Royal West Indies Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Caribbean Paradise Inn(Providenciales)
View Hotel
The Oasis at Grace Bay(Providenciales)
Grace Bay Club(Providenciales)
Villa del Mar(Providenciales)
Ocean Club West(Providenciales)
View Hotel
Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos(Grace Bay)
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Club Resort(Providenciales)
The Tuscany(Providenciales)
Reviews (2 053)
2 053 results
1 148
1 148
All reviewsquiet poolpelican bay restaurantbotanical viewmango reefcoco bistroocean viewgrocery storegrace baywasher and dryerquiet zonefull kitchenrented a carstayed in buildingthird floorbeautiful beachbreakfast and lunchcoral gardens
FilterAll languages
7 - 12 of 2 053 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

When I first arrived at Royal West Indies I felt right at home and knew I would come back. That was 13 years ago and I have been back many times to this beautifully manicured and landscaped 5 acre low rise resort on Grace Bay Beach. It is on the nicest widest part of the world’s best beach (as ranked by TripAdvisor) with great plentiful beach lounges and umbrellas for guest use. The pools are beautiful and the quiet pool with its hot tub and waterfall is the place to be. Pelican Bay Restaurant and Bar has great staff, service and food. The bar area has 2 for 1 Happy Hour every day from 5 to 7 PM. Internet is free and works all over. Recent renovations make it look new and fresh in the living units and the pools. Everybody is friendly so you will feel like you have found a new family and want to keep coming back.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank John B
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The Royal West Indies Resort was absolutely wonderful! On a very quiet and pretty stretch of Grace Bay Beach! The staff at check in were great and they had everything ready so, check in was a breeze! Onecia was so helpful and gave us many pointers for this being our first visit to TCI! We reserved an oceanfront studio and it was so spacious and the view from our balcony was spectacular!! We would definitely come back. Loved the quiet location! (There are no elevators so you need to keep that in mind) We were on the third floor and loved it!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cheryl P
Reviewed 18 March 2018

If I could give this place a negative star, I would. I stayed here March 15th through March 21, 2018, and had the worst experience that I have ever had in the Caribbean. Before I booked this hotel, I skipped those less expensive that included breakfast such as the nearby Villa del Mar, because I called and asked whether they would deliver coffee to the room in the morning. They said that they would do so to accommodate their guests. So, I booked my stay.

I arrived from NYC at 1:00 p.m. and was told that since check-in is at 3:00, my room wasn’t ready. I was offered a drink of canned juice in a plastic cup, and told to wait at the restaurant (the lobby has one chair that was occupied). I wasn’t hungry and didn’t want to sit at an establishment where I wasn’t ordering anything. So, I went to the pool area. The chaise cushions are filthy, stained with sun lotion and God knows what else. Also, at that time of day, there was little shade. So, I sat on the ground under a gazebo and waited. After an hour and a half, at 2:30, I went back to the front desk. Still, the room wasn’t ready. The woman kept parroting that check-in was at 3:00. So, the fact that the guest had already arrived, had been traveling since 6:00 a.m., and had waited for an hour and a half in the heat, didn’t make any difference to this hospitality establishment. It certainly didn’t make cleaning that particular room a priority. I waited in the lobby an additional 15 minutes. Finally, the woman at the front desk deigned to check me in and give me a room key. The porter arrived and we started our trek to the room. The key he used didn’t work at the first door. He tried a second room; again, the key didn’t work. He tried a third room, and when the key didn’t work again, he got a member of the housekeeping staff to open the door to a room that was already occupied with the guests inside. At that point, I asked him to re-check the correct room number with the front desk. Since walkie-talkies or cell phones don’t seem to be for these kinds of situations, I waited again with my suitcase while he went back to the reception. He returned, seemingly clarified. He opened the door to a room on the ground floor. I had paid for a room with an ocean view. This room faced the ocean, but since it was on the first floor, it actually looked out on the hotel property and the curtains would have to be always drawn as other guests routinely walked by. The front desk tried to claim that the room had an ocean view because it faced the ocean. The only people on earth more dishonest about views are NYC real estate brokers. That was when I was going to ask for my money back and leave the hotel. Only then they gave me a room with a distant glimpse of the ocean.

The first day I ordered coffee from the restaurant, they told me they didn’t deliver. When I explained that prior to arrival I had expressly called and asked, and had chosen their place as opposed to a less expensive one with included breakfast like Villa del Mar, solely because they offered this service, they brought up the coffee. It cost $10 and change and included service charge. I tipped the waiter $2 on top as it made a 20% tip.The man seemed to think that was too little. The next day, they refused to deliver the coffee. When I went down to fetch it myself, the restaurant was very quiet and the staff was just standing around.

Later that day, when I ordered a drink at the bar, I was told that the only thing made with fresh ingredients is the lemonade. I asked for a shot of gin in it, and paid $8 for an overly sweet, weak drink. The second day, when I ordered the drink, I asked for very little sugar. I was given a nice drink, this time for $9.76, and figured the extra must have been for the slice of orange I asked the waiter to put in. The next time, I ordered the same drink, the waiter tried to charge me $12.20. Upon protest, I was told the lesser price had been a mistake. He did correct the bill. Still, the experience created a feeling of distrust. If you don't watch it, they will cheat you.

I should have known from the unimaginative name of the place. This hotel gives you far from the royal treatment. There is no hospitality here; no imagination, and no taking care of their guests. Everything they do is done as if it is a favor rather than their job description; they only have one purpose: to make the most amount of money of you for the least amount of effort. As the island is English speaking, most visitors are middle class Americans and Canadians. I feel sorry for us. For $400 a night, one has a right to expect a little more service, not be lied to, and not be cheated. I have been to many Caribbean islands—St. Barts, St. Croix, Puerto Rico, Anguilla, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Bahamas, St. Martin—I have stayed at super expensive resorts such as La Samanna in Dominican Republic and the Cove at Atlantis, and at quaint hotels like L’Esplanade in St. Martin, and I have never had the sense that I was being taken advantage of at every turn like I had at this place. The staff is lazy, dishonest, and unfriendly. I highly recommend staying away. If you go, keep your expectations very low, and be prepared to be used as the ugly North American with a wad of cash that they will do their damnest to part you with.

Room Tip: Make sure if you pay for an ocean view it isn't on the first floor and you can actually see the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
23  Thank smir5864
Jeffrey B, General Manager at Royal West Indies Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Smir5864,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We take your subjective comments very seriously as they will be reviewed with our management team & staff for any corrective action.

Royal West Indies prides itself on providing quality service for nearly 20 years and we were somewhat very surprised by these comments and the fact that they were never brought to our attention while you were here on vacation. It's always better for a resort or hotel property management to try and correct any issues while the guest is on property.

Again, thank your for the comments & we look forward to you possibly returning to the island. We wish you all the best with your future travels.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

This was our 4th stay at our home in Paradise. We absolutely love this resort, it is our comfort zone!

ROOM: We once again rented directly from the owner so cannot comment on the room itself. My recommendation is to stay in Building 1 as it the only ocean front building and has the best water views.

GROUNDS AND POOL: Everything is just as beautiful as we remembered, you would never know that two hurricanes made their appearance here this fall. New roofs have been put on all the buildings. Although we did not use them, the pools look gorgeous with their new tile, which was in the plans pre-hurricane. A big shout out to Eddie and the beach/pool staff. They are very hard working and are very underappreciated. Please don't forget to tip them during your stay.

BAR/RESTAURANT: Although Pelican Bay is not owned by RWI, it is a huge plus to this property. The famous happy hour everday from 5:00- 7:00 is not to be missed. The bartenders, Premy, Markenson, O'Neal, Sugar and still our favorite, Y-Jay, make it great. We always eat several meals here during our stay and love the food here.

BEACH: The crown jewel is of course the expansive beach front of RWI.A great entry to that awesome turquoise water. Just take a trip down to the west end of Grace Bay and it will not take you long to see that it is huge compared to narrow ones on that end. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas to go around. Y-Jay provides beach service for a couple hours in the afternoon, most days and we appreciated that.

COMMENTS: We did see a lot more kids here this year than we have during previous visits. Not sure if that was due to some destinations not being ready post hurricane or just the trend. If you are looking for a full service resort, with a concierge to make all your reservations and to be waited on and pampered, keep looking. If you are looking for a great boutique style resort with awesome on-site small restaurant that provides for a great self catering, peaceful vacation, RWI is the place for you! We will be back next year!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank partyingramma
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

This resort was conveniently located, close to coco bistro and a small casino. It is known for its happy hour at the bar btwn 5-7 - 2 for 1 drinks. Loved the kitchen and laundry machines! As our honeymoon welcome they also gave complime tart champagne. If you are in the walking mood you can walk to the local grocery store (about 10 -15 min) or take a $10 cab ride (I realized that the drivers sometimes add their own top to $12). Everyone is so friendly. Rooms were clean and the balcony was awesome. The landscaping is pretty, the food at the restaurant is yummy (try the fish tacos), and the beach is righy there. Great rooms for the price. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple