thank you for having chosen us to spend your precious holidays in our wonderful Mayan Riviera.

On behalf of the management team and our staff at Bluebay Grand Esmeralda. I appreciate the time taken to write about your recent experience and we are deeple regret to hear about some issues you encountered, especially the seaweed and noise and this ultimately affected your overal experience with us.

Please rest assure we have addressed your feedback with the corresponding department heads for their internal review.

I will share your your praises with my colleagues Daniel and Edmudo and will be looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

Sincerely