Lowest prices for your stay
US$384
View deal
StayForLong
All reviews outdoor shower all inclusive package new owners jost van dyke every meal boutique hotel island tour our honeymoon main restaurant west end chef bernard apple bay all inclusive plan fish tacos open air road town rental car
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 January 2020

I used to love going to The Sugar Mill Hotel. It had everything – a wonderous location, beautiful rooms, elegant service both at the reception desk and the dining room, excellent fine dining and a great wine list. UNFORTUNATELY MUCH HAS CHANGED. I was ready to accept some changes after IRMA. However, I am not willing to accept the changes that I found on my last, perhaps final visit, to The Sugar Mill. The new owners have let the “elegance” of the resort rot. No longer is there a welcoming reception. No longer is there a fine dining experience with great food and exceptional wine and formal table service. Comparing my many visits in the past twenty-five years, I was utterly disappointed – actually dismayed. This could be so much better- so much more wonderful. The location hasn’t changed. It is still singular. The rooms are still extraordinary. But the ambience of the resort has suffered. The culture has changed. I can no longer recommend this hotel to my friends. It is sad.

Room tip: Rooms 142 and 143 are the best
3  Thank wjurewitz
Reviewed 29 December 2019

The island of Tortola was hit hard by hurricane Irma on September 6, 2017 with 1-minute sustained winds of 180 mph. The west end has recovered about 75%, but it is hard to get an exact number. The island is in a perpetual construction, remodeling, or expansion mode. Some of the businesses are back and some were literally blown away. The Sugar Mill Hotel was purchased by new owners in 2016 and remodeled. It sustained a lot of damage from the hurricane and was closed till early in 2019 for repairs and remodeling. The number of abandoned vehicles is amazingly large

The location is FANTASTIC, just a few feet from the beach/ocean on the west end, north side of the island. The view includes the island of Jost Van Dyke about eight miles away. The on-site husband and wife managers, Rupert and Andrea Starkey have histories of site management in the islands and are among the BEST. They are very knowledgeable, available and approachable. They and their entire staff provide great communication and service.

We have been vacationing on Tortola’s west end for more than 30 years. As a personal observation, we believe that the influx of cruise boat passengers is detrimental and has contributed to the decline of the island’s charm. Tortola was a very enjoyable, well-managed, laid back island in the 1990’s. It was easy to drive to Road Town for dinner or shopping. There was little traffic to deal with and parking was always easy. After the advent of cruise ships, before and after the hurricanes it was/is crowded, has traffic issues and has lost its charm, especially the Road Town area. Nine cruise ships were scheduled at Road Town between 12/22/19 and 12/26/19, but we note that there two tied up on 12/25/19 with only one scheduled.

On this trip we stayed on both St John and Tortola. Both were hard hit by hurricane Irma. The hurricane exacerbated a serious problem on both islands – abandoned vehicles. There are MANY cars and boats to be found anywhere and everywhere on both islands. For example; there is a car parked in one lane of a two lane road on Tortola with flat tires and NO engine. There are laws and active programs on both islands to identify and remove these vehicles that predate and have been added to by the hurricane. Hopefully they will receive a high enough priority to eventually make a substantial difference.

Room tip: 144 and 143 have fantastic views
4  Thank djbfreedom
Reviewed 28 December 2019

My husband and I just recently returned home from our honeymoon @ The Sugar Mill. If you are looking for a place to relax, unwind, feast and enjoy libations this is the place! The staff is incredible and the managers Rupert and Andrea go above and beyond to make your stay the perfect one! Your stomach will thank you for treating it to the amazing dishes that the Chefs cook up! Tramonti, the beachside bar/restaurant not only has amazing views, but amazing cuisine as well! Don’t forget to shake hands with all the staff as they treat you as one of the locals! A must place to stay on the Island of Tortola! We will be back and are already looking forward to our return!

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank D6696IVsarahw
Reviewed 27 November 2019

If you are searching for that special, laid-back spot in the Caribbean, no glitz, no real nightlife, just great food, fantastic, personal service and a really unique small [24 units] boutique hotel, The Sugar Mill on Tortola's north shore is the best. My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful week, hosted by owners Dennis and Mary, along with managers Rupert and Andrea. They and their whole staff are terrific people who simply cannot do enough to see that each quest is comfortable and happy. I recommend the 7-day, all-inclusive package, which includes, on top of food and beverages, a full day sailing trip and a round the island tour delivered by Dennis or Rupert. The Sugar Mill is outside of town, close enough to access by cab or rental car but far enough away for peace serenity. There is a top notch main dining room, serving the best food in the Caribbean, as well as the Tramonti Beach Bar and restaurant, serving great drinks and lighter fare.
Casual, unique, personal and the best of it all...that is the Sugar Mill. By day two, I had booked our return visit. You won't find a place like this, at very, very reasonable prices, anywhere in the islands!

Date of stay: November 2019
5  Thank William H
Reviewed 30 July 2019

My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at the Sugar Mill Hotel by recommitting our wedding vows. We chose the Sugar Mill as we had spent our honeymoon here in 1994 after being married on the S/V Flying Cloud. Mary made everything happen perfectly with a local Pastor and a beautiful flower arrangement.

They are still making improvements from the hurricane damage, and the new units are very comfortable with nice views of Apple Bay. The staff makes this hotel outstanding for friendliness and humor. Although we did not do the All Inclusive Option, we ate all our meals here because the menu is to die for!

All-in-all, this is definitely the place to stay whilst in Tortola. We will be back. Larry & Kelly, Georgetown, Texas.

Room tip: They are all Excellent
Date of stay: July 2019