Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews dive staff shark dive conch fritters andros island blue hole other guests jeff birch hot tub all inclusive resort dive resort new friends summer camp great diving goat laid back fish cocktail hour
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 July 2021 via mobile

Our second visit to Small Hope and just as wonderful as the last. Stunning beaches, excellent diving, but what makes it is the people - warm, friendly and full of tales of adventure; they love the life, and you can’t help but love it too.

We weren’t quite sure how the setup would work in light of the pandemic but they still make you feel incredibly well cared for whilst doing things in the safest way possible - the main difference being they give you your drinks and food rather than helping yourself, and that’s no great hardship!

I did my open water with them last time I was here - and under their patient tutelage I’ve gone from wouldn’t descend in the open sea to my very first shark dive - life changing! Can’t wait to return when we can :)

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 29 May 2021

Very comfortable room perhaps 100 feet from the water, a short stroll from the dining room (where breakfast was served) and the Beachfront Terrace, where lunch and dinner were served, unless weather prevented (it didn't). Fabulous food and drink, artfully presented by friendly and attentive staff. While centered around diving and snorkeling, fishing (for us, fly fishing for Bonefish) and birdwatching are integral parts of the program. The independent fishing guide chosen for us by the lodge is the most outstanding I have ever fished with, leading me to double-digit days and improving my casting along the way. Birdwatching was unguided, on the property (Highlights Great Lizard Cuckoo and Bahama Oriole) or guided by onstaff naturalist to N. Andros Hotspots (Highlights Cuban Pewee and Red-legged Thrush). Staff also arranged a visit to the Androsia Factory where all the very enthusiastic employees/ artisans gave us a thorough tour of this very labor intensive operation. The bright colors and striking designs were brought to life on clothing, table linens, and more!

Reviewed 29 May 2021

My boyfriend and I recently spent a week at SHBL, We both work in health care and had not had any time off since the beginning of the Pandemic. I was feeling exhausted and burned out but our time at the Lodge restored my soul. It truly is a very special place. The owners Jeff and Brian and their team go above and beyond to make sure you are enjoying your self and feeling like a prized guest.

My BF's favorites were his dive trips and our bike ride to a blue hole where we jumped in. Some other highlights for us both included kayaking in the creek, a trip to the batik factory where we got a lesson, the delicious fresh food including excellent desserts, our bright clean room where I could watch the sunrise over the water every morning, time to just lounge in a hammock to read and our time getting dropped off to a small island that we had to ourselves for snorkeling and sunning.

Happy hour before dinner every evening was also a special time. It was fun getting to socialize with the other guests and to hear about their adventures for the day all while enjoying delicious drinks and appetizers. My boyfriend is a huge fan of conch fritters and was happy to enjoy their delicious ones every night.

We met several guests who were repeat visitors and we know why. You will leave feeling like family and like you had just spent time at one of the best places on Earth. Lucky for us, we live in Florida where getting to Andros Island is just a short hour flight from Ft Lauderdale - we are already dreaming about when we can get back there.

Date of stay: May 2021
Reviewed 7 May 2021

My wife and I, and another couple, just returned from Small Hope Bay Lodge and what can I say but Wow! We stayed 6 nights and I wish we could have stayed longer. This trip was the perfect trip. So here's the low down.

Food - I have travelled all over the Bahamas and stayed at many resorts. I was apprehensive about buffet style dinners, but my apprehension was quickly removed. The food was great. For breakfast, the cook will cook you a hot breakfast of your choice. Make sure to get some Bahamian bread toast. We had lunch either on the boat while fishing our out at the bar when we were not fishing. For fishing days the staff gets your order the night before at dinner. Sandwiches, salads, chips, cookies, the works. Before dinner each night, starting around 5:30-6 PM, snacks are served at the bar, including great conch fritters. The dinner menu included meat items like chicken, lobster, tuna steaks, beef steaks, snapper fingers. There were also salads and desserts. The caramel cookies were the bomb. Don did a great job. His potato chunks are the best.

Activities: The guys fished four days with Glaister (pronounced Glister). You can book 1/2 day or whole days. We had a front that produced windy conditions but we still caught some great fish, one 9lbs and a total of 21 all together. We fished in Fresh Creek area. The girls went snorkeling, and one day we all did a shallow dive. Awesome. The staff is the best at taking care of guest on the water and the land. We also went to one of the inland blue holes and swam one day. A must to do for your itinerary.

Rooms: Rooms are very large, but the bathrooms are kinda small, especially the shower. Room was always very clean. We had an AC room but never used it. You must spray the windows at night before going to bed to keep the no-see-ums out. It works and the lodge will provide the spray bottles.

Staff: Can't say enough about the folks that took such good care of us. Great people. Jeff has done a great job at selecting his workers. From the kitchen to the bar to the dive boat to the cleaning staff, all were nice, helpful and polite. The best!

Tips for travelers: Before going out of your room in the morning, put on bug spray with deet. Its just what you have to do or you will get bites. The dive videos after dinner are great. Try all the bar drinks, they are included and easy to get. Go diving. Go fishing. Relax and have fun.

Tips for SHB: Some larger coffee cups would be great or a self serve coffee station during breakfast. I wish there was not so much litter outside the resort on the roads. That would make the experience even better.

Room tip: We stayed in room 3. Easy walk to office, bar, dock, dinning.
Reviewed 23 April 2021

We spent spring break 2021 at Small Hope Bay lodge and had a great time. We chose the lodge primarily for the great Bonefishing in the area, and it did not disappoint. The lodge was small and very comfortable in a beautiful location. The staff takes great pride in their work and took great care of us. Our teenage daughters did the discover scuba course with the lodge dive crew and loved it. We fly fished for bonefish for several days with some great independent guides who put us on tons of nice Bones. We will definitely return to Small Hope someday.

Date of stay: April 2021
Jeffrey Birch, Owner at Small Hope Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2021

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for bringing your family to stay with us! We loved meeting all of you, and I'm so happy to know you enjoyed the bonefishing on the island, the resort, and were even able to take advantage of our complimentary resort course! My staff and I love welcoming new guests to the island. Our unspoilt beauty in a serene location are truly amazing, but I think what brings people back again and again are the friendly staff and laidback vibes. We would love to see all of you again for more diving and fishing!