“Amazing day in the Northern Rhone...”
Review of Rhone Wine Tours

Rhone Wine Tours
Ranked #1 of 5 Food & Drink in Nyons
More attraction details
Owner description: Rhone Wine Tours offers private tours throughout the Rhone Valley, from Lyon to Avignon, from Cote-Rotie to Chateauneuf-du-Pape, and all the vineyards in between. All the estates are family-owned and you really get the chance to meet the winemakers. Our door-to-door service means there's no need to drive and an English-speaking guide takes care of the translation. Fun but informative wine tastings are also available - we bring the Rhone straight to your holiday home!
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We thoroughly enjoyed our day in the Northern Rhone a few weeks ago. After reading the other TA reviews and my email back-and-forth with Paul, my expectations were high, yet they were still exceeded. We learned a lot, and I have a newfound love for the region. Paul thoughtfully curated a really fun and informative day, and, of course, we tasted some amazing wines.

We thoroughly enjoyed our driving tour/education in between visits, the pre-selected lunch spot, and separate visits to great Crozes-Hermitage and Cote-Rotie vineyards. However, we'll always have a soft spot for Phillipe and his operation at Domaine de Gouye, after our experience at his property in Saint-Joseph (see attached pic). Getting to spend time directly with the owner/farmer/winemaker, try his current vintages and an older vintage pulled from the cellar, and even share some hand-cut saucisson with him on his rustic property, was just the sort of micro-production experience we were aiming for. We'll never forget any of it.

Paul seems to specialize in forming trusted relationships with smaller producers in the regions he serves, and that appealed to us, having been to plenty of industrial-strength producers in Napa/Sonoma and Oregon in the past (some of which make great wine, but, as with any region where there are exceptions, the larger producers rarely offer a very intimate tasting experience).

Until the next time, when we'd love to hit the southern Rhone Valley with you, Paul (and maybe get back to the North for another visit), thanks for all of your help! We deeply appreciated it.

Paul B, Owner at Rhone Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for posting such nice comments - I’m delighted that you enjoyed the day. Philippe certainly is one of a kind, and the rustic surroundings aren’t for everybody, but he’s such a warm, generous person (plus I love his wines) and it’s those sorts of experiences that I want to share.

All reviews
"few years"
"excellent value"
"small producers"

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Thank you Paul for a wonderful two days of wine tastings. We appreciate you customizing the tour to meet our travel needs as well as the thought that went into creating a tour that showed us not only a variety of wines but also variety in how the wines are made. We enjoyed all the wine we tasted as well as the wine makers themselves. The restaurants you chose for our lunches and your recommendation for our accommodations at La Capitelle were perfect. It was a pleasure tasting with you.

Paul B, Owner at Rhone Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Hi Andrea,

It works both ways - it was a pleasure for me to spend a couple of days with your group. And if you enjoyed the wines, the lunch stops and La Capitelle then that obviously helps!
If you're ever back in the region I'd be delighted to be your guide.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

We had an excellent tour of the Southern Rhone Valley with Paul. We were able to visit a variety of wineries and taste many different wines from white to red to rose. Paul is very knowledgeable about the region and their wines. Following our tour, Paul continued to help us by providing many recommendations for restaurants and wineries throughout the region, all of which turned out to be terrific. We will be sure to use Paul's services when visiting the Rhone Valley in the future.

Paul B, Owner at Rhone Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Hi Kamren,

Thank you for your generous review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the day and glad that any tips I passed on worked out. You'd certainly be very welcome if you're ever in the Rhone again.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We booked 2 days of wine tours with Paul as our guide. It was amazing! I have traveled all over Europe and I have to say this was the best tour I have ever taken. Paul was amazing! So knowledgeable about the area and the wine making process. the tour seemed custom made for us. He had a great relationship with all the winery owners we visited, they all seemed to have respect for his abilities and knowledge. We had just the right amount of time at each one, and hit different types from very small to large. He also went above and beyond to insure we had a choice of good hotels and restaurants for before during and after. I feel like I learned so much while having a lot of fun. I would recommend his tours to anyone who truly wants to experience the real wines of France!

Sorry for the delay in responding - it's been a rather busy autumn season.

It's very kind of you to say such nice things. It was a lot of fun for me too. And, of course, spending two days tasting great wines is never a hardship!

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 October 2017

From beginning to end, Paul was informative, professional and well - phenomenal. We spent two days touring six vineyards in the Southern Rhone region. I provided Paul some preferences and requests in advance, which he then took and weaved into a spectacular two days. At times he guided us through the winery and tasting, while at other times he supplemented with his extensive knowledge. He was there every moment to answer any and all questions we had. The lunch spots he picked were also perfect. As far as I am concerned, this is the ONLY wine tour to do in the Rhone region! Oh, and our visit with Thomas - AMAZING!

Paul B, Owner at Rhone Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2017

Randy,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. It was a pleasure.

Obviously I'm delighted that you enjoyed my part of the proceedings, but equally happy that you enjoyed your lunches and meeting Thomas (as well as all the other winemakers, I hope!).