31 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 21/03/21
Riu.com
Free cancellation until 21/03/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Lol.travel
1 266
6 309
3 433
1 266
All reviews sports bar annex building coco bongo quiet pool japanese restaurant every other day steak entertainment staff activity pool amazing holiday a la carte restaurants senor frogs flea market main buffet junior suite spring break make reservations
Selected filters
19 - 24 of 12 146 reviews
Reviewed 27 January 2021

Stayed in 2016 and the overall hotel was great. Usually stay at the oasis which is more of a party hotel. The RIU rooms are much nicer and have alcohol dispensaries that are restocked. Room Quality is good and the amenities are kept in good shape. There was a bit of lack of entertainment if you are looking for something more party style. However the main strip with bars & clubs are walking distance. Will be returning next week and will re write a review for RIU during Covid.

1  Thank 627ayr
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for returning to Hotel Riu Cancun after so many years!

We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and look forward to having you as our guest.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 27 January 2021

This is 1 great hotel. Got there later than I wanted but Francisco was there to help and get me a great room 14th floor awesome view. At nite the island of Isla, was light up, looked great. The resturantes were very good. Breakfast looking out over the beach was a great way to start my vac. Gil, Wilber were great. lunch at the buffet was always good, tasted with a great salection. All of the other returants over the top. The pools and beach were clean and fun. The entertainment staff keep us all very happy. The shows they did at night were always great. The people that are there to help u get great tours are great.John Milner was there again front row closest to the stage , there with a great Hello Utah your back. He helped me last year, and didn't stop this year. All of the tour guys and girls will take good care of your groups. The front bar had the best bartenders, all there from last year. Wilbur and the rest keep everyone was always happy. Make sure u try all the reaturants. The gym was small but very good and always clean. Back to the room, at sunrise you sit out on the padio, and watch all the sailboats and fishermen going out. This hotel is very good and if u treat the people the way you want to be treated, it really helps. Nightlife is just a few blocks away. Try it you'll like it. If u need help or questions they are there for u. I don't know where the people that have bad things to say about this hotel because this place is great. 10 of my friends are coming down in March they really liked my pictures I showed them. Have a great time there if u . go. I will be back again. Service and Hotel r awesome. Thanks Doug (UT)

Date of stay: January 2021
Review collected in partnership with riu.com
1  Thank wanttobetheir

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your second visit to our hotel and the time and effort you spent on your feedback.

We are very pleased that you felt comfortable with us. We would like to thank you very much for your extremely positive review.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

With kind regards

Reviewed 22 January 2021

Please save yourself the agony and look elsewhere immediately. This place screams covid central as no precautionary measures that are advertised are actually in effect. To start the man at the entrance pumps you hand sanitizer and merely holds a thermometer but never does he actually take anyone’s temperature. The security will treat you as though you are a criminal trespassing if they have the slightest suspicion that you do not have a wristband. When you walk in you are hit with an overwhelming fragrance that permeates the lobby from air diffusers that are so strong I got nauseous. I later realized that this was an effort to mask the pungent mold/mildew odor that emcompasses the rest of the resort- if we tested for mold- I can guarantee you this place would be positive for it at high levels.

As we proceeded to the elevator after checking in, there was a POOL OF BLOOD in the elevator. A woman simply came to clean it up with what appeared to be a dirty ripped grayish towel attached to stick without even spraying any chemicals insisting that the said towel was sufficient to sanitize the blood! We were rushed into the elevator afterwards because there was a line and noticed that there was blood smeared onto the walls of the elevator as well! As luck had it, we had the burden of being on the same floor where this bloody mess had either ended or originated. There was blood on the floor as we got out and I stepped in it, it was EVERYWHERE! I asked for something to sanitize my shoes and the employee said he didn’t have anything to help. The blood was on the tiles, on the carpet, trailing into a hotel room with a DO NOT DISTURB SIGN and nobody seemed to be aware or care. I was genuinely concerned that someone may have been harmed and told the guard only to find the blood in the same spots hours later!!!!!! I threw out those shoes btw- and sadly they were kind of expensive.

The front desk staff was very inattentive and quick to dismiss my remarks about the blood- I even recorded a video to show them that the blood was actually blood and pinpoint where exactly the blood was so that they could address it immediately. Day two the blood stains still remain intact. The 3rd day I complained about the blood again- this time I dealt with a gentlemen named Paulo who had a very bad attitude, was unpleasant, lacked empathy and was condescending towards me when I got visibly angry that nothing had been done about the blood on the elevator walls and carpeting on the 6th floor. He pretty much blamed the housekeeping department rather than just apologize and ensure me it would be addressed immediately. As a business owner- blaming your own employees is unprofessional- to me this showed he was not a team player and only looked out for himself. I asked him to walk with me to check out where the blood was so I could be on my way- he said no- it is not his department and that he will have me show housekeeping.

It was as though he (Paulo the front desk manager) was the one on vacation and I was inconveniencing him by having him address the appropriate staff to take care of it. The burden was on me it seems- the blood that hadn’t been cleaned up was my problem and it wouldn’t get cleaned up unless I showed the housekeeping staff where it was. I was livid actually, this man treated me as if I was one of his employees and it was my duty to wait for housekeeping and show them where it was rather than just have me show him and be on my way to enjoying my vacation. I was visibly angry and he had the audacity to make a remark to another hotel guest waiting behind me regarding my demeanor. The hotel guest sided with me and agreed that it was tacky on his part to single me out as a guest as she was also there to complain. I told Paulo this is the 3rd time I am coming to the desk about this same issue- he told me it was my fault for not having the app on my phone because I shouldn’t be coming to the front desk to begin with and everything should be done on the app. My apologies for not having a fully functioning smart phone at the moment Paulo- my touch screen barely worked. He treated me as though I was burdening him by coming to the front desk- newsflash buddy- before technology people coming to the front desk was the norm and quite frankly it is your duty to tend to hotel guests and their requests so long as they are reasonable. Btw the blood was not cleaned off the carpet AT ALL AND REMAINED THERE UNTIL THE END OF OUR STAY AND IT IS PROBABLY STILL THERE. The elevator got cleaned on my last day because I took the time to show the housekeeper lady where exactly it was so she could clean it.

The beach has apparently been damaged by hurricanes back in June and is relatively small now. The resort is huge and probably attributed to the relatively tiny beach. There are at least 3 damaged peers which have yet to be repaired. If you like to watch sunrise the view is obstructed by other hotels and not visible from this location. The beach is also on a rocky strip of the beach- meaning the tide will slam you on the rocks in the water if it is strong enough. You could not order drinks on the beach as you could at other resorts I stayed at- only in the tiled areas that lead to the beach next to the pools.

Next- we get to the food, it sucks. Only the Mexican food is worth your while. Everything else tastes like they went to Costco grabbed all the frozen crap and plated It nicely. The food was “Recycled” throughout the restaurants- if it wasn’t finished at one restaurant you would find it at another before making it to the final destination- the 24 hour restaurant- they assume people are drunk enough by the time they get back to not notice- guess what- I NOTICED. Desserts are recycled at the Coffee Café- every single dessert they served daily was stale as it was spared from last night's buffet- not a single fresh item. The food was a 2/10 meaning for every 10 things I tried only 2 would be OK- it’s like I’d take a bite of everything praying that it was actually fresh or edible. I lived on fruit mainly and bread if it appeared to be fresh. The drinks were watered down- so was the shampoo. There is a poor liquor selection, it is mostly cheap bottom shelf stuff you drink in high school. Even the soda was watered down or terribly flat. The walls are thin and we could hear everything our neighbors did. The conditions were definitely not very sanitary given covid times. To start they do not use disposable plates, utensils, glasses, and you need to request a straw and you may or may not get one depending on how many times you ask. The servers enforce masks to grab food, yet allow people to approach the buffet with old plates and without resanitizing their hands after touching their mouths, eating, drinking etc, yeah doesn’t seem like they have taken any of this into account.

The hotel room floor hallways smell of strong mold and/mildew, there is a damp, pungent, musty odor that reeks of laundry you may have forgotten about in the washing machine for long enough. The rooms have no comforter and the bed feels like a giant jail cot with some bounce. There is visible dust everywhere, the bathroom reeks even more strongly of the described odor above- I had to keep the door open to survive it. We had a reservation for 2 yet only had 1 robe to share. The mini bar area is a joke- it is so crammed and doesn’t contain any liquor worth your while. There is not a smart TV- which for the price is appalling. You’d expect at least a Bluetooth speaker- we’re in 2021 this is offensive. To turn the light on you need your key and there are only 2 outlets in the room and 1 in the bathroom.

Individuals who rated this resort 5 stars have clearly never been to a resort with the same price tag- the level of service and quality of food was relatively awful. I would never stay here again and highly recommend that those with standards who have traveled enough and stayed at other all inclusives do not either. My experience was utterly disappointing.

Room tip: Look Elsewhere My Friends!
3  Thank nadiasU9155BV
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2021

Dear Nadia,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention.

We hope you will accept our sincere apology for the challenges you experienced during your stay. We are extremely disappointed and there is no excuse for the shortcomings that you experienced.

Certainly, we can understand and empathize with your frustration. It is not what we strive to be nor what we are sure that you have come to expect from RIU Hotels & Resorts.

