Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
TripadvisorUS$350
Riu.com
TravelocityUS$350
Orbitz.comUS$350
Hotels.comUS$350
TraveluroUS$379
Reviews (1 431)
1 431 results
All reviews specialty restaurants calypso bar jerk chicken swim up bar hour bar jerk hut family suite a la cartes entertainment staff nightly entertainment reservation system small resort chairs and umbrellas ocean front atlantis casino other resorts straw market
Selected filters
87 - 92 of 1 431 reviews
Reviewed 15 June 2021 via mobile

Stayed at the Riu Hotel on Paradise Island June 4th -June 8th. I was excited to be there since I’ve stayed at the Riu property in Jamaica a few years ago and it the property availability for dining in restaurants and customer service was great!

The Riu in the Bahamas some areas of the hotel are modern like the hotel lobby and the pool area but there are areas that need updates, like the hotel elevators. There are also 3 elevators but only 2 work. This causing a delay because the volume of people that are staying at the property with only 2 elevators you are literally in a packed elevator stopping at every single floor. It is a 15 story building. Hallway walls floors ceilings need updating! They are dated, dark and dingy!

Secondly, the restaurants are first come first serve! You can’t make a reservation so if you want to dine at one of the restaurants you have to get there 2 hours prior by 4pm and stand on a long line waiting to get in.

I regret not taking a picture of people standing on the restaurant lines. We tried to dine at the Asian restaurant twice at 8pm they told us they were not taking a more customers and that we would need to get there hours earlier. Which was difficult since we are on vacation, and had tourist plans throughout the day and didn’t want to be restricted to a schedule while on vacation!! That’s the point of vacation!

Front desks manager Vanessa and Restaurant Manager. Terell said there’s nothing they can do. Its first come first serve. We suggested it would be best to have a reservation system set for dining at restaurants so that guests who would like to dine at restaurants get the opportunity to try them out.

Lastly they don’t have enough umbrellas for guest at the beach. One of the workers told me they only have 10 umbrellas and he would give me one when someone leaves. This was at 9am .. no umbrellas!

The bartenders are very friendly and the gentleman at the towel booth at the pool area provided good customer service also.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Mauguie
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2021

Dear Mauguie,

Thank you for returning to Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island letting us know about your recent experience.

We regret to learn that this time we have let you down in some areas, and for that we are very sorry. Please accept our deepest apologies for not delivering to your expectations.

In the restaurants, we have considerably reduced the seating capacity in order to apply all the necessary measures in terms of hygiene and safety distances. We will share your thoughts to our General Manager so that it can be taken into account when deciding which reservation system we will be kept in the near future. Your satisfaction is important to us and helps is to better serve our future guests in the future.

It is our hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed 15 June 2021 via mobile

I am here in RIU and writing review. Never coming back this place. Worst place ever. Elevator takes forever. They don’t do room services due to covid. Restaurant need to wait over one hr to get your food. Even though it’s all inclusive, you can only order once plate. Most employees doesn’t want to work here. Service sucks. I don’t even want to give 1 star.

Room tip: Do NOT come here
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank jinnees
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2021

Dear Jinnee,

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback.

The guest service issues you describe are atypical to our high standards for quality, and we are sorry you experienced less than satisfying service during your visit. We do apologize for the inconvenience and the fact that we did not provide a satisfactory stay.

Please be assured that we take your comments to heart. As we are continuously discussing and implementing new ways to improve upon the guest experience at our hotel, we informed the management about this for necessary actions so that we can make sure no future guest experiences the same inconvenience.

We could understand if you might be hesitant to return because of this experience, though we hope to have another chance to impress you in the future.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 14 June 2021

After reading good reviews in March my fiancé and I decided to book the Riu. Mistake. We arrived last Monday and we’re greeted with crappy service and attitudes from the staff. We ordered a drink at the bar and the bartender just turned his back. The food choices at the restaurants are not for anyone with any sort of picky eater in the group or any food allergies. I couldn’t eat at the resorts restaurants and the food at the buffet was practically inedible. We went to Atlantis to have dinner every night. Second, we asked TWO hotel employees where we could rent jet skis and we’re sent to the guys on the beach who put us in their car, offered us drugs, smoked weed in the car while driving us and took us to an essentially abandoned lot where they were dealing drugs and cut our jet ski time short. It was honestly scary. There were some good staff members, Marvin the bellman was awesome but aside from him I can’t say I’d recommend this to anyone. We wanted to leave early. Beaches are beautiful but at what cost!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
RIU Hotels and Resorts, Owner at Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2021

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay went.

Reading your review, we understand how disappointed you must have been. We are so sorry to learn about your experience when our Team works tirelessly to go above and beyond our guests’ expectations.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We appreciate the feedback provided and will certainly speak with our team to find ways to improve the level of service we provide at our hotel.

Again, thank you again for staying with us and we hope for another opportunity to make it up to you in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 June 2021

We’ve vacationed at RIU many times. Our last trip was in April ‘17 prior to the renovation and conversion to adults only property. On this current trip, my wife and I travelled with our two adult sons as a post COVID vacation, birthday celebration and some scuba diving.

Before I begin my review let my just say if you are booking online and the offer includes “resort credits” take a print screen of that page, print it out and bring it with you. We booked two rooms through Expedia which would have resulted in $3600 in resort credits, but neither Expedia or RIU had any record of them. Granted, you can’t spend $3600 in credits at an all-inclusive but it would have covered the spa day for my wife and a massage for me.

The Good.
The renovated pool and patio area are 100% better than before. The old pool was so disgusting I wouldn’t let my family swim in it. The old pool bar looked like it was hastily assembled each morning from scrap materials. The new lap pool was delightful, clean and the perfect temperature. As a rule I never get into a pool with an in-pool bar, but from topside the 2nd pool looked clean and well maintained. In-pool bar was closed due to COVID restrictions which I can understand. The bar on the pool deck was very nice. They added a jerk chicken BBQ stand on the pool deck that was absolutely spectacular. Delicious and easy to go grab lunch without having to dry off / cover up to visit the buffet.

The beach was 1000% better than before. I know it has nothing to do with renovation, but it’s obvious they take much better care of it. No litter anywhere and an abundance of chairs and umbrellas were available.

Restaurants were pretty much the same. The buffet was strange because you had to wait for someone to serve you - again COVID restrictions. Good food, great service. I see all the reviews complaining about having to line up for the theme restaurants and I don’t get it. People were waiting outside the doors 1.5 hours prior to opening. Why? We went for dinner at 7:30 and got seated immediately.

The rooms are clean, house keeping is top notch. The overall appearance of the property is excellent.

The Bad
The nightclub. Old RIU had a fun sports bar with plenty of TV’s and games. New RIU has a cheesy nightclub that resembles a really bad Bar Rescue episode. Maybe I’m showing my age, but I wasn’t a fan. They also got rid of the lobby bar, so the only evening option for a drink was cheesy nightclub.

One of the three elevators was down. Based on other reviews I can assume this elevator has been out of commission for at least a couple months.
I know the supply chain in our post COVID world is stretched, but this seems a little excessive.

The pillows are way too small.

The blasting of hip-hop music from noon to 6:00 pm at the pool is a little much, again I’m probably showing my age. Toss in a little southern rock and Fleetwood Mac for us gomers to enjoy.

The UGLY
Saturday morning from hell. We woke up to no running water. Um, hello?! That’s kind of important to bathe and, um, go to the bathroom. My wife and I decided to grab breakfast and on the way back to the room learned that all three elevators were out of commission. That 11 floor stair climb wearing flip-flops was a lot of fun… Fire alarm testing also took place. Thank gad we had a dive excursion scheduled for that afternoon and got out of there. When we returned around 7 pm everything was back to normal.

The Verdict
In summary the RIU is a good value, great staff and has a great location. But - not sure we’ll return as it seems they are targeting a younger client base than us 50-somethings.

1  Thank ItsMeWilly
Reviewed 14 June 2021

Great all-around. The only issue we had was that we were unable to take a nap in the afternoon because of the party music that plays daily by the pool, but they do shut it off in the evening/night. Even with doors and balcony door closed, you can still hear the music playing. It was more of a party-setting.

Date of stay: May 2021
Review collected in partnership with riu.com