11 people are viewing this hotel
2 667
1 233
2 667
1 233
All reviews marco polo bogavante restaurant sister resort next door time share ocean view lobby bar entertainment staff nightly shows a lot of fun pool side all inclusive resort kids club nachos have a good time all inclusives timeshare presentation relaxing vacation
Selected filters
3 254 - 3 259 of 4 694 reviews
Reviewed 21 February 2005

We had a group of 9 people (all adults) who stayed at the Solaris from Feburary 12th through the 19th. You couldn't possibly have a bad time here. I'll try to cover all the basics but if anyone has specific questions, feel free to e-mail me personally.

The Rooms - there's an older tower and a newer tower but you really shouldn't care which tower you're in because they're both very clean and comfortable. Housekeeping does an excellent job!

The Pools - half of our group spent the majority of their time poolside. It's true that you need to reserve a chair early. I actually saw people sleep on those chairs at night just so they'd have them during the day. There are pool games every day and a pool bar with 4 bartendeners. My advice....take a larger, insulated cup with you, and a few extra dollars for tipping.

The Beach - the other half of our group spent our days on the beach. You kind of have to be down there a little early as well to reserve a chair, but it's not as bad as the pool. The water was great - easy to get in and out of as long as the waves aren't too high.

The Food - They had a decent variety but it was all pretty bland. By the end of the week we were ready to eat out.

Activities - The hotel provides free transportation to different bars each night but the bus doesn't leave their until 11:00pm. Make sure you check on their Senor Frogs Dinner night. It was on Thursday last week, but it wasn't really made known to us. We found out from one of the bartenders about it. It's free transportation to and from the restuarant at 6:00pm and your dinner is included. Just bring money for drinks. And tipping. When you're in town, they're not embarassed to ask for a tip from you.

The place was immaculate the whole time there, and the service is just great. If you have specific questions, feel free to send me an e-mail dsegrist@cinci.rr.com

7  Thank Resort28298
Reviewed 21 February 2005

FEB 16-21 2005 We just returned from 5 days the the Royal Solaris, in the beginning it was a great disappointment. When we arrived at the hotel with two other couples we were told it was overbooked, they offered to put us up in a hotel on the lagoon side of Cancun but we refused so they let us stew for about 2 hours. Finally they arranged for us to stay at the Cancun Plaza which is two hotels down from the Solaris, What a dump,in our room the toliet did not flush, the sliding door did not lock the TV did not work and the bed was broken. We check around ourselves but everything was booked. We stayed there the first two nights. Every day we would walk down to the Solaris and talk to the Manager about relocating us, Finally on Friday morning we were moved to the Solaris, one couple got a standard room the others shared a jr suite while this is not what I expected we accepted it.

Otherwise the staff was great including the Manager who had a very hard job. The food was quite good and the weather was great. I would be afraid of booking this hotel again because I believe this is there normal practice during the high season. We were not alone there were many people without rooms some of them just turned around and went back home I'm glad we decided to stay.

5  Thank Dream20591
Reviewed 21 February 2005

Please be advised that my husband and myself along with 2 other couples had booked the week of February 20th to the 27th for an all-inclusive vacation at the Royal Solaris in October 2004. On Friday Feb. 18th, my travel agent called to tell us that the resort had overbooked by 200 rooms that week and would offer to put us in a less than two star hotel and we could be shuttled back and forth to the resort for meals on a bus, which left every 2 hours. She informed us that the resort had bumped everyone who had purchased a trip through the company we had purchased ours through. She also advised us that the hotel they wanted to put us in was 'very unsuitable', was not oceanfront and would not recommend it. The Royal Solaris resort has just over 500 rooms and overbooks by 200? That is no accident. I'm sure if we would have taken our company's offer of $200 refund per person and another vacation, which we are unable to do,it would still not even come close to making up for the hassle and probably the poor service of an over crowded resort. If Royal Solaris had known that they were overbooked why wait until Friday 18th to contact the travel company. Thank goodness our travel agent was smart enough to forwarn us about the "bait and switch" tactics of this resort. We did not have time to arrange another vacation that we had been looking forward to for 6 months. I would not recommend this resort ever!

7  Thank Carol S
Reviewed 20 February 2005

Simply the worst customer service & most negative experience I have ever had.

I arrived at the Cancun airport and boarded the bus to the Royal Solaris where we were told that the hotel had been overbooked and that there were no rooms for us to stay in. We were informed that we would be staying at a 3 star (formerly named Las Velas) about 30 minutes from the Solaris.

Our group decided to stay at the Solaris to let management know that their alternative was completely unacceptable. For 8 hours we sat in the lobby trying to figure out what we were going to go and where we were going to go. Management didn’t even seem to care that we had no where to stay – they did not assist us in any way. Every person from the hotel that we approached met us with the same response.

The most frustrating thing was that people that were on the same bus as us managed to get a room at the Solaris. Not only did we see them walking with their keys towards their room, a little later they told us they had managed to get a room. When we confronted the manager about this he accused us of lying, rolled his eyes, smiled and walked away.

We found out a bit later that the hotel had known about this for over 2 weeks. They made no effort to contact us and let us know. I would not have boarded a plane and traveled for over 8 hours if I had known this was going on.

After much frustrating negotiations between the resort and our travel representative we were tired and decided to stay one night at the other hotel. Upon arrival me and my friend found that we had to share a bed (I like the guy, but not that much), the toilet barely worked, and there was trash on the counter of our room.

The Solaris offered us an hourly shuttle between Las Velas and the Solaris – which quickly devolved to them paying for a cab one way and us taking public transport the other way – to us having to take public transport both ways.

The next day we decided that we were going to leave. I returned home to Ottawa less then 30 hours after arriving – with all of the stress of this situation it felt like I had been gone for a month.

Cancun seemed like an amazing place (from what I saw of it) and I would recommend going to anyone so long as you don’t stay at the Solaris. One would think that with the importance of the tourist industry within the Mexican economy that something like this would have been dealt with in a more appropriate manner then it was.

I have never experienced such apathy and insolence. There were people on their honeymoon, couples with small children, etc. I couldn’t believe their absolute unwillingness to offer any assistance.

Don’t waste your time. Stay clear of the Royal Solaris.

Date of stay: January 2005
9  Thank mcorkum
Reviewed 19 February 2005

Me and my boyfriend (we were among about 50 other people from Montreal, Ottawa and U.S.A. that were in the same situation) went to Cancun on thursday the 17th in the intention to have a good time but were left without a room at the Royal Solaris. The manager Edgar was totally non caring and so rude...should be fired on the spot!! So we check to all other hotels and had no choices to accept the hotel that was offer by Royal Solaris since everything was book in Cancun: The hotel from hell call Las Velas in the Lagoon...barely a 3 stars hotel. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE SIGN IN FOR!!!!!! We paid $2800 for our trip!!! We slept there one night because after arguing for 9 hours at the Royal Solaris hotel lobby trying to get a room we were so exausted.
Friday morning the 18th we got up, bitten all over by mosquitos...pack our stuff and by 4pm (4 other people decided not put up with this and left...I can't beleive the rest of the group settle for this ------!!!!!!!!) we were on our way back home since at this point we had already wasted 2 days and it was a endurance to this point.
My experience was terrible but the worst was how the Royal Solaris treated us. They was more or less 30 people from Montreal and Ottawa region and about 20 people from the U.S.A. with no rooms. This is a scam or what??!!
We are hopping more people speaking out about their bad experience at the Solaris.
We have already told our travel agent about this and he's trying very hard to get tour money back. I would hope so since we did'nt get what we sign in for!!!

12  Thank Excursion802650