Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$249
US$215
  • Breakfast included
El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$205
Iberostar Tucan Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
Free cancellation until 02/08
US$317
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$429/night.

Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$517
US$458
US$439
Bookit.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$486/night.

The Carmen Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$248
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$355
US$276
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$879
US$747
Reviews (10 814)
10 814 results
7 088
2 290
7 088
2 290
All reviewsgran porto realil pescatoresushi barmaria's restaurantreal resortocean frontsports and entertainmentfishing boatssand bagsjunior suitestandard roommayan coffeeentertainment staffbike tourkids clubwater aerobicsfifth avenue
39 - 44 of 10 814 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked this hotel knowing that kids would be there, but my room included access to The Royal which is where I spent most of my time. In the future I think I would just book The Royal to be a bit closer and the hallways wouldn't have both parents and kids yelling both late at night and in the mornings. Note: Every room at The Royal includes access to this resort, only some rooms here have access to The Royal!

The good: The room was pretty amazing. Having a beach front walk-out was nice, would have been nicer if there was a way to secure the room when leaving from the beach side. The bathroom was large and well maintained (though, no fan to remove humidity). I did like that there was a Best Day travel agent on site which made arranging my return shuttle a breeze.

The meh: The restaurants were alright with happy and attentive staff. Food could have been better. There were also always small flys in my bathroom sink, which seemed a bit odd. There are sales people that try to get you to sign up for a timeshare/membership type thing, I found mine to be pretty low pressure who dropped it when I said I didn't want to spend 1.5+ hours of my vacation in a sales seminar. Though, I was told by other guests that I was lucky and their sales person was significantly more pushy. Also while the resort boasts 7 restaurants, they're not all open for the same hours/meals so without having access to The Royal you may be disappointed in your food choices for longer stays.

Now on to the problems:
The Beach: Unfortunately there was a lot of seaweed so I didn't get to go in the water. Also the swimming portion of the beach for this resort was rather small due to most of it having boats docked. I did notice that there a sign indicating that the beach was rocky and to use caution. It was nice to walk along though. This side of the beach was never busy, except the volleyball courts which where only up for about half of my stay. Also, the volleyball courts were only used by locals. I was able to get a couple games in when people were playing that were not massively above my skill level and didn't mind me joining so there's that at least. (Also, I played a TON of water volleyball at The Royal, who did have that on their events calendar twice a day)

Room Service: I called Room Service one time, to ask for a menu because one was not left in my room. They said they would bring it by immediately. I waited 30 minute and did not receive a menu. Went to the front desk, got a menu, but decided against wasting my time on if my order would ever arrive since the entire point was to relax and I didn't find it to be a relaxing experience.

House Keeping: Inconsistent. Some days I receiveved turn down service but most days I didn't. Some days clothes were folded into a nice pile, other days they were not. There is an envelope with the housekeeper's name asking for a tip, I figured since it was a named person (rather than rotating staff) I could do a single tip at the end of the trip, maybe I would have got better service if I had tipped daily. Or maybe it's not a single person and the name on the envelope is to make you feel more connected to a person you never meet.

Staff: I booked on a different site which had the option of paying for the room in advance or when I arrived. I chose to pay in advance so that when I arrived I wouldn't have to worry about anything else until it was time to get back on the plane home. Short version: Boy was I wrong, and the staff didn't seem to put the effort into resolving it without me. Long version: Upon check-in they told me that they did not receive payment from my booking website so I forwarded them the email that had my confirmation number and show my status as paid, and then showed them on my banking app where my credit card was charged the full amount. Since it was booked two days before I arrived it showed 'Pending' status and they said that meant that they needed to charge me and the 'Pending' transaction would go away. I told them they were wrong, that is not what a pending charge means, and they were not authorized to charge my card. They continued to check me in and said they would call and try to get it resolved the next day. After I got back to my room (late) the next day I had a note that said I need to come by the front desk or concierge. After visiting the front desk they said I had to come to the concierge in the morning because they knew nothing about the note. The next morning I went back and was told the concierge would not be there until 9:30am, which did not meet the times I was told upon check-in, however the person was aware of the reason for the note and said it was related to billing. I showed them on my phone where the 'Pending' transaction was now marked as 'Sale' meaning it had gone through, asked them to provide this information to the concierge staff as I was not planning my vacation around them and I would not be there when the concierge staff arrived and would be back after they closed again. I proceeded to go back to my room and sent a message to the site I booked through, asking them to call the hotel and resolve the issues. I got an email on my phone from the website at 9:32am saying it had been resolved, so I thought nothing more of it. Then when I got back to my room there was another letter asking me to come to concierge (this time with a time on it, as I had suggested they put more information on their notes). I planned my next morning around their schedule and when I arrived I was told that the issue was resolved and I could enjoy my day. I asked why I did not receive another letter saying it was resolved and I didn't need to come by and they said it was resolved after concierge closed at 5p. When I mentioned the email time they insisted that it happened after 5p. My real takeaway is that they had my confirmation number, an email saying I was paid, and the amount billed... there should have been no reason to disrupt my vacation to have gotten the issue resolved with their business partners.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank TheOneGuyDoug
silvestrevazquez, Gerente General at Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear TheOneGuyDoug,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share the feedback of your recent stay to Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen.

