3 people have started booking this hotel
Free cancellation until 21/10/03
Riu.com
US$350
Free cancellation until 21/10/03
Reserve now, pay at stay
Traveluro
US$325
Hotels.comUS$350
TravelocityUS$350
Orbitz.comUS$350
Reviews (1 430)
1 430 results
All reviews specialty restaurants calypso bar jerk chicken swim up bar hour bar jerk hut family suite a la cartes entertainment staff nightly entertainment reservation system small resort chairs and umbrellas ocean front atlantis casino other resorts straw market
Selected filters
855 - 860 of 1 430 reviews
Reviewed 28 September 2018

This was our second trip to this Riu - the first time was before the renovation. My wife and I enjoyed the premises previously and felt it was worth checking out the improvements.
PROS:
The food is good - believe it or not, I prefer the buffet over the restaurants.
The lobby is totally revamped - thank god the red velvet decor is history. It's got some kind of a motif I can't quite place, but it is still an improvement.
The pool space is doubled with an additional infinity pool facing the beach. Another plus.
The stage area is better than the previous one (that had the red velvet)
The service all-around is still very efficient. In the dining areas they are friendly and give off good vibes. In the halls and lobby there are always workers about, doing their thing.
The Bell Staff was helpful as well - a quick 'shout out' to Marvin, always says Hello and a pleasure to talk to.
Housekeeping was also efficient - not a bad word to say there either.
CONS:
Cranky Front Desk, and it seems like the Concierge is never at the desk.
That hawkers on the beach can be a pain, but they go away quickly. The problem is the amount of them.
The Sports Bar is gone, replaced by a what appears to be a 24 hour Dance Club that doubles as the entertainment stage with the aid of a retractable wall. Personally, I miss the more informal space with the pool tables, etc. as it is now very Disco-ey. There is nowhere to unwind at the end of the night.
Not enough live music. We're in the islands. They should play that aspect up more with Reggae, etc. that is pretty much non-existent. Poolside DJ's stick to the HipHop and the like. I hear enough of that stuff at home.
SUM UP:
This has got to be the smallest Riu in their chain, so don't expect a compound like in Mexico. Luckily Atlantis is literally steps away so there's somewhere else to go if you get wiggy.
TIP these people. They never have their hands out but that couple of bucks will mean more to them than to you. They work hard, top to bottom.
We've been here twice. Good chance there will be a third.

Room tip: Pool view is better than the opposite side
2  Thank LLongshot
Reviewed 28 September 2018

I was a little disappointed in the Hotel Riu Palace. The resort is clean and the rooms are nice, however some of the staff were not very friendly - except for the front desk - they were amazing and went the extra mile when we asked questions. They need to change the way the specialty restaurants are run - if you don't stand in line at 6:30 to get your time to have dinner, you may not get into the restaurant. They also are closed on certain nights. They need to take reservations. The acoustics in the Japanese restaurant were very poor - there was a very loud group in the restaurant that disturbed everyone - the staff eventually had to ask them to leave. Food was OK - nothing to rave about - the Hindu restaurant is the best! There is really nothing to do there at night - there is only one bar and the show there at night is not very good. The resort is next to Atlantis but they closed the building closest to Riu so you cannot get access to the Atlantis resort unless you walk all the way around a long long block or pay $10 each way for a taxi.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2018

Dear Terri M,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor, and also for choosing one of our hotels to spend your vacations and anniversary.

Thank you for highlighting our rooms, cleanliness and our front desk staff. We are also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Hindu restaurant.

However, we regret to learn that you were not impressed by all our staff. For us the customer service is vital, and it is disappointing to hear that you left our resort thinking otherwise.

Regarding the reservation system, I will forward your comment to our management team to follow up and make necessary changes if needed.

Thank you again for taking time to let us know about your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

With our best wishes we remain,

Online Reputation Manager
Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island

Reviewed 27 September 2018

This is my first time at Riu Palace Paradise Island since it was renovated. Very nice and new and everything clean and shiny. I was disappointed they took out the Lobby Bar as that is always a must for me. However they do have a nice Coffee bar in the Lobby called Cappuccinos. It's only only from 10am to 11pm though. Wish it was open earlier for our morning coffee. The rooms are beautiful, we had an oceanview. Pillows could be better. Beds are very comfy and they supply bathrobes!! Bonus!
Beach is FANTASTIC and you won't find a complaint about that! They should have an extra shower near the beach to use to get back up to the resort. The only one they have gets crowded sometimes.
The food is good, restaurants are nice, except they don't have a outdoor area in the Buffet. There is a little "smoking area", and it's good as long as no smokers are in it!
I also wish they would switch to re-usable plastic cups because they only offer the little cheaper throw-away cups at the beach bar and swimup bar. P.S. Swimup bar was a lot of fun!!
All in all, a wonderful trip with my friends.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2018

I stayed at the Riu Paradise Island 9/21-9/25 2018 in a Junior Suite Superior Ocean view. The room was spacious and very clean with a balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean and the pools. I had read some of the reviews prior to booking and was apprehensive but now that I've been there I'm not sure if those reviewers were even at the same hotel.
1. Yes the lobby has what some mentioned was a sewage smell but it seems more to come from the humidity and is not noticeable after the initial entrance.
2. This hotel is extremely clean and the staff cleans continuously throughout the day so I'm not sure why others complained about the cleanliness.
3. The staff was friendly and helpful. It has been my experience you are treated the way you treat others so maybe that was their issue.
4. The food was so good, I don't like buffets in general but theirs was exceptional quality and selection. The specialty restaurants were okay, if you go by 6:15 to wait you get seated so I didn't find this to be an issue.
5. The spa was fantastic!! I had a massage and a body wrap/massage and both were wonderful.
I'm already planning my return visit.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2018

This past week end we were on a 3 day cruise from Port Canaveral to Nassau. Being Floridians, not having to pay for airfare or major travel to the ports, it's rather inexpensive to travel to the Bahamas. We've been to Nassau quite a few times. We've done excursions. We've been to the public beaches. We wanted something different this time.Something relaxing and easy that was all about the beach. We wanted to relax with out being hassled by locals trying to sell us stuff. i started googling what i was looking for and it brought me to trip advisor. I found resorts that, for one price, lets one use their facilities for the day. when i saw the pics of RIU's infinity pool, i was hooked. i read the reviews and decided to try it! Sent an $80 deposit to the company.

There were four of us. it's $120 USD per person, less the deposit. We took a cab from the port. It was $4 per person We arrived at Riu around 1PM as our ship didnt arrive til noon. Check in was smooth and easy. i paid the balance with my card. They then gave each of us a wristband. It was good from 10AM til 5PM. We were then free to enjoy Located directly on the beach on Paradise Island, adjacent to the Atlantis. They have an awesome Caribbean front location with complimentary chairs and umbrellas. They also had a place to get food, all day! Delicious chicken and pork with sides! We are alcohol drinkers and the rum was flowing all day. Rum Runners! We had a great time and would do it again!

2  Thank mslagel