Review of Taino Beach

and up
Freeport Bonfire on the Beach Bahamas Style
Ranked #8 of 62 things to do in Freeport
More attraction details
Owner description: Lovely beach, known for its remote stretches of sand.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed 12 February 2018

This pretty beach near town has a row of informal restaurants that do a weekly evening fish (seafood) fry that attracts a local crowd of families. Fun way to spend the evening after a day at the beach.

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"grand bahama"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 11 February 2018

My husband and I came here with our 2 daughters (who were 16 & 3 at the time) on May 2, 2017, as an excursion with Carnival Freedom cruise.

Here is a journal entry I wrote for that day:
Good day in Freeport, Bahamas today. We walked around a little bit right there by the ship where all the shops and Senor Frogs are, but that was about all there was to do. We didn't buy anything and, honestly, didn't even look inside any stores (which are basically just little huts that they stand outside of..they call it a "Straw Market"). I'd already heard about how pushy the Bahamians are with sales, which is understandable as this is their means of living.

They say the sun is very hot in the Bahamas, and that is no joke. (Fortunately I had lathered enough 50 SPF sunscreen on everyone and we came out without a single burn.) We were very hot within 20 minutes and went to find a shaded spot to sit in until it was time to load the (air-conditioned!) bus and travel to Taino Beach, which was about a 20 minute drive away. They drive in the left hand lane there, but you will see cars with steering wheels on either side (I've never been to England, but it may be the same way there). You can still see a lot of damage from Hurricane Matthew that came through last year!

Honestly, Freeport wasn't interesting looking at all. Not to me, anyway. Not after you've seen the beaches in Florida and been to Hawaii. Just wasn't anything special, really, though the water is a pretty blue and the sand is very white. I was a little disappointed that the water wasn't as clear as I had expected it to be, at least not where we were. I mean, you could still see your hand under water, but only as long as it wasn't more than 6" or so away. Some of the YouTube videos I've seen of the water in the Bahamas made it look very clear for several feet under. Maybe it's because we were around a bunch of other people and the sand and stuff was getting all stirred up??

Another negative..we found a few pieces of glass around the beach, but fortunately we had water shoes on! I'd already been prepared because I'd read the reviews about that.

Our ticket included lunch and non-alcoholic drinks, but, silly me, I just assumed we would be eating as soon as we got there because it was lunchtime, so I purposefully didn't eat like my husband and the kids did before we left the ship. Turned out we wouldn't eat until 2 hours later, but I survived. They had fried tilapia that my husband thought were chicken strips and grabbed a ton of (they were pretty good! I barely noticed it wasn't chicken!), very delicious quesadillas, a basic salad, BBQ ribs (that my toddler loved - I wish I'd gotten a picture of her eating them and the mess all over her hands and face!), rice, and I know I'm missing something but can't remember at the moment! I also got to try my first conch fritter, which is the big thing in Key West and the Bahamas. Basically it's fried conch meat, which sounds totally unappetizing to me, but I wanted to try it. I thought it tasted a lot like a hush puppy from Long John Silver's, so it was pretty good! One of the young Bahamian women working the kids area at the beach said fresh conch meat is even better. They put lemon or lime and/or different herbs/seasonings on it and that it tastes amazing. Not sure I'm brave enough for the fresh variety yet. I'm not much of a seafood person.

This same woman, named Jennifer, we sat and talked with a good 45 minutes or so. It was very interesting talking with someone born and raised in Freeport. She said her family was from Barbados. She said the Bahamas are really a whole lot like the U.S. The only thing she asked us about the U.S. that seemed mind blowing to her was that she heard we can cross over to another state in our car...that we'll just be driving and suddenly be in another state. Haha. She said she had never been in a river, that she's seen a lot of movies and it seems too many bad things, like snakes, come out of rivers, so she has no interest in going in one. She said she and her family sometimes travel to Key West by boat or airplane to go shopping, especially for Black Friday sales. She talked about all the different denominations there (she said she was Methodist), and she said the Baptists there are very into their praise and worship, more so than anyone. I told her I grew up Baptist and it is opposite where I'm from. Then again, she did say, "Have you ever been to a BLACK Baptist church?" There's probably a difference. :-) She said they often honk to say hello to people they know when driving, which I noticed our bus driver was doing constantly. She said to avoid Atlantis in Nassau, which I already knew from reviews is way overrated.

Other than that, my toddler had a great time. Her favorite thing to do was play in the sand. For some reason she kept scooping up a shovel of sand and carrying out chin deep into the water. She did that several times. There was a small inflatable "water park" she played on a little, but it was a bit difficult for her. I enjoyed picking up seashells. My husband and teenager just sat in the provided chairs with a beach umbrella over them most of the time. :-) When my teen asked me later how much the tickets were and I told her ($60 a person plus tax, excluding our toddler, who got in free), she said she would have swam more had she known the cost; however, her legs had started to break out a little, probably because her skin is sensitive and the water was very salty there.

We spent about 3.5 hours total at the beach, which was more than enough time. My toddler got to play in the ocean, sand, and on the little playground, swim in the kiddie pool, and painted seashells. Jennifer and Vashti were amazing. We were the only ones signed up for the "Family Beach Escape" package, so my little one had them all to herself.

Reviewed 10 February 2018

If you are looking to listen Caribbean music, dance, and have fun with local people. It's the place to go.

Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

The beach was nice, the chairs were comfortable, but the drinks were over $9.00 each. Lots of vendors selling local wears. Washrooms are available.