Reviews (2 168)
2 169 results
1 008
1 008
All reviews murphy bed babieca dive center activities director cruise ship one bedroom suite tower rooms hot tub beach area day pass fish the general manager juan carlos all inclusive plan the wait staff all inclusive package time share timeshare presentation
755 - 760 of 2 169 reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2016

We had many issues with check-in including a promised upgrade that was not available and unfriendly, unwelcoming service. We had to deal with the timeshare person and when we declined, she was not happy with us. I heard a few different times when we could expect our room to be ready and not until I lost my temper asking where we were supposed to go did a room suddenly become available. The good parts: great service other than the initial front desk service, great snorkeling right off the hotel shore. great balcony view, good housekeeping, good breakfast buffet. Bad Parts: We went down twice our first night to get sheets for the sofa bed. They never came until the next day. We only had a mattress pad for our 2 teenage boys to sleep on and it was rust stained. (At least we hope it was rust from the bed-spring, not blood) We had to fold the couch back up and share the king-sized bed. Also, we were surprised to come back one day to find the staff switching out our mattress for a new one. It was fine and nice to have a new one, just unexpected to have it done in the middle of our stay. We booked a European plan which we hoped would at least include breakfast. It did not. It was a $600 resort credit which was very coupon specific. The coupons were things we would not use such as a whole bottle of wine with dinner, money off a couples massage or a romantic beach dinner. The only use I got out of it was $6.00 off snorkel rental. Also, unclear instructions on what the resort had to offer. I asked about snorkel rental and was told something about a dive shop. I did not know there was a dive shop on the site. I walked down a few blocks to inquire about renting equipment at another dive shop. Also, we weren't told the pizza restaurant was closed on Fridays until I asked someone in the elevator. Over-all, the staff worked very hard to make the hotel run smoothly and to keep the grounds clean. Andres found me waiting in line and graciously set my family up with free snorkeling equipment. It is a bit of a problem with the cruise ships bringing in lots of people to use the grounds, pool, chairs, etc. There is a line at the desk with people waiting to buy day passes. I would maybe stay again, not positive.

Stayed: March 2016
1  Thank PennyMy
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2016

Dear PennyMy:
Thank you very much for the time you took to write this review your comments are very important for us, and well about the room issue that you mentioned we were in our 100% occupancy so the room that you were assigned was a check out room and we have to clean it and set it up for you with our standards, that is why it was not ready besides that you arrived at the hotel at 10:30 am and the regular check in time world wide is 3:00 pm and i accelerate everything to give you the room at 12:30 pm.

Thank you also for sharing your experience on this site.
It will be a privilege to serve your family again in another opportunity and thank you again for your review and for selecting El Cid Resorts!!

Andrés Maillard

Reviewed 29 March 2016 via mobile

El Cid is thee place to stay if you want a true relaxing and fun tropical island experience. You can do as much or as little as you want, and still have a great time. Relax on a lounge chair or hammock while Williams, Roberto, and the gang make you cocktails with a smile and warm heart. Sign up to snorkel, dive, parasail, rent a jeep, see the ancient ruins, and/or have the time of your life on an entertaining Pirate Ship dinner on the sea at sunset... all right there in the lobby of El Cid. El Cid has a top reputation even amongst the locals. The organic body lotion they provide in every room will make your skin glow. The room towels are thick and plush. Get a massage!!! Just do it. You'll forget all of the stress from life. I recommend the 80 minute massage. These ladies are experts and found sore spots I never knew I had plus some chronic ones that all remained pain free through my entire trip after my massage. My husband couldn't believe how much better he felt too. Relax outside with a warm ocean breeze and the sound of real waves while getting all of your stress massaged away. Talk to Cindy about getting a time share there, then follow her onto the Pirate Ship excursion or out for a day of snorkeling. She kindly directed us to what instantly became our favorite restaurant in Cozumel. Folks, I have worked in customer service my entire life. I hold high standards. El Cid completely lives up to those standards. I will always come back to El Cid when I return to Cozumel. If you make your needs known, El Cid makes it happen. Please tip everyone! They rely on tips and share them with each other. Tipping housekeeping gets you cute towel animals to find like a little happy surprise on your made bed. Go to Cozumel and stay at El Cid!!! You won't be disappointed.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsAndyP
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2016

Dear MrsAndyP:

On behalf of El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel I want to express my gratitude for this lovely and detailed review about your last stayed with us.
Is an honor to read that we are in the correct direction; Our objective is to provide the highest standard of Customer Care possible and always aim for excellence in service so it is very satisfying to know that we are doing well.

Thanks again and hoping to welcome you back to this your home away from home.

Reviewed 27 March 2016

We stayed at El Cid La Ceiba Beach, March 3-9th 2016. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Our room was located on the 3rd floor of the tower section. We received a "Studio" room which had a Murphy bed, large 6 person table, kitchenette with a microwave, stove, sink, and mini fridge, bathroom with shower/tub combination, and a balcony. My boyfriend and I stayed in the room and at first we were really nervous because it was a full size murphy bed and we are both taller and bigger people. The bed was very comfortable, and the perfect size for the both of us. Our balcony overlooked the restaurant, smaller beach area, and a really cool tree with color changing lights. At night, you could sit on the balcony and listen to the waves and watch the color changing lights. If you want a panoramic view of the ocean, stay above 5th floor in the tower section. My mom had a room on the 6th floor of the tower, and her balcony had a full ocean view.

