Oleo Cancun Playa
US$474
Elvoline
Reviews (1 979)
1 979 results
All reviewspool barocean viewnachosmain restaurantcasino nightentertainment staffbus ridebeautiful beachgreat drinksjunior suitesmaller resortnight lifebeach volleyballstar resortnightly entertainmenta lot of funjapanese restaurant
FilterAll languages
24 - 29 of 1 979 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Oleo Cancun Playa March 22-29 with my family. Pulling up to the resort with the airport transfer, other passengers in the vehicle gasped when they saw the view. I called it heaven’s waiting room. The lobby is all glass with a clear view of the beautiful ocean. It was gorgeous!

It is a smaller boutique type hotel with 3 towers. It is not a busy resort which is what I was looking for. The decor and overall feel of the place reminds me of being in Miami. There is someone always cleaning and the place is spotless at all times I must say. They have an interesting way of having garbage cans present but not overflowing and well appointed. If you have small children, it will not be the place for you. This resort is ideal for those in their 20’s and up who want a quiet resort where they can relax but still a fun environment. If you want entertainment, there are nightclubs in the hotel zone such as Coco Bongo and La Viquita which was excellent. We went with a group from the hotel and had a great time!

Check-in was smooth and complete. No credit card required for check in which was nice for a change and probably why they asked for reservation from email and passports, etc. Ismael greeted us with a drink and took our bags to our room. He is a very nice, friendly man and is always there to help.

The room we had booked was a superior ocean front with two double beds which worked out in our case. Or you can request a king. The view on the 9th floor was spectacular especially for the great price we got per person. The ocean was beautiful and we also had another view of the bay across the street. The room was large and minimalistic with a cross between modern beachy shabby chic which I like. The bathroom was smaller and modern but had a large walk in glass shower and I did not encounter any problems with not having hot water. It worked well for me. A nice large closet with extra room and a dresser to put clothes and suit case in. I would say that it would be nice to have a pen and notepad in the room but didn’t see one. Sometimes I notice the little things.

The only thing I found missing in the room was a chair to sit outside on the balcony so we took the dining chair that was inside the room and kept it out there. Others have mentioned the banging of the sliding glass door with the wind and I experienced this as well. During our visit at that time of year the wind is very heavy. The sliding door to balcony did not shut properly. I just learned to tune out the sound of the wind and in all honesty didn’t bother me. It may be bothersome to others. If door could be sealed properly, I’m sure it would be much better.

Housekeeping staff were soooo friendly and I tipped them because they work hard. One lady even came in the room to help iron my daughter’s dress when she was bringing up extra cans of soda for the fridge in the room and saw that there was a problem with the iron. Turns out it was in the wrong setting. Upon waking up every morning I rarely heard them outside and they weren’t knocking on doors at 8 am to see if you wanted your room cleaned. They were a dream.

The pool area was a nice set up with an outside bar and nice bartenders. They also had lounger chairs. I found the lounger chairs a little worn out and most were taken early in the morning poolside. There were always a few empty loungers down by the beach although most were usually taken and they also had these cute little tents to lay under in the hot sun. I liked the fact that the resort was so close to the beach and you could hear the music. The beach was accessible by a set of stairs but if going up and down stairs is a problem, it may not be ideal. One thing I have to say is the wifi was excellent. It was so on point you could get it on the beach and very fast. Never had a problem with the wifi at Oleo as opposed to other resorts that were 5 stars and wifi was terrible.

There was always a lifeguard there who was very attentive making sure people didn’t go out too far. The waves were very strong and you had to stay in the shallow end. I found the weather to be nice even though it was windy day and night. It wasn’t that sick humidity feeling where you would start sweating as soon as you went outside but once you were sitting in the sun, you could feel the heat. However at night it was chilly so if going in the winter months, bring some long sleeved sweaters. There were servers on the beach to bring you food such as hot dogs, hamburgers and fries from the grill up near the pool or drinks. They were very efficient. Drinks were made well and with friendly service.

The were 3 main restaurants and the food was decent, hot and fresh although a little repetitive.. Reservations were to be made for dinner at night and easy to come by if you booked early. It was well presented and the breakfast buffet dining room was absolutely gorgeous overlooking the ocean. It also acts as a restaurant in the evening. The only thing I was disappointed in was there was no bacon for a few days at the breakfast buffet. I consider that to be a breakfast staple and was missing it. There were a few nights we were already outside the resort and had dinner somewhere else to change it up a little. There is a Starbucks in the resort but it costs extra. There is also Best Day travel if you wish to book any day trips or excursions.

The staff there works very hard and a big shout out to Manuel who works so hard at the breakfast and lunch buffet and deserves some credit. I was sitting in front of another guest who was actually somewhat rude to Manuel complaining about his soft drink and lack of carbonation but Manuel kept his cool. He is excellent and is on top of things.

My favourite bartenders were Reyes and Vinnie at the lobby bar. They work extra hard and also deserve a big shout out. They were very friendly to us and always made great drinks. Thank you again for the conversations at night! Reyes is the eyes and ears at the lobby bar. One night they had a band there singing oldies which was nice and another night they had a Miriachi band which was also nice. They also brought in local artists to display their crafts and we bought a few things. There is not much entertainment but we always found something to do at night like going to the lobby bar where we chatted with other guests. Other nights we went out to explore the night life in Cancun.

I also have to say that a family member of mine had a medical emergency a few days into our trip and was hospitalized for 2 days. Thank goodness for travel insurance! Thank you to those at the front desk who briefed all the employees because they all knew our last name when I mentioned the situation at different dates and times.. They even called my family member at the hospital to check in on them a few times and also called me in the room telling me to not hesitate if I needed something. They also had a wheelchair waiting upon their arrival back to the resort. They were very helpful and sympathetic during this stressful time and for that I am very grateful.

Although i had a great time, I also missed a few days of relaxation because of the medical emergency and I was sad to leave Oleo. The staff there really make the place what it is and my family and i have already talked about going back next December. I really like Cancun and especially this resort. I really like the environment there and also met other guests who were great to talk to. I feel like this is my home away from home. Thank you again for your hospitality and I will definitely be back!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Martin R, General Manager at Oleo Cancun Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Your comments are much appreciate and I will share your review with all the team, they will be very happy to know that you had a great time! We all hope you and your family are well after this medical emergency, our sinceres wishes that everything goes now at normal

See you soon back in Oleo Cancun Playa, Mi casa es tu casa!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We booked through bookit and our flight was cancelled because of maintenance problems with the plane so we flew out the following day and the hotel still charged us for the night we didn't arrive. The people doing checkin were not very nice about it and said they can not give us a refund for that lost night thought this was not fair being that it was not our fault.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Deysi6026

Your comments are much appreciate and I will share your review with all the team; we strive to deliver the best Guest service experience and always willing to fulfilled our guest expectations, in order to hold your room when we are fully booked we had to apply this procedure

We all hope to see you soon back in Oleo Cancun Playa,

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel has a lovely outside area and the food was great especially the breakfast but we had no hot water, could not sleep at night because of the outside noise and the noise from the lift, no slippers in the room , tiny bathroom and it really was not the luxury one would expect with a 5 star hotel. We complained about the noise and nothing was done about it. We were celebrating a wedding anniversary and nothing special was done for us to celebrate. Super disappointing!!!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

GM Oleo Cancun Playa

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My mother of 84 y/o, sister, friends and I, visited this quaint hotel the last week of February of this year. Some construction was going on but nothing bothersome. The workers were very discreet and meticulous about cleaning up afterwards.
The hotel had a major facelift and so it is up to date with the new Zen look, all white, and beige with white marble.
We had the Superior room in the 3rd tower, 6th floor, overlooking the beach and lagoon with a balcony. What a view!!! Unfortunately the balcony is just for show, no place to put chairs, but nice anyway. The room was big, bright, spacy and clean. Bathroom was large, walk-in shower with full amenities. The beds were very comfy. Loved my room!!
They offer at all times a buffet, morning, lunch and supper and then turn in a snack room for the entire night. In the morning there is a great choice of food, traditional and Mexican with fresh fruits, breads with an awesome staff. Thank you Paola and Dulcea for their warm smiles and great service.
There are also two “A la Carte” restaurants, a sushi/Japanese restaurant and a meditarean restaurant. We preferred the meditarean one by far. They offered an Antipasto bar, with soup, different kinds of breads and cheese. The menu was complete for all tastes, we liked everything. The sushi place, we thought, was too crowded, dark and loud. There is also a snack bar outside during the day, were you can grab tacos and the best guacamole ever, fish and chips, etc. Again great staff, always smiling and willing to make your experience wonderful.
Also, there’s a Lobby bar/ lounge, were everything happens in the evening with Karaoke, poker night, mariachis. Peter is the great GO and makes everyone feel special. Great drinks but way to loud and bright. Not a cozy place to relax after a long day at the beach. Maybe they changed it since our stay as it was serving as the check-in/out counter while the real one was under construction.
Outside, the pools are big enough for the guests, swim up bar and some comfy chairs, there’s even a Jacuzzi at the far end. The beach is long but doesn’t make for a pleasant walk. It is heavily slanted going on your left, so we choose to go on our right where it was nicer to walk and go for a swim, because the waves and undertow can be tricky. We had red flags all week long and I even saved tourists from drowning. I love the ocean so I loved the playing in the waves by riding or jumping them. Watch your tops ladies!!
There’s a worker that starts at 6h30 am to pick tents up. If you want a tent on the beach, you need to get there early to reserve them. We loved the concept. Great staff and they come frequently for drinks.
All in all, I loved the small size of this hotel, everything was right there. No need to look for someone or take a shuttle to go to your room. The staff was great, friendly and kind. The place was very clean, well maintained and charming. It would have been even more charming if more effort was made to have an outside lounge by the beach were people could sit, have a drink in the evening time. This is seriously lacking. The place could accommodate it no problem.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family

See you soon back in Oleo Cancun Playa!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at the resort for Spring Break this year with my 5 other friends. We were looking for a good place to not be pressured into drinking a lot, and focus on relaxing and getting some sun, and we sure found the perfect place! Oleo is BEAUTIFUL, there are three towers filled with clean, beautiful, open rooms. We requested connecting rooms and because the service and concierge was so helpful, we got connecting rooms! There are little tents and beach chairs available on the beach yet I would suggest going down early in the morning and saving a tent and chairs so you can have it for the day because they do fill up quickly! Another helpful part of the hotel are the towels, you get a towel card when you check in and you get one towel per person and you can switch them our at any point during the day, it makes staying dry very easy! The food was pretty good, there are many different options including a buffet, a Japanese restaurant (Hakka) and an italian pace (Almar). It isn't the most amazing food, but I was never hungry! One thing that I didn't like that much was that smoking was permitted everywhere (including the pool), which made it a little hard to avoid the smell. The only other thing that I could complain about is the accessibility to cash, unless you are going on an excursion you probably will to need cash but if you do.. you have to walk down the street about half a mile and pay a $15 fee to get cash out. The best part about this hotel was the Staff Entertainment crew. They were a group of people employed by the hotel to ensure that everyone was having a good time. Besides organizing events all day like beach volleyball, pool volleyball, basketball, BINGO, karaoke and much more... they helped up choose where to go out, and went with us to make sure we were safe! They were constantly checking up on everyone and really made us feel like they cared! When you go- look our for Peter, he is a very kind soul that is very helpful and friendly! I can't talk about this place enough.. if you are looking for a fun, clean, relaxing place to stay. Oleo is the place!

Room Tip: Request a room with an ocean view, much prettier and they are very willing to accomodate!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Your comments are much appreciate and I will share your review with all the team, they will be happy to know that you had a great time with us!

See you soon in Cancun.