“Solo trip to paradise - Highly recommended!!!”
Review of Coral Gardens

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Great Exuma
Coral Gardens
Ranked #1 of 13 Great Exuma B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 July 2015

Travelling alone can be nerve wrecking, especially in an unfamiliar place. Rest assured that you will not feel that way if you book your stay with Peter and Betty.

Upon arrival at Georgetown Airport, they had arranged a taxi pick-up for me. A mere 10 minutes later we pulled into the driveway of Coral Gardens, very conveniently located. Betty greeted me at the door and helped me get settled in. I learned that the beautiful Hoopers Bay beach was a 5-10 minute walk away, and also Smitty's convenience/grocery store.

Hoopers Bay beach is absolutely incredible, if you are looking for a peaceful escape this is the place to be. There were maybe 6 other people on the beach on it's busiest day, but most days I had it all to myself. It is also very long, so even when there are other people, you are never closer than 100 metres.

Peter and Betty are very knowledgeable about the island, and were able to give me lots of great suggestions on things to do, places to visit, where to eat, and - my biggest concern - how to safely get around.
After being reassured by my hosts about the safety of this island, not only did I feel safe walking, but I was also happily able to accept rides from locals to get to and from Georgetown (10-15 minutes by car, about an hour to walk). It is important to realize that this is the way of life on Exuma. If somebody sees you walking along the one and only main road, there is a big chance that they will stop and offer to drive you to your destination. This all with only the best intentions. I took a total of 6 lifts from different people, and I learned a lot of interesting things about life on Exuma. Taxi's are also available, though I would recommend travelling as I did. Not only did I save money, it also left me feeling very grateful and humbled. I came to really appreciate the Bahamian people, and the life they live.

I knew that during my stay at some point I wanted to go on a boat tour of the Cays and Peter made all the arrangements for me. I went with Roberts Island Adventures, and was picked up from the end of Garden Road and also dropped back off at the end of the day. All of this was included in the price of the tour.

One of my favourite days was at Chat 'n Chill on Stocking Island. Peter explained to me how to get to the water taxi dock in Georgetown, how much it would cost, and also the different options of things to do on Stocking Island. It was very easy and inexpensive, and a very social friendly atmosphere at Chat 'n Chill.

Every day before venturing out Peter and Betty would check to see if I had any questions or concerns, and reminded me to bring my sunscreen. They prepared a little cooler bag with ice for me daily, so that I could bring sandwiches and water on my adventures.

I could not have asked for a more wonderful experience. I truly had my dream holiday, and I cannot thank my hosts enough. I will certainly be returning to this stunning island, and I will not have to think twice about where to stay. I hope that this review was helpful to those who are hesitant to travel alone. If you stay at Coral Gardens you have nothing to worry about!!!

Room Tip: B&B is perfect for one or two persons, but there are also beachfront cottage rentals available.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
7  Thank Freya T
bahamasbliss, Owner at Coral Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2015

Freya,

It was so good to read about your experiences on your TripAdvisor Review.

We always encourage our guests to write about their adventures & how much they enjoyed their holiday to Exuma so that more people can learn about the beauty of the island.

Thank you for your kind words about Coral Gardens & we send you our best wishes & thanks,

Betty & Peter - pwners

Reviewed 17 July 2015

We stayed in the B&B June 13-18th and couldn't say more good things about Coral Gardens. From the very start via email, Peter and Betty were excellent at answering all of our questions about the island and their accommodations. It's rare that you find people like the Oxley's who will truly cater to your vacation.

We stayed in one of the king bed rooms and it was perfect for our needs. As budget travelers who don't need the fancier things in life, but want a comfortable, spotless and homey place to rest our head at night - this fit the bill. For the price, we got much more than we had bargained for. Bed was comfy, room had a cool breeze (room has an ac unit but we didn't turn it on, it cooled down nicely at night despite being in the 90's during the day). Bathroom was on the small side but had everything you'd need.

Every morning, Peter had our breakfast ready for us (toast, fresh fruit, coffee/tea, cereal) and after we finished, he would help us plan our adventures for the day. He knows everything there is to know about Great Exuma which was such a blessing, as we didn't have internet access while roaming about the island. Each day he helped us plan where to go and sent us off with maps and even snorkel gear to borrow when we needed it. There could not be a nicer gentleman, he truly made us feel like we were valued guests in his home. He completely made our stay in the Exumas.

When late one night our tour to see the swimming pigs was cancelled (always check your email often! Wifi is great at Coral Gardens) - Peter went to the ends of the earth to make sure that we were re-booked with another tour company so that our vacation wouldn't be ruined (who doesn't come to Exuma without seeing the pigs?!) - In the end, we had a fantastic trip to the cays and would have completely missed out if it weren't for Peter.

Other helpful info:
-You can rent a car through Peter which we did (you can't come to Great Exuma without renting a car - a bicycle won't cut it either, it's a very long and remote island). We had the little jeep and had the time of our lives adventuring all over the island!
-Ask Peter who to book a tour with and he can help arrange for you. He has lived on Exuma for a long time and knows his stuff. We should have done this in the first place and would not have had the mishap that we did!

We have traveled all over the world and staying at Coral Gardens on Great Exuma stands out as my personal favorite thus far. We could have stayed at one of the resorts, but it would have lacked the personal touch and true island experience that we got while staying here.

Peter has apartments and other properties, but if you are a budget traveler who is in for an adventure and wants to get the true local feel of the Exumas, stay here! Thanks again!!

-Campbell and Andrew

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Campbell S
bahamasbliss, Owner at Coral Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2015

We are so glad that you really enjoyed your vacation to Exuma & we shared the pleasure of your different experiences & activities by reading your TripAdvisor Review.

Thank you for taking the trouble of writing & we hope we can meet you again & welcome you to stay once more at Coral Gardens.

Best wishes from the sunshine & warmth.

Reviewed 20 April 2015

We had the chance to visit Great Exuma last March, for the Easter holiday. It was the first time for us in Bahamas where we were looking for some rest, possibly far from the crowd that sometimes affect touristic destinations. A friend of us suggested Exuma, and knowing our style, he also recommended to stay at Coral Gardens.
It was a succesful choice! The island is amazingly nice: you will be shocked by the beauity of the sea and by the thousands shades of blue. The beaches are quite fantastic, never crowded. You can taste good food in many reastaurant by the sea. Coral Gardens is a perfect accomodation: rooms are very nice and clean, breakfast is great. Peter, the owner of Coral Garden, is an absolute plus: he knows perfectly the island and all the attractions and activities you can have over there, so his morning briefing can really help you to focus on what you would really like to do. My advice is to rent a car: there are nice offroad toyota that Peter can offer. In our experience a must see is the boat tour at the Exuma cays.
The only negative thing... time flyes and you have to get back sometime.
We really suggest a stay in Exuma and we will always sponsor a stay in Coral Garden that is a piece of paradise with a perfect mentor, that is Peter.
Stefano and Roberta

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 100robim
bahamasbliss, Owner at Coral Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2015

You were both lovely guests who we very much enjoyed meeting & helping you with your first visit to Exuma.

Thank you very much for the wonderful TripAdvisor Review which will help other people who may be thinking of visiting Exuma.

Best wishes & hope we can welcome you on another visit - either again to Exuma or to our Casa Tramonto Stupendo in nearby Long Island.

Reviewed 16 April 2015

We spent 8 days at Coral Gardens Studios, and it was just amazing!
The studio rent was little, but provided of anything you may need, and very close to groceries by feet, and just 10 minutes from George Town by car.
Hoopers Bay is terrific, so the position of the house is just perfect if you want to enjoy your day "at home"!
Peter was very helpful, and we really thank him for his hospitality!
I strongly recommend this place if you want to visit Exuma.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Memme28
Reviewed 31 March 2015

Had a absolutely lovely stay at Coral Gardens and Great Exuma. First of all, this is a "must-visit-island". The people here are extremely friendly and nice. Wherever you go you are offered a ride to your destination, and no, they won´t accept money for it. This is the kind of island where you don´t close your room, and you can safely leave your valuables in the car, or at the beach and go for a walk. And, when you can´t get hold of a cab after a late dinner/drink, the bartender will drive you home (this actually happened to us 3 times on diffrent locations).

So, back to the Coral Gardens. The B&B is located in the absolute middle of the island, wich makes it a great place to see the island with a car. We had a car for half of our stay, and the owner, Peter, sat down with us after breakfast with the map and showed us places worth to visit. After living on the island for over 15 years, he knows about every restaurant, shack, beach and everything.

The room is simple, but really cosy and nice. You have everything you need. Anyways, you don´t want to use much time in your room when you are on this island.

Coral Gardens is a short walk from Hooper´s Bay, a incredible beach. You will probably meet more turtles than people here, wich is great.

While we stayed at Coral Gardens, Peter helped for us to arrange rental car, boat trips, taxis and everything else.

We had a absolute incredible stay here, and wouldn´t hesistate to go back.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aleksander J
bahamasbliss, Owner at Coral Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2015

Your Review is a wonderful way of helping people who may want to enjoy staying either at Coral Gardens, or our Beach Apartments at Sandy Palms & Coral Sands - which are also listed on TripAdvisor or FlipKey.

Very many thanks for writing & we certainly hope to welcome you & many others during this summer.

Best wishes from the sunshine & 30* of Exuma.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Exuma
Augusta Bay Bahamas
#1 of 4 in George Town
15.7 km away
Sandals Emerald Bay Golf, Tennis and Spa Resort

Been to Coral Gardens? Share your experiences!