The main beach area of this hotel is a manmade beach that has tiki huts that provide plenty shade if you wish to stay out of the sun, but you need to put your towel down early in the morning to be able to get a tiki hut as there are only a handful of them. The beach area has stairs that go down to the ocean. A bit of advice: be careful when you walk down the steps to the ocean, they can get slippery (despite workers scraping off the algae, the waves come up on the stairs and the algae grows back). There are also some rocks at the bottom of the stairs and it is about 4 feet deep right off the stairs, with the waves sometimes the current can get rough so be careful when getting in the water. This area is perfect for snorkeling. The water is blue and very clear. You can rent snorkel equipment at the hotel for 1 hour time slots, just beyond the volleyball court, for free. There is an airplane and a few anchors about 50ft out. It is a nice swim and there are many different types of fish in this area.

The other beach area is on the opposite site of the restaurant. This one is more secluded and it seems like not as many people sit over there. There is a waterfall and small tidal pool that has fish in it (I think they end up there after the tide rises) There is also a dock that you can jump off of, it is about 4 feet but less rocky than the other side so it is better for swimming. The only down side to swimming on this side is that there are no steps to get back up on shore after jumping off the dock so you either have to swim over to the other stairs by the other beach or swim over a shallow rocky area to the smaller beach area. Either way, it is beautiful and the water is crystal clear!

The food was very fresh and had a variety. There is only 1 main restaurant, but it serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and all the snacks and drinks you could want. The guacamole is fresh and amazing! I had it every day (Qdoba has nothing on Mexican Guacamole) All the food tasted like it was freshly made, and the juice like it was freshly squeezed.

The employees: The waiters, specifically Eli and Alberto are fantastic. They recognized my family (we had a group of 6 with us) on day two and knew our drinks and had them ready for us every visit! They were very attentive to our needs and definitely refilling our drinks! Our housekeepers (I didn't catch their names) were so attentive and happy to see us in the morning. They left chocolates on our pillow each night with turn down service. It really made it feel like they were family.

There were not many spring breakers at El Cid while we were there. The majority of the spring breakers came from the cruise ships and bought a day pass. They were all respectful, somewhat loud, but there weren't that many of them so we didn't really notice.

WE LOVED EL CID! From the time we got there, we felt like family. They treated us so well. Everyone was so friendly that it made for a wonderful, relaxing vacation. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: March 2016
2  Thank NurseAli2013
Andresmaillard, Gerente at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2016

Dear NurseAli2013:
First at all I would like to thank you for this wonderful comments about your staying and we are really happy to read that you really enjoyed our food and beverage quality and every services you received.
Thank you for confirm us that our efforts make guest happy and we exceed your expectations.
i will extend your words to the staff you mentioned so they get motivated and keep doing a good job.
We are ready to welcome you back for another excellent stay.

Andres Maillard

Reviewed 25 March 2016

We stay here because it is part of our timeshare program. That saying I'm not sure I would stay here if it wasn't.

I'll start with the good points.
The hotel is extremely clean. People are working constantly to clean floors, Windows etc and keep the grounds neat and tidy. The onsite restaurant is quite good. Food is prepared well, prices reasonable and menu varied. Drinks at the swim up hot tub and restaurant are great. You have to ask for top shelf but they do carry it. Check in is efficient and we weren't bothered by anyone wanting us to buy something.

Now the negative.
When we arrived we had paid for an efficiency but received just a hotel room with no cooking facilities. We had already grocery shopped and had no where to put or cook our food. They said they had no efficiency units to give us. They did bring a refrigerator to our room which helped. We bugged them in the AM and finally received the unit we had paid for.
The hot top was cold one day, warm the next and cold again. Never the same temperature. The hot tub is a swim up tub and you can order drinks and food from the tub. Unfortunately the hot tub was almost overtaken by children. At one point there were 4 active boys in the tub with all their Star Wars figures floating in and surrounding the hot tub. The tub should be closed to kids as are most swim up bars. There is a kiddee pool for them to use and that should be enforced.
The hotel sells packages to "cruise ship people" and and most of the time the hotel is overtaken by them. It's hard to find a chair or table to relax on by the pool or on the beach.
Wifi is poor at best. Unable to use in your rooms. Only get a signal in the common areas which is a pain.
Room decor is a bit outdated.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. The workers are so nice. Always a smile. There are just a few things that need tweaking and it could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank soho204

Dear soho204:
On behalf of el Cid La Ceiba we want to thank you for taking your time and post your comments on TripAdvisor; your feedback is really appreciated. We really appreciate your comments and rating of our property.
Again thank you and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Andrés Maillard

Reviewed 22 March 2016

Overall I give this place a 3.5. We did the All inclusive with two kids.

Great:
Snorkeling; beach service from Vicki ; Activities director Adrian; Room size(suite) and the King bed with Queen murphy bed.

Good:
Overall beach waiter service; All Inclusive menu; buffet; room service; check in service; Drinks; A/C was cold in Room but not adjustable?; Free wifi.

Fair:
Overall service in Dining room-some good, but some really bad; Bar closes at 10:30.

Bad:
Plastic feel sheets on the bed-did not get them everyday though; Pushy Timeshare people; Squeaky Murphy bed; A/C with changing noises.

Although nothing for the kids to do at night they liked the place very much. We would go back again.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank YAAAMON

Dear YAAAMON:
On behalf of all the staff of El Cid la Ceiba, I wish to thank you for your great comments and for your preference.
We are so glad to know that all your family spent a nice holiday in our resort and enjoyed also the service from our hotel staff.
Thank you also for sharing your experience on this site.
It will be a privilege to serve your family again in another opportunity and thank you again for your great review and for selecting El Cid Resorts!!

Andres Maillard