“wonderful atmospheric old house”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
maisie c
Durham, United Kingdom
“wonderful atmospheric old house”
Reviewed 24 June 2012 for a stay in May 2012

Ormidale House was a great place to stay for a large group of us. It's perfectly kitted out with games rooms, plasma tv, wi-fi, snooker and every mod con you can think of in the kitchen.

But it's the character of the House which makes it so great. It has a step-back-in-time feel, not overly grand so as to be unfriendly but definitely smacking of bygone wealth and good taste. We lazed around it all day, using the swimming pool, sauna, table-tennis, snooker et cetera - it's a lovely, leisurely place to bask in, ideal for our large group with enough choice of rooms to split up and lose the kids, and a big dining room for evening get-togethers.

The area looked beautiful but to be honest most of us, including me, didn't leave the grounds - there was good golf somewhere nearby, according to my husband.

The staff were great, and standards of cleanliness were first class, clean, quality sheets and towels etc. Absolutely nothing detracted from an idyllic break.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The sense of ages past in a house with every modern need
Travelling group: With Friends
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
K K
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Truly amazing, best wedding venue ever”
Reviewed 28 May 2012 for a stay in May 2012

Coming back down to earth after a truly amazing stay at Ormidale House.
Just had our wedding day (12th of May ) followed the next day by my 40th on a fantastic weekend. From booking the holiday with the owner, who is a very helpful and professional chap, to arriving for the weekend and meeting the resident estate managers, everything flowed and nothing was too much trouble, there was always someone around if needed and if not you could get on with enjoying your stay. The house is impressive but feels very welcoming and relaxed, everything is just as it appears on the website, clean tidy and well cared for. The house was full of family and friends but never felt too full and we had a lovely laid back wedding, which was the plan. The guys in our party gravitated to the popular games room for a bit of pre-wedding relaxation! Its definitely a party place as the house comes alive when its full of people. Everyone said what a beautiful setting it was and we were all sorry when it was time to leave. It is the best way to start married life and one of the most magical weekends I've ever had. I look forward to returning.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house looks very grand but feels very welcoming
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Other
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Suzanne M
east of England
“Drawing Room - The Creative Holiday I needed”
Reviewed 15 May 2012 for a stay in March 2012

I needed a creative, relaxing holiday. That is exactly what I got!

I met a wonderful group of people, the other participants, the wonderful art tutor and the house owner John. I saw some amazingly beautiful scenery, got some drawing and painting crammed in, took 100s of photos and got to relax in a house that I would otherwise never have had the chance to stay in (I loved the huge bed!), not forgetting sitting in the hot tub surrounded by daffodils admiring the views at 4pm in the afternoon.

As one of the group that took part in this first ever run of the 'Drawing Room' I can say I had a fantastic time. As the other review mentioned there were "hiccups" along the way (but c'est la vie - when any of us do something new for the first time, is it not?), these blips were handled in the best possible way and to me that is all they were. Our "Drawing Room" was the first to take place and I am so glad I was part of it.

I would go again!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: relaxed atmosphere - staff very helpful - and the odd
Liked least: indication that renovation work taking place - but on an old house, as any with any house maintenance work is part of life
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing