Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 June 2021

Don't be fooled by the lovely historic building and lake-side spot this hotel occupies. Upon staying here, it's as if the owners are doing everything they can to run this place into the ground. I really hope they take note of the numerous negative reviews on this site and do something about it, because it seems like this could be a great hotel.

A (very) reduced list of problems encountered, when I visited in 2019:

- "Check-in time ends at 6pm", according to my documentation, meaning I had to abandon a few plans for my trip just to get there. This was far earlier than any other hotel or B&B I had been to on my Scottish trip - in fact far more restrictive than any hotel I've ever stayed at.

- Staff were basically just milling about, I thought they were guests initially because they didn't seem bothered about attending to anyone. They weren't necessarily rude to me as others on this site have commented, but they didn't seem particularly invested in running their hotel.

- The bed was disgusting. The sheets were full of holes and had solid clumps of unwashed detergent stuck to them. Detergent is an irritant, so it wasn't particularly safe to sleep in this bed!

- The amenities were disgusting - the kettle was half-full with stagnant water. I shudder to think how long it had been in there.

- The shower was unbelievably filthy. What looked like years of grime and dirt had collected in the seals. I'm not sure you would have stepped out of the shower cleaner than when you went in.

- The bar was 'open', only in the sense that if you were there and the manager lady also happened to be there, you could buy a drink. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

- The room was cold. It wasn't even a particularly cold night.

I left this place feeling unwelcome, unclean, and cheated by having to re-arrange my plans for the privilege of staying in this hellhole. Avoid.

Room tip: The best rooms can be found in a different hotel.
Date of stay: June 2021
1  Thank Mojave89
Reviewed 31 May 2021 via mobile

Hotel in a beautiful location, we arrived to check in around 7.20 following a long day's drive. We were greeted by a grumpy lady who prompted told us we were late and dinner was only served till 7. This is not mentioned anywhere on the booking and 7.20 is by no means a late dinner,we were told if we want to eat we would need to place our order and eat immediately. The woman proceeded to be rude throughout the dinner, was clearly rushing and even said this is what happens when guests are late and made us feel very unwelcome and like we were being told off at school.

Food was average but very overpriced.

Decor was dated, bed was comfortable but the room was far too hot. The sink taps are on the wrong way and no shower, the shower head was just loose.

Would not stay again and definately not worth the money.

Reviewed 27 May 2021

A warm welcome awaits...not how i would put it put it but we were welcomed. As for the views....I had a room facing the road, we ordered dinner which we had to pre order as we arrived at 5.45 as dinner was 6-7 and had to pre-ordered it and to our dismay was served in a very tired reception overlooking the car park. The food was good, a little expensive for the quantity but overall good. However dining is an experience and we were talking amongst your selves about the hotel, how we had been excited to stay there and it wasn't living up to our expectations, we were mentioning small rooms, no view of the loch from inside the hotel due to the dining room being locked and the bar closed which had a fire escape from where you can see the loch when the lady owner burst in and said she'd been listening to our conversation and continued to give us a dressing down Infront of other guests. It was like scene from Faulty Towers played by Cathy Bates from Misery. The meal was a disaster! Horrible atmosphere, horrible location - I might as well have dined in a roadside dinner, awful service from the lady. We asked for black pepper and were told you have pepper on the table, we informed her that the pepper on the table was white pepper one we'd like black for the salmon, she said they don't do black pepper as the mills squeak!! One of the guys from the kitchen gave us some sachets of black pepper, when the lady saw it she went crazy demanding to know where it had come from. One of our party felt so uncomfortable he went to his room and stayed there. The atmosphere was awful so we all retired at 8.30. now for breakfast....coming down to eat we spoke and said that we just wanted to leave the hotel and would have a quick breakfast and leave, however breakfast was completely the opposite, breakfast was served in a truly beautiful room overlooking the loch, the service was excellent, (from the same woman) the food excellent, over a few coffees the fear of breakfast subsided and the breakfast experience was great. Totally the opposite of the night before. We started to relax and had a good time.

We spoke briefly with the male owner who told us due to the travel restrictions they are struggling to get seasonal staff and at the time we stayed only had one assistant which probably explains some of the issues we faced which was probably due to workload.

It was an experience staying at the Loch Maree Hotel, and one I'll probably not forget but I'm going to end my review by saying the owners have probably struggled through lock downs and now they are opening up are further hindered by not being able to recruit temporary staff. I would like to revisit the Loch Maree Hotel in the future to see if they've recovered as the lounge, dining room and staircase are stunning. I didn't get a loch view but I would imagine the view from the lochside rooms are the same.

I have two scores, based on our arrival and evening I would never go back to the Loch Maree and would have reviewed it as "one star'. Reviewing breakfast I would say 'four stars'. Understanding that the owners have struggled and are still struggling through covid restrictions makes me feel empathy and allows me to excuse the evening experience a little based on the following morning.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank 332domb
Reviewed 16 May 2021 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as part of a trip around Scotland.
The hotel is very tired looking.
Our room was freezing cold when we came in and there were cobwebs and dead insects in the corners of the ceiling..so much for extra cleaning due to covid!
Breakfast wasn't great either. Sausages were very cheap, OJ was weak and eggs were swimming in water which made the whole plate wet.
The staff seemed lac lustre and uninterested in their guests..even though there were only 2 rooms booked the night we stayed!
Water is brown, due to "tanning" and the pressure is awful, the hotels response was "wait 30 minutes for others to finish" surely its time to come into the 21st century and fix these issues..?
Tv was unwatchable due to poor signal.
Certainly isn't worth the money they charge. If the staff weren't so unapproachable and cold, we would have certainly raised these points, but any conversation seemed a drain on their existence.
Hotel was also closed over the pandemic last year, so it would have been nice for some renovations to have been done to make the place more inviting.

1  Thank sazikinz
Reviewed 16 May 2021 via mobile

We have passed this hotel a number of times and always thought it looked like a lovely location so we we’re excited to stay at this historic inn. Sadly we were disappointed when we finally arranged a visit. We have never felt more unwelcome at a hotel in all our travels. The hotel itself was nice enough, a little dated but ok. The hotel has like many places been closed for most of the past year and is obviously trying to recoup some money but we felt the room rate was far too high for the standard of service we received and particularly high for food and drink. The quirky old issues with water and wonky rooms could be easily overlooked if we had received a warm welcome but the abrupt and sloppy service was hard to forgive.