“Terrible service and demanding tip”
Review of La Vaca Gaucha

La Vaca Gaucha
Ranked #198 of 1 514 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I went there last week with my friends as we were on holidays in Playa del Carmen. As we love Argentinian food, we wanted our friends to try it. Unfortunately we didn't choose the right place, the food was okay, very salty but overall, fine.

The service, TERRIBLE! As soon as we arrive, the waiters looks annoyed that we were sitting down and making them work. We were 3 people speaking Spanish and the rest English, the waiters clearly spoke English as well but they didn't even try to speak it. I understand is a Spanish speaking country and my partner and friends tried their best to speak Spanish but the staff made it very difficult for them to understand.

They spoke so fast, even I couldn't understand being from a Spanish speaking country. My partner asked for the beers and the waiter told them too fast, when he asked to repeat it again, the man made an annoyed face and I had to tell him that he said it too fast even for me to understand.

All through out the night, they all looked annoyed to be serving us but at the end, they asked for a 15% tip that they didn't deserved. When I asked if it was mandatory the man looked shocked and angry, telling me that ''I'm paying for the service''.... A TERRIBLE SERVICE

Apparently they don't get paid properly and the owner of the place takes 8% of their salary as far as the waiter said. It is their job to do well the service, without even expecting tip. Normally we do give tip without asking but if you do such a terrible service, do not expect anything from me because you don't deserve it.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank camiesco1

Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

The place is nice and tidy, way overstaffed for the low season.
Service was excellent, so was the food.
I had a Churasco, grilled MR which was perfect. So was my baked empanada as a starter.
Had a couple of beers.
Paid around 30$ in total at the end.

Only to learn that Thursdays you get 2 for one steaks
Brought back to my appt' and had it for lunch the next day.

Splendid

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

They have lots of discounts like 1+1 on the steak which was amazing!!! The service was perfect. Good prices, food was fresh and tasty. Ended up eating dinner for 3 nights straight.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Dinner was so good! Excellent quality steak and wine selection. The service was superb. Next time we're in town, I'll be going back for sure.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 31 July 2018 via mobile

I can only vouch for the meal my husband and I ate of course. My Chicken creole lacked taste. Very bland and lacking in flair. Just a plain grilled chicken piece topped with ham, cheese and red peppers. Not seasoning. The pizza was a poor menu choice too. I think this restaurant probably serves better steaks, however, at the price I wasn't tempted to try one.

Date of visit: July 2018