“Great find”

Bread and Chocolate Vegan Bistro
Ranked #2 of 124 Restaurants in George Town
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Modern. Responsible. Delicious. Bread and Chocolate is the first full-service vegan restaurant in the Cayman Islands providing healthy all-day breakfast and lunch alternatives for health-conscious and eco-conscious diners. All breads, desserts, sauces etc. Are made in house. Organic and local produce featured where and whenever possible. Located in the centre of the financial district of George Town. Parking is very limited so plan for a short walk from your car if you drive any day other than Saturday (loads of street parking available on weekends). Bus terminal is next door so it is strongly encouraged to take one of the municipal "buses" which are, for the most part, mini-vans with stickers on them - the EE (East End) bus is more of the typical style bus. Taking the bus is greatly encouraged since it's better for the environment, way cheaper than a cab and is a unique experience on it's own. Some pay parking available at the Town Centre Plaza on Albert Panton Street and behind Bayshore Mall. Table service and take out available. Open Monday through Friday from 8 a.M. To 4 p.M., Saturdays, Sundays and most public holidays from 9 a.M. To 2 p.M.
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Wish I found this place earlier. It’s right next to the main bus station in George Town so we stopped by before returning to the hotel. Unfortunately they were not serving lunch at that time so my husband got a salad and I got the vegan cheesecake which was very good. Will definitely stop for lunch next time we go.

RenoAgata, Owner at Bread and Chocolate Vegan Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time for this favourable review. Hope to see you next time!

Agata and Reno.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

I have eaten many times at Bread and Chocolate. They put love into there food, each mouthful is delicious with flavour. If they are tying to convert people they have won me over. From grilled cheese sandwiches with no cheese to salted caramel brownie with no dairy products but tastes as good if not better than a regular brownie. I wish I could have hem deliver .... but don’t think it will be good by the time it gets to the UK. Sorry no pics as food doesn’t last long enough to take pictures...love Bread and Chocolate.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for the super-awesome review!

Reno and Agata

Reviewed 4 March 2018

We stopped in after a visit to botanical gardens by bus. Don't miss the gardens and their blue iguanas. Our grilled cheese sandwiches were very slow to arrive. Since we are gluten free and dairy free the sandwiches were made with prepackaged bread that was dry and stiff and was supposed to have walnut cheese but it tasted like hummus. We had 2 juices , 2 sandwiches, and shared a brownie for $38 US. Service at our table was so slow that I waiting in line at the register to pay. Try the gluten free crepes at the mall on the waterfront for a gluten free treat.

Hi Michael,

We are sorry to hear you had a less than favourable experience recently at our store. You are correct that the Gluten Free bread we use is not baked in house. We do bake all of our breads, make all of our desserts, sauces etc. from scratch but have never been pleased with a GF Bread recipe worthy of our name. So instead we try to bring in the best possible prepackaged GF Bread available to provide guests who really want a GF sandwich (despite the typical let down of GF bread) but don't really promote it much since it simply cannot compare to our house breads. It also sounds to me like you received our Happy Tuna Salad sandwich which is a garbanzo bean salad so there is a very good chance we also got your order totally wrong. Very sorry about that. Our cheese is actually made from raw cashews and is delightful. In terms of our pricing you will find it is in line with most decent restaurants on island simply because 98% of all products used are shipped in with a hefty duty slapped on so our basic costs are considerably higher than what you would experience in the US or Canada for example. Lastly I really cannot excuse the slow service. I don't know if we were particularly busy or whatever but it is unacceptable.

I would like to invite you to return where I would encourage you to select an item from our new "Gluten Free? Naturally" menu that has a number of wonderful GF meal options. It would also be my pleasure to receive you if you do decide to give us a chance so I can personally make sure everything is right this time round. Please message me if you do plan on returning and I will do my best to provide you with the experience you expected.

Regards,
Reno Ciantar.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

Absolutely loved this gorgeous, quaint, charming little bistro! We ordered the Signature Dish,on our first visit, and on another visit, had an 'All Day Breakfast' and the Burger. Hubby and I barely spoke whilst eating! It's a beautifully clean, fresh and calming interior, and for vegan's a 'haven' in GC. For this eatery alone, I would holiday all the way from the UK again! The food is lovingly prepared, and nothing has DIED to get on your plate. What's not to love!? I felt like a weeble when I left, but vegan food doesn't leave you bloated, and it was just that wonderful 'satiated' feeling. The brownies which I took away to the villa didn't last long!!!

1  Thank RescuedVegan

More vegans YAY!!!! Thank you so much for supporting us and we are super thrilled you enjoyed your experience. Hope to see you again soon!

Reno and Agata

Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

We ordered for takeout their signature Bread & Chocolate French toast and was disappointed. It took 30 minutes to get our order, and it tasted dry and bland. There was fresh fruit toppings that helped a bit, but didn’t save the dish. The staff was friendly and offered us water and seating while we waited. Parking was a bit of a challenge as only street parking was available.

Hi Auden,

Thank you for the review. Very surprisingly your less than favourable review is the second we have received recently regarding our french toast. We typically have the highest of standards and press on our Chef the importance of consistency however we have had a number of new hires recently and it is my fear that during the period of transition one or two hiccups have occurred along the way but now that our new staff are up to speed it is our expectation that food quality issues will be minimized. I'm not sure if you brought the matter to the attention of your server but if there is any way you would consider giving us a second chance it would be my pleasure to assist you personally as our guest.

Kindest Regards,