“Quality handcrafted coconut jewelry & accessories”
Review of Coconut Treasures

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Coconut Treasures
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We went to visit Port Lucaya Marketplace almost daily in our recent trip to Freeport (my second trip to Freeport). I am always interested in supporting local artists and bringing back souvenirs that have a handcrafted feel. Amongst the sea of tshirts, shot glasses, tie dyed dresses that are not made on the island, Coconut Treasures is a pleasant discovery to the artisan crafts appreciator. If you're interested in local handmade crafts similar to One of a Kind Craft show that they have in Toronto, then this jewelry & accessories cart is the place to go in the market!

Coconut Treasures is a stand alone cart in the middle of Arts and Crafts market. On display are items where 80% are handmade by the local artist, Gina Marche. She sells items all made from coconut shells of unique earrings, pendant necklaces, handcrafted magnets, pony tail holders, Christmas ornaments, masks that are thickly lacquered for durability and have a bahamian inspired feel. Definitely these craft pieces are unique originals and I can tell they are high quality; a refreshing change to the many retail stalls awash with cheap and repetitious items that are not made on the island.

I don't have a photo of the display, but here is an example of what I saw of her unique and original work: https://www.bahamas.com/node/52662.

We bought two magnets made of coconut shell (they are hand painted with scenes on the front) and one coconut bangle which is thick and sturdy, lacquered and gold striping. Definitely my coconut bangle will be the envy of the office ladies at work!

My suggestion is to go there and chat with the owner when she is there at her shop. She spends half of her time hand making the items (that's commitment to the art, if you ask me!) so she can't always be at the shop to sell the items at the same time.

6  Thank Whereheart_wanders