3 people are viewing this hotel
US$614
US$614
Free cancellation until 21/10/09
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hurb
US$570
PricelineUS$614
Hotels.comUS$614
Orbitz.comUS$614
All reviews mahogany house lyford cay small hotel property offers appointed rooms short drive hotel guests pool area is view of the ocean asian restaurant room service the entire staff private beach shima gym bahamas island
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 July 2021

We just got home to Palm Beach County, FL (where we are spoiled for good beaches....and I also lived in Australia for 7-years and California for 4-years)....so believe me when I tell you, the private beach (Old Fort Bay Beach Club) that you get free and easy access to, is one of the greatest beaches in the world (assuming you're not there to surf) and officially our favorite beach in the world now! I should also point out that I very rarely write reviews despite being an avid traveller, but The Island House is truly special, and the staff so amazing, that I just felt compelled to write the review tonight before I go back to the rat race tomorrow and forget. Also, the last review here from 'bignb' is 100% on point.
Upon arrival, it was my wife's Birthday, and I asked if there was anything like a private dining experience that could be arranged at the hotel or beach. The front desk didn't believe so, but told me they would call JT who runs Food & Beverage for the hotel and their two restaurants. JT quickly took my contact details and told me he would make a couple of calls and let me know if the beach was going to be possible. The next morning I woke up to confirmation via Whatsapp messages (which kept it a surprise from my wife), and JT proceeded to arrange the most amazing private dining experience for us the next night, down at the Old Fort Bay Club, right on the sand for sunset.
My wife and I are foodies, and I'm admittedly a coffee snob, and every single meal we had was top notch, and so were the cocktails! Breakfast and lunch always so good (the coffee amazing), and the Thai food at Shima is the best I've had anywhere in the Americas, since I left Sydney (which prides itself on Asian Fusion). My wife is 20-weeks pregnant and got a massage that she was raving about from the Spa. The rooms are also very spa-like, and spacious, and because the hotel is only 6-years old, everything is very modern and you can tell that no expense was spared when building this place. We had our 3-year old son with us also, and I would highly recommend the hotel for families also. It's hard to describe, but it's the perfect combination of peaceful and trendy! Not sure what else to point out. James the manager does rapid Covid tests every morning @ 10am for re-entry back into the U.S, which was really convenient. The hotel also arranged a trip the Exumas for us that had been on our bucket-list for a while and it was terrific.
I've been lucky enough to stay at many 4 & 5-star hotels (for work and pleasure) and it's only a matter of time before The Island House is upgraded to 5-stars IMHO. No idea how it hasn't been already tbh. We will be back! Many thanks to James, JT, Kent and all the team!

1  Thank 832barryh
James Wyndham, General Manager at The Island House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thanks Barry for the lovely feedback! It was a pleasure to meet you and I am happy to hear we were able to wow you and your wife with our service and lovely ambiance. Awaiting your return... James W.

Reviewed 7 July 2021

My wife and I just left The Island House (TIH) after 5 days there and WOW! All around top notch. We have been fortunate to spend time in some amazing places around the world, and TIH is right up there with our favorites (which also include Guana Island BVI, Vahine Private Island FP, and the Remote Resort Fiji).

Rooms: The Suites and Jr Suites are poolside which also makes them very convenient to everything else including the gym, coffeehouse, and Shima restaurant. Absolutely nothing to complain about regarding the rooms. Bedding was great, and the indoor shower was so nice that my wife, who normally LOVES outdoor showers, used the indoor one the entire stay.

Food: We now have food babies, or at least our bellies look like it. The food was GREAT. Breakfast at the Coffeehouse was always excellent. We had a variety of items including the chocolate chip pancakes, bagel with lox, Farmer's breakfast, etc, and all were excellent. The coffee was very good too.
Shima is an Asian themed restaurant that serves good sushi (get the Tuna with crispy rice), curries, noodles, and other dishes. For lunch, the Poke bowl and salmon bowl were excellent.
Mahogany house is Italian with great pasta and remarkably good pizza. The goat cheese/fig pizza was a hit as was the truffle pasta.
Mahogany Store: Sells items for use in your room including basic groceries, sundries, etc. They also sell homemade gelato, wine, and beer.

Service: All around excellent.

Gym: Quite good. Small, but it has everything you need including 2 Pelotons (bring your shoes).

Spa: Very nice! The Signature Treatment is a few dollars more than the standard treatment, but totally worth it. It includes some fancy reflexology stuff and other items that my wife loved.

Pool: Very nice. Good service during the day and quiet overall. Temperature was good and not cold as described in some other reviews.

BEACH: I capitalized this because the beach was amazing. For the beach, the hotel takes you in the awesome London taxi to the Old Fort Bay Club and the BEST BEACH in Nassau. You can get food and drinks there, and the fish seem to like to eat any left over bread that might fall out of your hands into the water. The hamburger is fantastic (and I am wearing an In'n'Out t-shirt while I write this, so you know I love a good burger). We ended up going there everyday.

The hotel is suitable for couples or families. There is also a decent number of locals who come for meals at the hotel, so make sure you make reservations for dinner especially at Shima on Fridays and Saturdays.

There is no room service, but you can do take out from the restaurants.

Overall, a wonderful experience.

Room tip: The Jr Suites and Suites are next to the pool and in a great location
Date of stay: July 2021

Thank you very much for the kind review. Your recommendation means a lot to us. Hope to welcome you back soon to our little corner of paradise. James W, General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2021 via mobile

My husband and I left the Atlantis hotel after a family visit to spend three nights alone at The Island Hotel. We immediately breathed a sigh of relief after arriving at the hotel-- everything from the warm welcome, to the beautiful grounds, to the excellent food is polar opposite of the subpar experience at the Atlantis. We surely will be coming back and will be eager to enjoy another meal at Shima, the food there is excellent!

Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
James Wyndham, General Manager at The Island House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2021

Thank you very much for the kind review. Your recommendation means a lot to us. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2021 via mobile

We came to The Island House for a girls weekend to celebrate one of our birthdays with high expectations and were not disappointed. The Island House is a hidden gem on the western side of New Providence nestled between 2 of the most elegant neighborhoods, Lyford Cay and Old Fort Bay. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by the staff and made to feel at home. The hotel is understated and super elegant with a contemporary feel from the Dedon Furniture on the terrace to the gorgeous spa like bathrooms with freestanding tubs and the Bamford Spa, the infinity pool is enormous. The service was second to none, the food excellent in both Mahogany House and Shima. The cocktails even better!
They have an arrangement with the beach club at the Old Fort Bay Club and will take you there in the hotel English taxi. This is not to be missed - we had a fantastic day ! James we congratulate you and your team, don’t change anything!!! We are looking at dates to come back.
Michelle and Laura

Date of stay: June 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
James Wyndham, General Manager at The Island House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2021

Thank you ladies for the kind words and we can't wait to have you back with us.

Reviewed 21 June 2021

We were looking for a place affording easy access to the states. We decided on Nassau, but were looking for a place that was not a "resort," with a more chill vibe than you'd find at the Atlantis, Baha Mar, etc... The Island House was our perfect antidote to being sequestered in our NYC apartment for 14 months. From the exceptionally lovely staff, to the beautifully appointed rooms, to the fantastic onsite restaurants, we couldn't have asked for more. The beach is a bit down the road, but the hotel offers a free shuttle to and from whenever the mood strikes. We will definitely be back.

Date of stay: June 2021

We enjoyed having you and await your return.