However, unfortunately from your user name Nadia, we cannot find any corresponding hotel booking nor derive enough information to find your case or which agency you booked through. The described issues require further attention and we will need to reach out to you for greater detail so we may personally address the matters. We would welcome the opportunity to gather more feedback directly from you. Please feel free to reach out to your travel agency with any concerns, or only in case of direct booking to our After Travel Complaints Department via complaints@riu.com.

It is our hope that this disappointing experience will not prevent your future use of our hotels proving that your unsatisfactory stay was an exception! We truly appreciate your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 January 2021 via mobile

I visited Riu Cancun on 01/16/2021. My friend and I were looking for a quick getaway for MLK weekend and we came across this hotel. The day we arrived we checked in and saw that the hotel looks nothing like the pictures. After checking in we were given a room. We got to our room and the room was disgusting. It was dusty and looked like it was not cleaned properly. We opened the fridge and the fridge was disgusting. We immediately went back to the front desk to change our room. We got a different room and although it was not great it was better than the first. Within 2 hours of arrival we were ready to leave the hotel. They did not practice social distancing the food made me sick and the hotel was severely outdated. We decided that we could not stay and tried to check out. The receptionist gave us a hard time throughout the check out process and refused to give us an itemized bill. We were told that we would be refunded for the nights that we didn’t stay, as RIU does not have an early cancellation policy (we searched). We get back home today and get an email saying that we will not get a refund. I will never stay at another RIU again. This has been the worst experience of my life!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank sadie_hyppolite
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2021

Dear Sadie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share it with us.

Let us start off by apologizing to you, we are sorry to learn that your stay was not anywhere near as wonderful as our other guests have praised us for.

At the same time, it is very disappointing to read your comment regarding the stomach discomfort you believe you contracted while eating in one of our restaurants and we truly hope that you have fully recovered in the meantime. We would have been glad to have been informed about all your inconveniences, giving us the opportunity to personally handle any inconvenience since we are offering medical services in our property. Please note that it is always very difficult to determine the cause of the poisoning without a Doctor´s diagnose and especially in far-flung and exotic destinations it can come from another source. Recently we have not received any reports from the hygiene department, nor any medical report from a guest detecting spoiled food.

Now more then ever, we are committed to the health and safety of our guests and employees. We are applying strict anti Covid-19 protocols that our health security experts have developed together with the prestigious company Preverisk which is a global leader in auditing, consulting and training solutions for the tourism industry in the areas of Health and Safety expertise. We apologize if you felt our rules and safety precautions were not enforced during your stay.

Please be assured that your experience did not meet our normal RIU standards of service. We take our guest's feedback seriously and want to ensure we are doing our best to keep our guests safe and feeling comfortable. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. For this reason, your feedback will be forwarded to the heads of the mentioned areas for a proper follow up.

It is our hope that we can get another opportunity to have you with us so that we can provide a superior experience.

Kind regards

Reviewed 16 January 2021

I have booked 2 top suites for my VIP clients for 3 days and they had a bad experience so I have tried to call the hotel about the issue and wanted to speak to a manager and they said managers don't take calls so they asked me to send an email than I have been disconnected. Next 4 calls I did their line was busy. Than I have reached out to a lady who was nice but when I told her to speak to a manager she said Ola Ola like she can't hear me and again she hung up the phone. It seems like the front staff doesn't want anyone to talk to a manager. Anyway I have called late hours again and the gentleman at the front desk with a very poor English told me he can't talk right now and he hung up. He didn't even listen the problem. After total 12 international calls in one day I couldn't talk to anyone about the issue and more sadly no one bothered to ask what was the issue or asked for assistance.
Also the wi-fi supposed to be free and when my client checked in he couldn't figure out how to connect wifi so asked for help at the front desk so they took the phone and connected him to wifi but at the check out they charged him wifi fee because of front desk staff connected him to high speed with purchase. REDICULOUS. Also there were hairs on the bed and the elevator had missing buttons so you had to get out on second floor to walk to the lobby.
I have never experienced such a poor and rude service.

1  Thank metedc
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2021

Dear Mete,

Thank you for choosing us and posting a review about the stay of your customers.

We always aim to provide an exceptional stay for all of our beloved guests that is why we are concerned to learn that we did not meet their expectations during this visit and deeply regret the hassle you had to go through.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience, and know this is not the norm here at our property.
At the same time, we would like to go sure that you used the correct contact number as in such cases you must dial the number indicated on our website. For USA, the number is USA1 888 RIU 4990.

While we wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. Without valuable feedback, both positive and constructive, we would not be able to constantly revise and raise our already elevated standard of service. Be assured we are reviewing everything you mentioned, as well as talking with our associates to make improvements where necessary.

Once again, it is always our goal to ensure that our guests enjoy the best hotel experience. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.