We shared Casa Ladera (upstairs, downstairs and casita) with 3 other families from our kids' school for spring break. The accommodations were excellent - everything was clean and ready for us when we arrived; the property is spacious and very kid (and adult!) friendly. The pool is awesome as is the outdoor grilling and dining area. The property's seven mango trees were even in fruit, so we had our fill of delicious mangos. The owners - Jen and Lauren - were so helpful in making sure we knew what to do and our way around, and in making sure that our stay was comfortable. We rented all 3 of their jeeps to - a must if you plan on visiting the beautiful beaches on Vieques.
Overall, this was an unforgettable vacation. I would stay at Casa Ladera again in a second!
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|
|Families with young children||Families with teenagers|
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
If you're looking for a safe, clean, well-constructed place to stay that is close to everything, this is it! We loved having a washer and dryer; a great convenience for beach towels and such...all the conveniences of home, too!
We stayed for 5 nights or so in the downstairs at Casa Ladera (the property also has an upstairs in the main house, and a separate cottage). It was very spacious, and came with a fully equipped kitchen, washer/dryer, a living room, and two bedrooms. It also included use of the pool/patio and the grill. Honestly, there is so much to do on Vieques that we hardly spent any time in the house - but it was nonetheless a very comfortable stay. There were guests in the upstairs floor at the same time, but we never saw or heard anyone. There is plenty of privacy even in the downstairs, and we were able to enjoy a relaxing, romantic getaway.
- The owners are friendly. Jen picked us up from the airport and drove us to the house, which was wonderful.
- The house is very spacious, and has everything you need (kitchen/laundry). We made many of our own meals here.
- There are things you can borrow to do a day at the beach, free! (cooler, towels, etc)
- The property is not oceanfront, but it is still very scenic. It is quiet, and located in a residential neighborhood. There are a few strange locals about, but overall never felt unsafe. (The property itself is fenced in completely)
- IT COMES WITH A JEEP RENTAL, seriously, if you are on Vieques you need to rent a car, and the rental places are often "booked" at least to vacationers. The owners let you use the car as part of the rental (i'm not sure if one particular car is tied to a particular room). However, you are required to fill it up with gas before you leave, and the one gas station on vieques is a serious pain to go to and use (its very crowded).
- Location - Really, this is the only con, and only if you don't have a car. The house is on the north side of the island, a short drive from the airport. This makes it convenient to go to restaurants/bank/grocery store in town, but means you have to drive across the island to get to the nice beaches. There is a beach a minute walk away, but it is very rocky/small, and the beautiful picturesque beaches are across the island on the south side. Not a huge con, but just be aware you need a car to experience the beaches, and south side/nightlife part of the island.
- It seems a bit pricey - but if you factor in that the jeep rental is included, it is a good deal
At the risk of repeating what so many others have already said, we were wonderfully comfortable at Casa Ladera and would return there in a heartbeat! We stayed in the downstairs unit which has a big poolside patio, very well-appointed eat-in kitchen with new, modern appliances, large livingroom, large master bedroom and a smaller second bedroom. The bathroom never lacked hot water or water pressure -- issues I've encountered elsewhere in my Caribbean (and elsewhere) travels. We appreciated the plentiful big fluffy towels, including beach towels, and because of the very large washer and dryer we could have brought even fewer clothes than we did and kept clean and comfortable. Dependable, free wi-fi access was a plus though, frankly, we were happy to mostly escape from our plugged-in world for the week; but I mention this for those wanting/needing this access. For the couple of times we briefly checked out the so-called real world, the satellite TV was without problems. There is excellent AC throughout the house when needed, and the ceiling fans in every room kept the air moving and fresh -- no stagnant, musty smells that sometimes permeate salt water-side residences.
Correspondence with Jen to make arrangements for our visit was a pleasure -- she was prompt, pleasant, accommodating, patient and helpful with all of our questions.
The extensive collection of travel and other books in the livingroom amassed by Jen and Lauren includes just about every travel guide for both Vieques and Puerto Rico, a wonderful resource.
During the seven nights we were there, the gentleman who maintains the pool came twice and the people who take care of the grounds came once; this is a WELL-maintained property! The pool is large and the plantings are beautiful, a tropical oasis!
The villa is down a quiet residential road close enough to Isabel Segunda and its stores, gas stations, and restaurants as to be most convenient, but far enough "off the beaten path" for a feeling of wonderful privacy.
Because it's only a ten minute drive to the Caribbean side of the island where the best calm swimming beaches are, staying on the Atlantic side was not an issue. Actually, we loved it because Casa Ladera is so close to the ocean that you hear the lovely sound of the waves. Sunset walks on the beach there -- just a moment's walk away down a quiet, empty road -- were wonderful; this is Playa Cofi AKA Sea Glass Beach, so beachcombing for glass "treasure" there, as well as shells, was a treat! Though we didn't snorkel there ourselves (we did snorkel the calm side of Mosquito Pier, as well as several of the Caribbean side beaches), we saw a few others doing so (though seeing anyone else at any of the beaches we visited was actually a wonderfully uncommon occurrence!), so it is certainly a swimmable beach, especially if you enjoy a little wave action.
We appreciated Seth's Vieques airport pick-up and initial orientation as to where the supermercados, colmados (convenience stores), gas stations (very nearby), and restaurants were. Seth was also very helpful in marking snorkeling and other spots of interest for us on an excellent map that he authored (it is one of two that are ubiquitous on the island). Knowing that he was always just a quick call away during the week was very reassuring.
We had a simply fantastic vacation on Vieques not the least because of Casa Ladera!