Reviews (18 363)
14 550
2 480
14 550
2 480
All reviews maria marie chef's plate coffee house romance concierge spice restaurant danny boy jose garcia frozen grapes hour lounge ocean view turn down service tequila bar our honeymoon lobby bar beach butler presidential suite il pescatore
436 - 441 of 18 363 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Panama Jack is where we always stay, it's next door and their sister hotel, but because of our room category at PJ we get full access to The Royal and we spend all of our time there pretty much. Our breakfast stop was at Spice, Christian was usually our waiter, the staff is great and the food is tasty, they remember us each time we come back to the hotel. The pool bar staff are the best, so much fun, we spend a lot of time at the swim up bar and Tradewinds, Magdiel at Tradewinds is so great, nice, helpful and very friendly, we have become good friends with him. Reyes at the swim up is the party starter, along with his co-workers Ezequiel, Iovani, Nelson, and Jose, great guys, and know we love our Don Julio shots, they always have some waiting for us.Erik the pool waiter is great, takes top notch care of us every time, a good friend. Pelicanos is always a good lunch spot and you must ask for Lucas, he is so sweet and makes us a special off the menu lunch, this time surf and more surf, so tasty. We ate at Maria Marie for the first time and it was really good, we had the lobster special, so good! There was a group of drunk guys that came in hammered, literally laid on the floor to wait for a table and they still served him, not good, but the staff there is amazing and took excellent care of us. Asiana is our favorite spot, we ate there a few times for dinner, best spring rolls ever! I love my sushi, so that is what I always order a lot of, my husband likes to get their surf & turf, he tried a shrimp dish this time as well, and all was great, the staff there are wonderful too!.Rincon is a great lunch place, the tacos are the best, the chef made us a special ceviche off menu. We loved the new snack place between the pool and the lobby, great pizza to order, delicious wraps, and very friendly staff. The beach has seen better days, no fault of the hotel, blame mother nature on the huge amounts of seaweed, but we still hung out there and had a great time, we are beach people so it was all good. We got to see the foam party a couple of times and it is something to see for sure, ha! We actually booked at The Royal for our 20th anniversary in December, so happy to go back and actually sleep there, ha! And to see all of our friends that work there again, see you soon!

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank THEONLYMRSHOLLYWOOD1
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear THEONLYMRSHOLLYWOOD1,

Dear Guest,
Your comments are very important for us and we are grateful that you take some minutes from your valuable time and make this fabulous review from us.
Thank you again for your valuable review and for visiting us, see you in December!!

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I actually stayed at Panama Jack, in a room that has access to The Royal, so I can't review the rooms but I did have access to the remainder of the property.

This was a solo trip to just get away from work and relax. My plan was to arrive an not have to plan anything, just take each day as it came and meet new people. Excursions required some level of planning, so I did none of those, but I did walk around the shopping district which this hotel is well located for (though, I will say that I found the shopping district to be very touristy and not the more authentic local experience I prefer). The beach was full of seaweed at the time I went, so I didn't go in, though the sand was nice and there were a few people swimming in the ocean, I just stuck to the pool.

The food was pretty good, I was told that at some of the restaurants you need reservations but being a solo traveler/diner I found that not to be the case and a table was always available. The restaurants all have different hours/meals so they won't all be open at the same time, but having access to the restaurants at Panama Jack also gives you more options. The food/snacks in the 24hr VIP Lounge were pretty tastey (also, it says 'VIP' in the name but is available to all guests, not just the members or nicer rooms). There are a couple of menu items that are not included in the 'all-inclusive', the lobster and dry-aged steak if I remember correctly. This made going to Pelicano's a bit confusing as they have prices on their dinner menu, though it is included in the all-inclusive (I think it's also available to locals/tourists not staying at The Roal, since it is right on the beach, and that's why there's prices?)

The drinks were good, the bartenders were fast and attentive and have no problems making any drink stronger. They had Jack and Crown, so the same stuff I would drink at home which was nice. The servers that walk around the pool area get very busy, if you tip you'll get significatly better/quicker service.

I spent most of my time in a cabana by the pool, playing yard games, talking to people, and I played a ton of water volleyball. The net is near the swim up bar which was great for getting your between game drinks or just hanging out with the people you just played with after the games wind down. The main pool is pretty long which was nice because even if there were activities going on at the front of it, the middle and back of the pool could still be used for relaxing. Also, the pool with the watervolleyball had a sectioned off circle area and a bridge (far enough back to not interfer with the games) which kinda seperated the court off from the other half of the pool and allowed that pool to also be used for relaxing with easy access to the swim up bar (by going under another bridge away from the volleyball area). There is also a show each night, usually acrobatics and dancing. The shows were entertaining, just don't expect this to be the Cirque du Soleil or anything and you'll have a good time. By the time the show was over I would take a short walk on the beach and go crash. If there had been more poolside activities a bit later into the evening, that would have been nice. They do the shock treatment at 9pm so the pool and hot tub close a bit early IMHO, I think 10 would be more reasonable. For those that want to stay out, other guests were telling me about some fun bars that were walking distance right down the beach.

I met a ton of people, probably 50+ that I talked to for more than a quick greeting. he first time I was not-happy on this trip was when I realized some of the people I had connected with were leaving the next day and I didn't get a chance to say goodbye... (I saw them the next morning, waiting for their shuttle!) and then of course when it was time for me to leave. Most of the people staying here were from the US (especially TX), though there were some people from Canada, Argentina, Brazil and other Ssouth American countries since it was their winter. My favorite memories will be the people I met, including a family of 11 who were welcoming and invited me to eat with them on a couple of ocassions and a new friend who lives in Mexico but spoke english well so we spent hours talking about everything form politics and religion to everyday life and travel.

I had a great time while at this resort and will definitely return when it's time for another do nothing and relax vacation.

A suggestion for the resort managment: Let your staff try the different restaurants. It's really frustrating asking the staff what their favorite thing/place to eat was and their response being that they are not allowed to eat at the resort, but they could suggest places in town. Even a guy who seemed like a Maître D' or a restaurant manager who rotated restaurants every night (who was awesome, but I forgot to note down his name, Edgar maybe? Sorry!) wasn't able to answer this simple question because he wasn't able to eat at the restaurants he worked.

For the remainder of this review, I'm going to drop a few names of some of the staff that made this trip so much fun:
Victor (Entertainment staff): Victor spent 5-10 minutes talking to me the first time we even met, and remembered my name for the remainder of my stay (pretty impresive considering how many people he must meet). I was a little hesitant about talking to the staff in-depth at first because I know they have a job to do, but Victor took the time to initiate the longer conversation which made me feel more welcome and open to meeting the staff and hearing a little about their lives.
Ruth (Entertainment staff): Always happy and smiling and a pleasure to talk to. Also throws down a mean serve/return in water-volleyball when the teams were uneven and we needed an additional player. When I went to ask her a question about when something was starting, it was going to occur while she was doing the bracelet making, and she offered to make me a bracelet since I wouldn't be able to do both. I declined the offer but it was a very nice gesture.
Christoper (Entertainment staff): Man, this guy has so much positive energy... and just energy in general because he did all of the exercise activities around, and in, the pool. He also helps run the pool-side mini games and everything he did was with a smile.
Sergio (Entertainment staff): This guy rocks at the mini-games. He beat me at bocce ball and horeshoes, but kept it fun and chill. (Note: his score was not actually counted when determining the winner for the games, and other guests beat him anyway, haha).
Mario (Bar/poolside wait staff): Mario always had a smile on his face and when roped into a show by the entertainment staff gave it his all to be entertaining and fun. He was always so busy I only got to talk to him for like 15 seconds, but when he saw me again after our discussion his face lit up and he said hi (though, still busy, always busy!) When he was doing the poolside service I wasn't in the area he was working, but I wish I was because he also had great hustle and seemed to be providing the best service out there.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank TheOneGuyDoug

Dear TheOneGuyDoug,

Thank you very much for your recent visit and for taking the time to post your review. We hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience once again.
We would like to express our sincerest gratitude for your recent visit to THE Royal Playa del Carmen and also would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It really makes us feel good when we learn that we have been successful in accomplishing our mission of making your vacation unforgettable.
It is always so rewarding to know that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay memorable
We look forward to pampering you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

First time here and it is a good experience. It’s near the town, yet on the beach. The staff is friendly and amenities are nice. In particular, the spa was excellent. Mily performed an excellent deep tissue massage and was courteous and professional.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear Allen F.,

We really appreciate this review. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you. We hope that you come back and enjoy once again of all our services!
We are very happy to read that Mily is doing a great job as well our entire staff. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Everything about this trip was wonderful. Everyone was super friendly and the food was delicious. Eat at Pelicano's for lunch - amazing taco bar. I recommend Spice for breakfast - buffet and excellent build your own omelette bar. My favorite employee was Sergio hands down. He was a part of the entertainment team and he really committed to his activities.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Michelle T,

We really appreciate this review. We are very happy to hear that it was a great experience for you. Thank you for choosing us to spend your vacation.
We hope to see you again in your second home, “THE Royal Playa del Carmen”

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Love this Resort .. The Resort and the Staff… And I do mean the Staff was excellent.. We had breakfast and lunch at the El Mediterraneo with Hector/Julio /Alfonzo/Ezequiel and rest of the great staff.. Also you have Alfonso/Roberto/Antonio/Fredy and the great staffs at the Pelicanos where the Lobster dinner is the best. I love this restaurant but, for me the stray cats does nothing for the great ambience of the restaurant. Keeping the stray cats out will look good coming from health/allergy perspective . If you are at the resort on a Saturday, don’t miss the foam party at the pool. It was great! Last but the best for my wife was the Turn Down service by Manuel.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor Garden view.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grace216
Lynn D, Gerente at The Royal Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear grace216,

Thank you very much for your visit to THE ROYAL Playa del Carmen, we really appreciate you have taken the time to share your great review.
We would like to mention that our goal is to ensure our guest satisfaction, we always make our best effort in making feel our guest special and valued during their stay and we are so proud that we did with you!
We hope to welcome you back soon!