We are delighted to read a really detail review of your experience with our services. It was an honor to know that you enjoyed the room accommodations, the attentive and professional service of the staff, and facilities of our sister resort The Royal.

Thank you for share your observations and concerns regarding the inconvenience you had in the resort.
Please, rest assured that we will address with the Food and beverage team, Room service, Housekeeping and Front desk to give the proper follow up.

Regarding the beach, unfortunately, we are on sargassum season that is something that is out off our hands, but we are working hard to keep it clean as possible for all our guests. We, as well regret this mother nature issue.

We hope to have a second opportunity of welcoming you back for your next adventure and exceed your expectations

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It's obvious that this place is trying to save a few bucks and by doing so they are ruining the guest experience. We had the master suite so we could go to restaurants at Panama Jack and the Royal across the street. The bar drinks at both places had kool aid instead of cranberry juice in the drinks. There has only one waitress for the whole pool at Panama Jack. The Vodka was either very low quality or blended with cheap Tequila. Getting room service was impossible. There were sales people bothering you in the lobby. The price was nuts - $250 per person per day. I was there with a local person that manages a restaurant in Cozumel. She got sick the night after dinner and I got sick the next day. They are intentionally trying to rip off Americans. Plain and simple.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joshua B

Dear Joshua B,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your impressions regarding your recent stay. We are sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your vacation.

Please, rest assured that we will share your concerns with our food and beverage team and Real Club timeshare to give the correct internal follow-up.

We are committed to making feel to all our guests happy and comfortable during their vacations giving all that we have to offer to create fond memories of this experience in the resort.

We hope to have a second opportunity of welcoming you back and exceed your expectations at Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen.

Best Regards

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

great resort! the best part of the hotel is the staff! always making you feel like part of the family! the sports and entertainment staff is amazing! especial mention to cesar and manuel ! they are fun and always have something going on around the pool! look for them if you come and want to have a great time!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Dear Klauren942,

Thank you for writing a review of your recent visit to Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen.
Is a pleasure to read that your time with us was amazing and you enjoyed all the activities that our sports and entertainment team had to offer for all our guests.

Please, rest assured that we will share your kind comments with Cesar and Manuel. They are a shining example of the staff you can find on the resort bringing a service of the heart.

We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again for your next adventure and continue exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We really like this hotel chain. Stayed 8 years ago at the one in Cancun as a family and stayed a yr ago just my husband and I at The Royal in Playa. Both times we splurged on Beachfront walkout/swim up suits. Preferring Playa to Cancun, we decided to bring our 2 teen son's and try Panama Jack. Once again we upgraded to the Beachfront Walkout suite. As always, rooms were amazingly clean and comfortable for being top end but very disappointed that the in-room top shelf full-size alcohol bar that we enjoyed both times previously has been reduced to taster sizes and even though we asked to be left plenty every day (This is supposed to be all-inclusive and we did stay in the 2nd best suite they had), were rationed to 2 tasters a day. The food was really good. The Brazilian and Mexican places were great for dinner but no options other than the buffet for breakfast. We enjoyed the rooftop pool and the sushi bar. The beach was not appealing with the sandbags, rocks, and seaweed. Glad that we had access to the Royal next door with our room purchase because we spent a lot of time there. Our son's wished that the game room had a video game area as our oldest of 18 was not allowed to go into the kid's room where the video game area was. If you are used to paying for just standard room vacations then Panama Jack will exceed expectations but we expect more when we pay for upgraded amenities. We will not be returning.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on top upgrade rooms. Value for your money is not worth it. Beach is less than desirable.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank RnK15

Dear RnK15,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions regarding your recent visit to Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the services as restaurants, the room accommodations,

Our team is committed to creating fond memories of this adventure in the resort with all the options as activities, shows, rooms, restaurants, bars, and attentive and professional service of the heart.

Thank you for granting us the opportunity to host you and sharing your observations, these will help us to improve our services for all our future guests.

We truly hope to have a second opportunity of welcoming you back again and do all that is on our hands to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We love you Caesar ! (Like the salad) you are making our vacation wonderful ... Manuel at Deck 74 we love you too ! Great service ... entertainment staff always working to make us happy ...Carlos too
Great resort so much fun .. Eduardo in the Mexican restaurant so accommodating .. can’t wait to go back for dinner there

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Kenneally3
silvestrevazquez, Gerente General at Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Kenneally3,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to Panama Jack Resorts Playa del Carmen,
We are really happy to read that you are satisfied with the service of our sports and entertainment team and our food and beverage team.

It is always a pleasure to know that your vacation was amazing with the service from the staff.
we are committed to bringing a service from the heart for all our guests.
We will pass on your kind comments to Cesar, Carlos, Manuel, and Eduardo. They will be really happy.

We hope to have a second opportunity of welcoming you back for your next adventure and continue exceeding your expectations!