La Jolla de Guasacate
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Brio(Playa Gigante)
View Hotel
Aqua Wellness Resort(Playa Redonda)
View Hotel
Mukul Beach Golf & Spa(Playa Manzanillo)
View Hotel
Buena Vista Surf Club(Playa Maderas)
  • Breakfast included
HulaKai Hotel(Playa Maderas)
View Hotel
Arte-Sano Hotel Cafe(San Juan del Sur)
View Hotel
All reviewsthis beautiful boutique hotelminute drivebreathtaking viewscevichesurf lessonscosta ricamagnific rocknicoliberiabeachesloungingparadiseyoga
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First, I want to preface this review with the following information.

Shortly after checking into the hotel, I experienced a medical emergency. As a healthcare professional I was experiencing rapid onset of symptoms consistent with a torn retina. Indeed, upon emergency transport by plane back to Cima hospital in Liberia followed by an ambulance ride to Cima hospital Escazu and emergency laser surgery to seal closed two tears in my retina. Surgery was on a Sunday in Alajuela.

Not exactly the way to finish off a vacation.

I live full time in Costa Rica and am building a house there but have not yet received residency. As such, I am required to leave the country every 90 days for a period of 3 days.

On this occasion, I visited Granada for 2 days then based on reviews I read headed to LaJolla de Guasacate. I am used to rural places having spent many months in remote areas of Costa Rica.

I arrived at the hotel on a Saturday around noon and unfortunately was escorted into a room below the value of which I had reserved. Very nice modern room. No complaints. Just not the one I booked.

I went outside to see what view I had. No view of any ocean. A few hills but NO ocean.

Ten minutes later I receive a knock on the door from the front desk person who said he gave me the wrong room.

Ok. Now off to the queen double studio room with kitchenette. Nice room. But. No closet to hang my clothes and no dresser to put my clothes in. Seemed a bit odd so I went outside to find the view. Nowhere could I see the ocean!

My points are these and please form your own opinions. When people say breathtaking views from all rooms, please confirm all rooms have such views. I have a breathtaking view from my home in Costa Rica that faces the ocean. I expected the same based on fotos and reviews.

I do assume the food is excellent as the facility was new and immaculate. And the staff immediately checked me out and called me a taxi so I could get the last flight out of the airport due to my vision loss. Thank you as a retinal tear is a severe medical emergency that if left unchecked can quickly lead to a detached retina and blindness.

Please note that one should consider this area in Nicaragua Beyond Remote. I have lived in such areas before. If you are expecting to be able to walk down the block and get a few eggs and milk then quickly change plans.

If you are desiring a very remote location where you plan to get a ride to a very secluded beach, return to dinner at your cozy little corner restaurant and repeat these activities for a week you will be in heaven.

But if your room has a view of the back of the restaurant please also include that in your eview so others read your review will not be disappointed.

DrJay

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2018

We had a fantastic stay! The staff was incredibly attentive and the management was available and hands on.

The facilities were beautiful and emaculate. The views were breathtaking.

Cannot wait to visit again!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank julieaj8
Reviewed 23 January 2018

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks at this beautiful boutique hotel, December 20, 2017-January 3, 2018, in one of the suites with a kitchen. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable! The kitchen had plenty of equipment although we didn't cook too much in the room because the restaurant's food was so delicious! The ceviche was outstanding! Chefs Rogelio and Chris had nightly specials that were excellent. The new hotel manager, Nico, was getting settled in. He had everything running very smoothly. The staff was so considerate and accommodating. Jonathon, Rudy, Heydi and Dina were very attentive in the restaurant. Balvino and Hugo were on hand for anything we needed. Anytime we wanted to go to the beach, someone was always available to take us. Playa Guasacate is less than a 10 minute drive and it is paradise! Huge beach with very few people. My husband took surf lessons and I took yoga. Nico did a fantastic job of setting up our classes, getting us to and from the beach, and helping us rent a truck to visit Granada and San Juan del Sur on our own. All of the staff were helpful and informative on all the fun things to see and do close by. We were there when the hotel was almost empty to when it was completely full. The service was always excellent. The property is built in such a way that it is quiet and peaceful no matter how many guests are there. Plenty of common areas to enjoy and mingle with other guests. After visiting San Juan del Sur, we knew we had made the right choice by staying at La Jolla de Guasacate. It's a beautiful escape from the real world! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: From what we saw, all of the rooms appeared to have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

We went there for some drinks and it cost us $6 in a taxi to get there from our hotel. When we asked them to order a taxi when it came to leaving, they said it would be $15. We talked them down to $12 and then were told to pay them directly and not the driver. The same driver who dropped us off came to collect us! Tip for the hotel: when you have an empty restaurant you should be encouraging people to visit and not rip them off for doing so.
Also for those that want to go surfing it is a long way to the beach (not a walk - 5 min car).

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bianca D
rvallejor, Manager at La Jolla de Guasacate, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2017

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about your experience with the taxi service we called you when you visited the hotel. Your experience is very important to us.

Upon review of the situation and calling the taxi service, I was unable to determine why the taxi service charged us more to take you to the Magnifico Rock hotel than what you were charged to come to the hotel. The driver was unable to recall if he had been the one providing the service or not nor where you were picked up at.

Calling a taxi for our guests is a hotel service we gladly provide and I have instructed our staff not to collect on behalf fo the taxi services but to simply refer our customers to the service provider and allow the guest to pay for the service directly.

We sincerely apologize for this confusion and would gladly refund you the difference you paid. If you have a paypal account I can send you money to, please let me know.

Romulo Vallejo
Operations Manager

Reviewed 28 November 2017

My wife and I just spent 4 days at La Jolla and had a wonderful experience. The views are exceptional and just several minutes from pristine Nicaraguan beaches. Our room was beautiful and the restaurant cuisine was exceptional and reasonably priced. We surfed,relaxed by the pool, explored many beaches and had an overall wonderful stay at La Jolla.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple