Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
Krystal Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Beachfront
Reviews (2 017)
2 017 results
All reviewstiki tacosun clubitalian restaurantda marioseaside grillworld cafethe holiday inncoco cafeentertainment staffpuerto vallarta resortfire showswim up barocean viewthe pool and beach arealounge chairskids clubbottled water
FilterAll languages
33 - 38 of 2 017 reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place was formerly the Holiday Inn so its a little old .First impression walking in the lobby wasn't great , it was kinda plain but they are continually working on the place . It actually grew on us after a day or so . By the end of our stay we really liked it .
Will say up front the working staff was outstanding , friendly , and accommodating !! Their English was much better than my Spanish for the most part . Someone broke a coke bottle near the entry door & there was still little pieces of glass but one call to the front desk & housekeeping was there literally within minutes . Everyone was mindful & appreciative of us choosing both their country & their hotel to come to . The place was very clean .
Food : was in the "ok + " range tho not for lack of effort . Plenty of choices . Good steak in the sit down restaurant next to the buffet but if u don't get there early they will give u a beeper & its usually a little more than a half hour wait . Hamburgers at pool snack bar were actually pretty good . They use a char-broil grill & its the first time in our 13 years of goin to PV that a burger tasted American .I am a basic meat & potatoes kinda person so not sure how much my opinion will carry in the food dept.
The room : Plenty big enough for the 2 of us . 8th floor , balcony , great view of pool & beach .
Clean , housekeeping was attentive & efficient .
One thing I was glad to see was an abundance of 110V outlets . Didn't have to move any furniture to find one like we have done most places . I usually travel with a power strip so we can charge all our devices but would have been fine if I had forgotten it . Coffee was very good in the room but outside of it ( like the Coco Café ) it was stout & had to cut it with water but thats just my taste .
One down side was the safe , it was located about a foot off the floor facing the center of the closet . Had to take a knee to read the face . Also it was not deep enough . Had to put tablets in on an angle to get door shut .Usually the safe is on a shelf about face high .Their location could be a challenge for older or not so mobile folks .Hope they are reading this cause this is fixable .
The Pool : Clean , water maybe a tad on cool side but you get used to it pretty fast .Be careful on the walking up the slope to pool bar , it can be slick .Activities are many and non obtrusive to the non participating areas of the pool .
This brings me to a constant rub about the place . Like most resorts they have a problem with towels reserving pool chairs . Their system is to employ what we called the ' pool police ' . Employees w/ clipboards that have a pool diagram watching the pool & they will pull your towel no later than an hour after its been on there . We had ours taken after about 35 minutes the first day .( No problem getting another towel though , just go to towel shack ), Our get around was to leave personal objects ( hats , lotion , etc ) on the chair . Seemed to work & everyone caught on to that fast !
To their credit though , as promised in their answer to previous reviews , they did get a shipment of chairs while we were there & that certainly helped .
Another practical & cool thing they do . A gentleman is there everyday w/ his trained hawk . He flys it over the pool & resort several times & it really sends a message cause we didn't see a single sea gull or other annoying birds or critters for 2 weeks . ( usually they will swoop down & devour anything left on plates ) .It was very entertaining also but watch the low flight path of the bird as he will part your hair when he returns to his handler .
One last thing : good news/bad news thing : If you are a smoker , you are very limited to either the front entrance , your balcony ( which the official stand is no ) . Officially none in the pool area , but feet in the sand is ok . We called it the smoking wall , where the pool concrete ends & beach begins . Other than that its what you can improvise ( wink ) . We are always mindful of non smokers where ever we go & give them plenty of space , especially with kids around .
All that being said , we had a wonderful stay & would go back . Again kudos to the working staff .

Stayed: March 2018
4  Thank justusgringos
Sunscape P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear justusgringos,

Many thanks for such a wonderful review on your last stay at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta!

As you splendidly wrote, we truly believe each of our guests arrive to their new home away from home and we aim to treat everybody as our new family members. We feel extremely glad to confirm you had an amazing time with us and were particularly pleased with our unique and fantastic staff, the food options and great shows!

Please allow me to apologize for the few inconveniences you experienced while staying with us, also I want to say thank you for taking the time to share with us these comments which will help us improve our service to keep providing the Sunscape quality that our guest deserve.

We would love to host you again and be able to show you how much we care about our guest's satisfaction. Feel free to contact us for anything you need and I will gladly assist you.

You are already dearly missed by your Sunscape Family!

My best wishes

Econcierge y Social Media Manager

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

we have returned from a great 2 weeks food great large pool right next to the beach with waiter service . animation team work very hard .zumba every morning was great . most of food is alacarte standard our favourite was barefoot grill in the evening excellent food and lovely staff . seaside resturant good but long wait as is the italian but hey u are on holiday chill relax wine is flowing . themed nights are good fun .noe and dillian the baretenders were the best !!! yes the place needs a bit of paint here and there but renovations are happening all the time balconys being replaced . our rooms were spotless towels changed daily and sheets if needed . the mini bar only refilled weekly . no problems with sunbed reserving if towels were left on for over hr in morning with no show they were taken off so no problem getting a bed . the bell started ringing one morning which signalled whales were in the bay was fantastic to watch them . was also a family of dolphins the day before which was lovely to see at breakfast as the resturant overlooks the beach /ocean .

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria C
Sunscape P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Maria C,

Thank you so much for your terrific review! Our greatest reward is to read we exceeded our guest's expectations and were able to provide an amazing vacation.

What a pleasure to hear you were impressed by our great food, cleaning, themed nights and amazing views! As you mention, we have made many changes at the resort always seeking for our guest's satisfaction and comfort. Take sure Dillian and Noe will be notified about your special recognition to them.

You're more than welcome anytime to Sunscape Puerto Vallarta and we'll be waiting for your return!

Kindest regards,

Econcierge & Social Media Manager

Puerto Vallarta, México.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I'll start off by saying that I was 7 months pregnant when we travelled to Mexico and after a 12 hour flight from London we were greeted by the lovely bell boys who weren't pushy about taking our luggage at all. I have had previous experience of damage caused to my luggage by rough handling of bell boys so always prefer to take my own luggages and they were very kind about it.

We were worried about Zika and mosquito's as I was heavily pregnant but I didn't get bitten once! Typically in tropical climates I get butchered by mosquito's on the first few nights but this wasn't a problem at all.

We were met with some drinks which was a nice touch. Best to mention here that the free WiFi is only available in the lobby (which is not inside where you would think next to Tiki Tako, it's actually that area where you are first met by the Bellboys. We found the connection and speed quite reliable.)

They saw I was pretty heavily pregnant and have us a family room on the ground floor right next to the beach towel area. Room 128. It was big with a wii and a couple of bunk beds for kids. This was so conveniently located for us as we didn't have to walk much to get too the pool or lobby etc. Also as it was the family wing, at night it was really quite and we had no disturbances at all.

On the first night I did complain about the AC as it really was not doing a decent job at coming the room down and I was just so hot! Husband was fine so in hindsight it was probably my pregnant body just adjusting to the heat, they couldn't do anything about it anyway as it was on the coldest setting anyway. Our phone also didn't work but was replaced within 2 hours.

You don't require reservations at any of the restaurants and surprisingly it works very well. If its busy they give you a buzzer and let you wait elsewhere like the lobby till your table is available.

The food was pretty bad, as in flies on the food that was not covered like fruit etc especially at the world buffet and to be honest unless you get the when they first open (we did this on our last day) the food is dry and lukewarm. But the staff are excellent!! Sammy the hostess and her team where do welcoming and even got our bump a gift when we were leaving! So kind of her!

The Italian place is great, we had dinner here 3 times and all times were fab! Between the two of us we tried most of the main meals, pasta, spaghetti, pizza, chicken etc. No complaints, great atmosphere and again fab host Angelica I think her name was.

I thought Tiki Tako was awful. I tried tacos and really didnt enjoy it, meat was tastlessyand just bad. I woke up at around 2 am that morning and projectile vomited the entire contents of my stomach and had the runs for the next day :(couldn't have been due to water as we were extra cautious about using tap water. ( Only used it to shower & was hands). Husband on the other hand loved their burritos! We did like this place for breakfast though as it was quiet and we could get omlettes. Also there were no flies etc on the uncovered food as it was indoors. Waiters and staff again were fantastic. The lady on the omelettes even knew our order off head :)

We went into town and ate at this fabulous place called blue shrimp, right on the beach. Excellent! Try the breaded shrimp, absolutely delighted and such an amazing ambience. Love music and beach ocean views! Very reasonably priced too for the sheer amount of food you get.
Staff were fabulous, only let down was that we couldn't sit right by the ocean as they were "reserved" although nobody actually came. We were told of nobody came by x o'clock we could sit there. X time came and nobody came 20 mins later we still couldn't sit there.... Anyway didn't let that spoil our night.

Shops in the hotel are OK but of course prices are inflated. So are the taxi prices! We took uber upon suggestion from locals and was much cheaper. E.g to Marina taxi at the hotel was 50 pesos but via uber it was 37. Taxi to town was 120 pesos but via uber we paid 75 pesos so if you have WiFi I suggest you take uber as you can track the car etc + it's cheaper!

The sunbed situation isn't great. You essentially need to get out there at 8:30 to collect towels and get a sunbed. They have people patrolling sunbeds and seeing how long "reserved" sunbeds have been unoccupied for but I've never actually seen them take any action. Reserving sunbeds is not permitted however, everyone still does it as there are NOT enough sunbeds or umbrellas which is a real shame.

Animation team are great, there are always shows and activities going on. Tequila tasting, aquaerobics, beach volleyball, black jack in the pool, scuba diving intro. From what i saw the kids club was very active too.

It's not the most diverse place in terms of guests, majority are Canadian, American or Mexican families / couples of an older demographic. We were once of a very few British couples. One of only 4 black mixed / couples lol. But to be honest the standard of service doesn't change depending on where you're from, from what I saw everyone was treated really respectfully and fairly.

The location of the hotel is pretty great 15 mins from the airport, on a strip of other hotels and shopping malls. Even at 7 months pregnant I was fine to walk in the heat down to the pizza Hut and mall next to it to get some souvenirs and supplies from the supermarket. We didn't get on a bus as we thought because of my sheer size and it was probably best we didn't, but getting on one of those buses seems like a right adventure!

We went on a boat trip with some snorkeling and a trip to a waterfall. We went with a company called Sunboy I think, it was soooooooooo poor. "Open bar" was a guy with a tray handing out 3 different cocktails and beer. You were lucky if you got 2. Yhh be boat was a shambles, really old and unattractive, the timing was always at least an hour behind schedule. The food that was included was so bad, it was cold and dry burgers and chips or bland white fish. We were all told different times to return to the boat. I was told 4pm but it didn't arrive till 5:20. No apology, nothing. Then they had the cheek to spend 10 mins asking for tips...

We also went on a Bus tour of the city, visited a jewelers, went to another waterfall and did zip lining. It was at the set of where the film predator was shot and they don't let you forget it lol. Lunch was not included but was pretty good. My advice for the jewelers is haggle! They started off with saying £100 for a glass chess set. Got it down to £30 in the end! The waterfall was lovely and my husband had loads of fun zip lining in the middle of the forest. Lunch is not included but was nice, complimentary chips and dip of course and we had kebab which was tasty and decent portion sizes.

In summary I think the hotel was probably a 4 star, would definitely recommend the area but personally won't be returning to this particular hotel.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LizzieOduala23

Dear LizzieOduala23,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

Before everything, we feel pleased to read you enjoyed our Italian restaurant and the service from our hostess Angelica and also our animation team.

On the other hand, we are truly sorry to read we weren't able to exceed your expectations and we have conveyed your comments to our Executive Chef with the purpose of revising our food quality and flavor at least at Tiki Tako. Regarding the pool chairs and sunbeds we are already taking care of this issue and we hope you can visit us again once again to confirm all your feedback was not overlooked.

We look forward to read from you.

Warmest Regards

Econcierge & Social Media Manager

Puerto Vallarta, México.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We spent a terrific week at the resort. It is conveniently located and there were lots of activities for the kids (3 boys ages 13,14 and 16 and 2 girls ages 11 and 12).

The staff was excellent and it was clean and well maintained. In terms of food it was quite good but the one downside was that it was mainly “American” and there was only a limited selection of regional fare. For that you need to go into town.

We would definitely return.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My friend and I both have families with younger children. We chose this resort as our first time in Mexico and first trip away without kids or spouses.
The room was spacious with a nice view. The minibar was stocked 2 times while we were there and once more when we soled. The housekeepers were thorough and friendly.
The food was good. There were times when there wasn’t much to choose from 11-12:30pm and 4-6:30pm. No reservations was a bonus! We loved tiki taco for breakfast and were flexible for other meals.
The pool and beach were nice, we swam in the pool daily and the ocean a few times off the beach. I’m not a good swimmer and I was comfortable with the water right off the resort. Pool chairs were limited but we didn’t mind. Pool towels were guarded like gold by the staff and they were very strict about giving towels even close to closing time
The crowd was mixed with locals and tourists. Older couples, younger couples, families, singles, and friends. The atmosphere was relaxed and there was lots to do during the day and it was nice and quiet at night. We went out some nights and the vip staff were informative and helpful.
There is a nice mall right next door to this resort and shopping within the resort as well. The massages on resort were amazing and well priced.
Overall it was a good price and a good time for the money and I would do it again with friends, my spouse, or with our kids.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends