“Great challenge let down by guide”

Gros Piton Nature Trail
Ranked #9 of 19 things to do in Soufriere
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Hiked to the Top of Gros Piton. There are stops 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 the way up. It was raining lightly making the trail slippery. Th trail is about a mile long but 2000 feet in elevation. Think very steep stairs. The third section was the hardest for me. Round trip was 4 1/2 hours. We got a tour from Anse Chastanet which included the taxi both ways and breakfast.Left at 6:30. On the trail by 7:15. We didn't see anyone else until coming down at the 3/4 stop. The rain kept the temperatures low but obscured the view. Even when sunny, the top is often cloudy. The trail is mostly a rock scramble. Some big steps, and some small. There are handrails a lot of the way. If you slip and fall you will tumble down 5-10 feet. There is a place to buy snacks and Piton beer at the start and 1/4 up. Going down is the hardest. I walked down like it was stairs without issues. My wife and another woman would sit and slide from level to level Or went down facing the rocks. It was the most strenuous thing i have done since college. Steeper and harder than Nevada Falls and Four Mile trail in Yosemite. Quads were sore the next two days. Hard to go down stairs but snorkeling wasn't affected.

All of the guides we saw along the way were friendly and talkative. Our guide was grumpy and played into my wife's and the other woman's anxiety to try to get us to quit half way up. She also didn't point out any plants or birds along the way. Seemed like she had better places to be.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"climb"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 14 June 2018

Well, I am 47 and run, do martial arts and swim. This hike was not easy, it is do-able, just not easy and will take everything out of you, particularly coming down. Be both physically and mentally prepared. For me, the going up wasn't so bad but coming down was hard on my knees due to having to watch my footing and balance over all the big rocks. Plan on wearing shoes that have good stability and bring plenty of water. Take breaks as needed, no matter how many people pass you by (age is irrelevant, we had a much older couple fly past us!). I'm proud to say my husband and I finished it in about 5 hours - pretty average, they say 4 hours, plan on 5 hours even if you are in shape. If you aren't in shape, I discourage you from even attempting this hike. I suggest doing Tet Paul Nature trail, don't spend your money on this. Also, the ice-cream at the bottom of the hike is really good! Try the soursop.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Holy smokes, let me start off by saying that you should not do this hike unless you are in good health. I consider myself a pretty athletic person and I got my butt kicked. However, it was so rewarding to get to the top and look out over the island. There are lots of good places to take pictures and you can see the Petit Piton as well.

As for the staff of the nature trail, they were very kind and helpful. But as for the guides, I was not impressed. We hiked with a larger group so we had about 4 guides with us. One, Stan, was smoking pot at the top and at other various times throughout the hike, not to mention he was being creepy towards multiple girls in our group (saying he wanted to marry them, etc.). The two women guides with us didn’t even go all the way to the top with us, they stayed at the 3/4 mark and waited until we came back down. Jamal was the only guide I actually liked but you could tell he was ready to get back down because he did not wait for the majority of the group and just went at a fast pace down the piton. At the end of the hike, the guides were speaking in Kweyol and bad-mouthing us about how we took such a long time and how we wanted to spend a little time at the top to take pictures. Joke’s on them because we live here and understand the language. Overall, the hike was fun but I was not impressed with the guides and would want different ones if I ever do the hike again.

2  Thank Emily C
Reviewed 29 May 2018

Gorgeous scenery from rainforests to sea all the way up. Allow at least 4 hours for the roundtrip, wear grippy shoes and carry plenty of water. Strenuous in places, lots of rocks, some boulders, roots, worth every step. Singing birds, beautiful wild plants, so much color and the summit views are amazing. Shane was a terrific, knowledgeable guide. Definitely go with a guide.

1  Thank Robin S
See more reviews
Reviewed 26 May 2018

We arranged our favourite taxi Company to drop us off at the start of the Gros Piton trail and headed off up this well maintained footpath up one of the most famous peaks in the Caribbean.
You're assigned a guide at the Gros Piton trail office and Erroll did a very patient job of helping my wife and I up this mountain. We were one of the slowest up and down the mountain on the day, however were incredibly pleased to have made it to the top and back.
As you hike up, one of the local village dogs (Sprite), follows you up and he made the journey much cuter and less of a slog than it might have been.
Great views are to be had at the different resting points. 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 of the way up the mountain. The incredible vista of the whole south of the island from the main summit was what all the effort was for! On a clear day you can see Martinique!
For us we could just about see the airport due to hazy conditions.

We missed out on the 'north' summit, so will just have to save the view of the Petit piton and the climb of the Petit Piton for next time.

Overall it's a well organised, well maintained trail, with a great knowledgeable local guide to take you up.

$50 USD per person if you arrive at the mountain under your own steam. You pay more if it's an organised tour with an additional (non-trail) guide along for the hike.

1  Thank Steve J