El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$218
Hotels.com
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$251
US$215
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Maya Royale(Playa del Carmen)
US$237
US$179
Bookit.com
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$222/night.

Free cancellation until 26/07
US$359
US$293
US$456
US$417
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$359
US$263
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$645
US$492
  • Beachfront
The Carmen Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$248
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Tucan Hotel(Playa del Carmen)
US$317
US$254
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$879
US$747
Reviews (5 184)
5 184 results
3 791
3 791
All reviewslas ventanasthe grilldinner reservationsallegria barvilla conciergespices restaurantclub royaledeck restaurantinfinity poolwalk in closetdinner theaterchef's tableother resortsour honeymoonall inclusive resortmake reservationspool service
57 - 62 of 5 184 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve been going to RH for the twenty years it’s been open and it still delivers a nice vacation. This was my 6th visit to RH and I hope to go again. I’m from Texas and the Riviera Maya is my go to place for 35 years. I’ve been to many of the other highly rated resorts and never been disappointed but RH is the only one I return to. I like it’s small size and dependable service. The food and drink is good quality and the service at the pool and beach is outstanding. Room service is fast. The twice a day maid service keeps the small bathroom from being a problem. The resort is well maintained but you can see it’s age in some places if you look closely. I don’t like the thermostats like these that reset to default temperature when you are out of the room or sleeping. I really like the security of RH and recommend their airport pickup. Don’t go to RH if you want a crazy wild party place. It’s a place to relax and be taken good care of while you enjoy beautiful surroundings.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dubgun
Community M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Dubgun,

We would like to express our gratitude for the comments you have made about your recent visit, since they help us to understand how our guests enjoy their stay with us. It is always our goal to achieve the maximum satisfaction of our customers and we are delighted to hear that they enjoyed their vacations with us. We continually strive to offer the best quality and ensure that all our guests return home with beautiful memories of their vacations.

We are pleased that you have chosen us on your holidays, your opinion is very important to us and we assure you that we will share it internally

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was our second trip within a year to Royal Hideaway. They've lost the attention to detail that made this the only place we ever wanted to travel to in Mexico. Not sure we will return.

Best Part:

The views at RH are insane. The pool is right on the beach so that when you are at the pool you can hear and see the ocean. It's like the best of both world...beach and beautiful pool!

Staff are fantastic. The staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful. They don't ever seem to be having a bad day. Always with a smile and not sure I ever heard one say they couldn't do something. Louis at the pool/beach bar was fantastic. We remembered him from our previous trip and he was just as good this time. Pinedez (not sure of spelling) at spices was the best waiter we had. He made suggestions, and was always spot on. His english was great too which just made it easier. The whole staff is just spectacular.

Worst Part:

Well this wouldn't be accurate if I didn't mention I got food poisoning on our last night there. I understand things can happen, but it just seemed to be the "cherry on top" of a trip where the attention to detail wasn't the same as it had been in the past. The RH is the only resort we ever wanted to go to in Mexico but this trip definitely has us reconsidering.

Restaurants:

At every meal, they were out of something we requested. They were out of ketchup one day, they ran out of pico one day. The pico is outstanding, when they have it. They didn't have the lobster one night. At the pool ordered guacamole and pico for my wife and I and when they brought it there was literally about 2-3 bites of each. So the next day, I ordered the same thing but ask for extra guacamole and pico. Several times I said "grande size" and the waiter said no problem. What I got was comical. They brought out the SAME exact amount of guacamole BUT it was in a much bigger bowl. Really made us laugh. Then didn't get ANY pico because they were out.

Bars/night entertainment:

Our last stay there really wasn't a lot of nighttime entertainment. They have added nightly shows since our last stay and they were entertaining. They've also added to activities at the bar at night and these were very popular, but it also was very upsetting to people at the resort because they only would last an hour. They'd go from 10-11pm. They had casino night and a karaoke night and everyone was having a lot of fun and then before you know it, they shut it down. Imagine karaoke lasting an hour at a bar and shutting down while people are all there enjoying themselves. One night they actually ran out of vodka. This is purely speculation, but several of the guests we met there believe they didn't want to encourage drinking because of the expense to the hotel so that is why they shut down the activities so quickly. It definitely would make sense because after the activities shut down, most people just left the bar. Started to think it was also true based on room service. When we'd use room service, it seemed they would try to discourage us from using it by telling us it would be a very long time. One night they told us an hour, and then told our friends 15 minutes. (Ordered the same things).

Transportation:

I set up transportation with the hotel like I did the time before but this time it was not smooth at all. When we got there the driver expected to be paid directly (last time we paid the hotel). This was fine, except the guy at the hotel seemed to panic about us paying him and asked if we got his number, and what agency he was with and if we knew he'd be back for our departure. When I told him I didn't know those things because the hotel set it all up, he told me that wasn't their transportation group. I told him I had all the email back and forth with the hotel and someone there set it up and that was the transportation group with my name (I have an unusual last name so it could not be an accident). He asked me to forward the emails to him which I did. This is not a complaint about HIM at all! He was looking out for us. His name is Roger, and frankly he put us at ease by saying he'd take care of it. So this isn't a complaint about him at all, but just another case of the attention to detail by the hotel not being the same. The day before our departure, our concierge asked about our transportation and asked who the agency was etc... (similar to arrival conversation). I told her we didn't make the arrangements but she was convinced it wasn't done by the hotel. I said I had the emails (again) and she said "oh she sent you information on it" as if the hotel didn't actually set it up. So I showed her the emails also (which made it VERY clear the person at the hotel set it up). The email actually says "ok that's all we need. You're driver will be outside with your name..".

Additional issues:

Property and Room:

This is somewhat comical, but the part of the shower that is the handheld was aimed OUT the door of the shower so that when you turned on the shower it sprayed you straight in the face. It's comical because it was that way for us AND the friends we were there with. Just another symptom of a lack of paying attention to the details. In our room, the refrigerator didn't work and the ceiling fan was too noisy to use at night.

Around the pool area, where there were lights in the walkway, they had been removed so that now there were just holes with wires hanging out. The pool had tiles falling off and some had fallen into the pool. One of the hot tubs didn't work. (Neither hot tub worked last time either). Wouldn't think you'd want a hot tub, but at night it gets breezy and a hot tub would be great.

Overall impressions:

Read my first review and you'll see we LOVED this place when we came less than a year ago. It's why we came back so soon. I don't know if it's because they're running so many discounted rates that they can't afford upkeep or afford to pay such close attention to detail, but they've really lost a lot of what was so good with the RH.

If you get one of their discounted rates, it's still a beautiful place to go with great staff. Hopefully the food poisoning was a one time deal. I just wouldn't consider this a 4.5 star resort anymore. It's not that we won't consider returning, but after our last trip, we didn't even consider another resort for this trip and now I think we will have to consider some other options.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James W

Dear Mr. Wolfinbarger,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent vacation with us.

It is with regret however that some aspects of our hotel did not meet your expectations; We are working with all the staff to give you the best service. Your comments have been taken on board and will help to improve our service and quality of them for all our guests.

We strongly believe that there is always room for improvement and your comments will assist our team in their continuous efforts aimed at meeting our guests' expectations, therefore we greatly appreciate the time you took out of your day to share your constructive critics.

Our guests' comments provide us with an opportunity to see our hotel through their eyes giving us insight into any service that may have room for improvement to enhance our future guests' stay among us, therefore we are grateful for the time you spent to share a review of your personal experience in the hotel.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Warmest Regards!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a fantastic time during our 66 th visit (almost three weeks) from the last week in April through mid-May. Yes. The service was phenomenal, with all veteran and new staff members extending themselves to all guests to insure that everyone had a great time. The weather was perfect, with perhaps a half a day of rain during that extended period of time. The verdict is in, and we are absolutely looking forward to our 67 th visit and many visits beyond, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Dining, entertainment, professional service and the overall ambiance were excellent, both during the day as well as during the evening. Staff remain vigilant as they continue to meticulously clean, shine, repair, paint, prune, and rake in order to meticulously foster a pristine and overall environment of paradise that is completely ultra-service oriented to exceed the expectations of each guest.
There is a complete feeling of tranquility, peace and safety, as you walk the tree lined paths glancing at the artfully designed gardens and small private pools scattered throughout the property. This is a property with an extremely small footprint, having just 200 luxurious rooms situated within 11 villas, each with its personal concierge to attend to your requests, make dinner reservations, arrange any excursions, spa services, attend to special requests for birthday, anniversary celebrations, etc. Meet with your concierge upon your arrival and discuss any special request. I.e. is there a special soft drink/ beer you would like in your mini fridge? Do you have a special pillow preference? We had two wonderful concierge members this visit, Miguel who is fairly new but was wonderful, and then Graciela, upon her return. Graciela is a true superstar, and has become far more than our concierge. Housekeeping is remarkable and both Loyda and Elizabeth did a great job during the day assuring that everything was pristine in our room. Vicki was the night turn down housekeeper, who is a veteran staff member at Royal Hideaway and is a woman who takes genuine pride in her work. She is surely a part of our Royal Hideaway family. We want to also acknowledge Gabby Rodriguez, Manager of housekeeping, who absolutely insured that everything was just as it should be.
Dining at Royal Hideaway is one of the very special features of this property. It is not a place where you are just eating, rather you are dining, so relax enjoy and savor your experiences. Enjoy the before or after dinner drink at Ventanas piano bar, or perhaps at Allegria where there is nightly entertainment. More on that later. There is a dress code at Royal Hideaway, and we are incredibly pleased that there is. It is truly wonderful to have the opportunity to get dressed, and dine in a fine restaurant, with incredibly attentive professional service. Let’s face it, there are few places left where men and woman have the opportunity to enjoy dinner elegance. It is possible here, so please respect the dress code and enjoy the evening. Men should wear long pants (not jeans) a collared skirt, and closed toe shoes, not tennis shoes, while dining in Ventanas, Palazzo, Azia and Club Royale. Woman can wear a dress, skirt and top, pants (not jeans) capris and shoes of their choosing with the exception of beach flip flops. The Grill, transformed from the Deck restaurant during the day, and Spices, situated directly above the Grill and offering a majestic view of the sand and sea, now allow a more relaxed dress code. While dining at The Grill, men can wear dress shorts (not gym shorts) or jeans and tennis shoes or sandals (not beach flip flops) Woman can wear a dress. , skirt, pants, capris, jeans, dress shorts, and shoes of their choosing; however, please not beach flip flops. Spices is similar, with the exception of shorts not requested for men. The wait staff in all of the restaurants bend over backwards to offer you a wonderful dining experience.
Christian Rivas continues to be more than exemplary as he completely manages the entire Deck and restaurant area during breakfast and lunch, through late afternoon. The staff with whom he works thoroughly respect and admire him, as do all of the guests. Christian remains a true gem and is genuinely the primary mechanism that facilitates the Deck area operating as a well-oiled machine. He and Claudia, the smiling hostess, happily greet each guest and cordially escort each guest to his/ her preferred seat.
Wait staff at the pool, beach and all restaurants were incredibly professional and super accommodating. In particular, kudos go out to Javier Batun, who is far more than a waiter, noticing small details and insuring that he absolutely addresses them immediately with great kindness, and the veteran Royal Hideaway mantra of, “ Is there anything else I can do for you?”. There was a little drizzle and my lounge chair towels had become wet. Javier quickly ran and brought me new dry towels. He is indeed a very special person. Ricardo Rivera,(consistently insuring that our water was ice cold and that we had our appropriate cold beverages) Genaro, Luis Dominguez, Ezequiel and Shiara (a fairly new waiter, but absolutely wonderful woman) are all more than fantastic, as they insure that you have what you need prior to you asking or even realizing that you might want it. Knowing that my husband enjoys a decaf cappuccino with a few cookies, Genaro would regularly just bring it to him daily around 4:00 p.m., with. “It’s time for your cappuccino”, and a big smile!
Of course Adrian Chi, Chef in Azia is an incredibly talented and kind man who prepared wonderful yummy treats along with his right hand man, Victor. My husband calls him his son and Adrian calls him his father. While we enjoy dining at a traditional table, many guests enjoy the teppanaki (hibachi) table, as it affords an opportunity to mingle with and get to know many other guests, while enjoying the culinary display presented right at your table.
Palazzo remains a very special romantic venue sitting at the very pinnacle of Royal Hideaway, where if you elect to dine al fresco, on the terrace, you will enjoy the view of the entire property as well as of Cozumel, as it is illuminated by the night stars and lunar lights. Sergio is indeed a super professional and sophisticated Captain, who insures that each of his guests enjoy a very special dinner. He is an absolute asset to Royal Hideaway. Chef Charlie (Carlos) has grown so very much as he prepares his special tasty treats. I enjoyed a very beautiful birthday dinner at Palazzo, complete with a rose petal adorned table and a fantastic dining experience, as well as a yummy cake. Ricardo, Sebastian and Ismael are super professional waiters, and can answer any of your questions that you may have regarding the menu.
Ventanas is the home of the piano bar where we love to enjoy a before dinner cocktail prior to enjoying our dinner here or elsewhere. Mark loves his apple martini and of course I am in love with my watermelon martini, made with very fresh watermelon. Just ask for a sandia (watermelon) martini and you too can enjoy it. We are in love with the ambiance of this restaurant and enjoy its very pristine, sleek appearance and truly enjoy the piano music. Alberto Barragan is an incredibly professional waiter with a wonderful personality who knows exactly what we like, and of what we are not particularly fond of, and is always right there to meet our need and exceed our expectations. We thoroughly enjoy his way of making our dining experience very special. Kudos also go to Captains Adrian and Joel, for assuring that everyone enjoyed the amenities of the restaurant in a very special style.
The Grill is the al fresco venue that is magically transformed from The Deck during the day, where you will be greeted by the gracious and very professional Captain, Marco. Although sharing the exact location, The Grill is absolutely very different in both ambiance and in menu than The Deck restaurant. It is a bit more casual and features steaks, chicken fish, etc. You can’t get a better view of the sand and sea while enjoying al fresco dining
Directly above The Grill sits Spices, and we returned to enjoy a lovely dinner there after not having dined there for dinner in quite some time. I will tell you, that it has changed and the dinner menu is varied, extensive and great. Roberto made some suggestions, knowing my preferences, as I do not eat anything that has the slightest degree of spice. The standing joke is, of course voiced by my husband, “The only thing spicy she likes is me!” If you request a window seat in the front or in the cupola (the back area of the restaurant) you will absolutely enjoy the majesty of the sand and sea here as well. Oh! There is also al fresco terrace seating, directly overlooking the beach, should you so desire the al fresco experience. Spices is also open for a leisurely a la carte breakfast or lunch with a super interesting menu. Here you can linger over another smoothie, perhaps a cappuccino or, another frozen margarita, or perhaps, as we might, a glass or 3 of Sauvignon Blanc.
The pool concierge staff are very helpful and friendly. Take the time to strike up a conversation with any of them and I am pretty sure you will be quite surprised by their varied and special life experiences. Enjoy some fruit a bit later in the morning that any of the pool concierge team, might be cheerfully offering as you relax at your lounge chair or Bali bed. By the way, don’t miss out on the ice cream cart with its yummy cones and delectable flavors offered throughout the day. We really enjoy participating in dally water aerobics of aqua gym, It is great fun, and actually is a super workout. By the way, the very delicious barbeque grill around the pool has returned with offerings of calamari, fish, shrimp skewers, corn, as well as potatoes, or on another day, steak ribs (delish) chicken, burgers etc.
We enjoyed the daily aqua gym, as well as musical trivia, and BINGO, all well run by the incredible pool concierge team , under the direct supervision of the very dedicated, hardworking, incredibly, creative and super professional Fernanda Mendoza, who has cultivated a really super charged energy vibe with her team.
Accolades go out to Braillian, and Alberto who genuinely make the aqua gym a true gymnastic experience while insuring a good time is had by all.

While fine dining is truly an integral part of the very special evening experience at Royal Hideaway, it can absolutely be topped off by enjoying the daily entertainment, with shows featuring the “almost”, Michael Jackson, Elvis, Broadway Boys, The Tenors, Caribbean nights, the circus, and the dinner theater show featuring a Mexican fiesta. Remember you are in Mexico after all, so you might just partake in a bit of culture, complimented by folkloric dancing, and Mariachis. The Mexican fiesta, is the one show, for which you must make dinner reservations with your villa concierge, while the other shows are in the theater as well, they offer cocktail only service and a reservation is not required. Feel free to walk in and enjoy each, as you wish .Ah yes. The night is still young and we thoroughly enjoyed, going to Bar Allegria, to enjoy the rock band, the Latin band, the Divas, the “Abba” group, karaoke, the silent disco and the casino night with a side of a magician. You just might win a bundle. If only it was real. However, you may just be lucky enough to trade in your winnings for some local tequila. Oh. Perhaps, you might want to enjoy the sax or violin player featured at Allegria bar a bit earlier in the evening. There is something for everyone’s tastes. Enjoy a before or after dinner beverage at Bar Allegria where the very talented bartenders and mixologist will surprise you with a new option, or will graciously prepare your very favorite. And yes, the spirits are all top shelf. Simply request the alcohol that you wish for your drink.
Thank you so very much Bentura for your great little motorcycle that you artfully made out of empty cans as well as caps of bottles, etc. It sits on our coffee table with its big brother that you graciously made for us in the past.
Special thanks also go out to Fermin Castaneda, for always checking on us.
People often ask us what we do in regard to tipping the wonderful staff (waiters, bellman, concierge, housekeepers, bartenders, chefs, etc.) as a gesture of appreciation for their phenomenal service. To address that question, I will say that we absolutely, positively do tip, as the staff will exceed your expectations. However, regardless of what you decide to do, please know that you will never see a staff member with his or her hand out, or with that expectation, and you will receive the same excellent level of service regardless of your tipping preferences. I believe that you too will feel the same way.
I celebrated my birthday during this visit and so many wonderful members of our Royal Hideaway family treated me to a Mexican custom of a large bucket filled with crushed ice followed by flaming tequila poured in it that you drink, as they all offered their best wishes in song, followed later in the day by Mariachis. How very special and kind!
Upon our departure, when we said, “Hasta luego” (Until the next time) our wonderful Royal Hideaway family including; Guadalupe Sosa, Roger Balam, Graciela Hernandez, Samantha Cordero, and Arturo, were there to hug us and wish us safe travels.
To answer the next question that we always get, “Why do you keep coming back to Royal Hideaway?’ I offer this reply.
Royal Hideaway is indeed a very special place. It is our home and the staff is our family. We meet so many people from all over the world, with whom we remain in consistent communication, and many with whom, we have become genuine dear friends. They often ask when we are coming so, even if they reside oceans or many miles away from us on a regular basis, we all can continue to get together here at our home in Playa! Hoping that you too will join us as part of our dear friends and Royal Hideaway family.

Room Tip: The property has a very small footprint, with all rooms close to restaurants, the pool, beach , spa and lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
9  Thank 1diva

Dear Mrs. Diva,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I visited for the first time and could not have been happier with our entire stay! Will definitely be back often! The grounds and room were immaculate, the food was fabulous and the staff could not have been friendlier!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 436kelly

Dear Mrs. Kelly,

We first would like to thank you for making our hotel your preferred choice for your holidays in Playa del Carmen.

I am grateful for your compliments towards our staff, whose kindness and helpfulness is one of our hotel's greatest strengths and I promise to congratulate them all on your behalf for their contribution to your wellbeing whilst in our hotel.

Once more we thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday and very much look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have been to Royal Hideaway seven times. Every time it was wonderful. Classy, upscale feel. Great restaurants. Beautiful lush surroundings. Large clean rooms with comfortable beds. Great location. Superior service. Clean pools. We are planning our next trip. Can

Room Tip: We asked to have clean bedding everyday, a thing we love on vacation, and it was wonderful.
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple