“Backwater Fishing Charter”

Backwater Fishing Charters Puerto Rico
More attraction details
Owner description: San Juan, PR is home to some of the best tarpon fishing in the world. Light tackle and fly fishing enthusiasts journey to San Juan, PR from all over the world to fish the brackish waters of Laguna San Jose & Laguna Torrecilla for tarpon, jacks, and snook. Gorgeous and seemingly endless red mangroves span the horizon right on the middle of the hotel district, the marina (Cangrejos Yacht Club) is just a mere 3 to 5 mile run from isla verde, condado and old san juan. Making Backwater Tarpon Fishing Puerto Rico, one of the premier fishing charters in San Juan, Puerto Rico come and enjoy a perfect day of light tackle angling. Capt. Felix Cuadrado has been fishing in Puerto Rico in the Laguna San Jose & Laguna Torrecilla, for 20 years. A native of San Juan, PR, there are few fishing guides in Puerto Rico who are as intimately connected with the tides and ecosystem of the lagoons as Felix. On a typical day fishing the backwaters of Puerto Rico’s lagoons, it’s common to have around 5-8 strikes of tarpon, jacks or snook. Backwater fishing for tarpon in San Juan, PR is almost a surreal experience. Backwater fishing in Puerto Rico affords anglers the opportunity to explore endless mangroves of Puerto Rico while targeting several of the most coveted light tackle species. You would be hard pressed to find another backwater fishing destination that affords unparalleled light tackle fishing within 3-6 miles of a major tourist hub. If you’re looking for a tarpon fishing charter in Puerto Rico who will put you on the fish, be sure to give Backwater Tarpon Fishing PR a call to learn more about availability and what’s biting!
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Overall experience was top notch. The communication while setting up the trip was perfect and smooth. We arrived for our morning/half day tarpon trip and our captain (Clery) was already there prepping. Clery was not only extremely knowledgable about fishing he was very pleasant to be around. He went above and beyond and we are still talking about what a great trip it is 3 weeks later with my friends. We caught about 6 tarpon with the largest being 60 pounds. Probably hooked 15 but they are hard to bring in and fight for quite a while. When I go back to PR I will be calling Backwater Charters and requesting Clery. Highly recommend and request Clery!

1  Thank walkerbarber
"puerto rico"
in 25 reviews
"catch fish"

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Very well organized operation. The captain has a peculiar, highly successful approach to securing multiple tarpon strikes: attract the fish instead of going after it. For beginners like me and my grandson, 4 hours was just right -neither too long nor too short. Caught tarpons and jacks. The last tarpon was spectacular, and so was its acrobatics in the air.
Emiliano and Carlos

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Capt Felix is super knowledgeable and knows his business. Turned us on to fish, landed 80+ pounder, ton of action ! Will use again

1  Thank Matthew P
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Captain Clery was very knowledgeable put us on fish, we caught and landed 8 Tarpin, got 8 to the boat. We also caught and landed a double. My wife and I had the best time ever. Captain Clery is awesome really knows what he is doing. He is a lot of fun.Will be booking another one soon.

1  Thank gdupert
See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I like to fish wherever we travel. We were in Puerto Rico for 2 weeks and fishing with Captain Felix and Backwater was our most favorite thing that we did in PR. Captain Felix definitely knew his stuff and had us all equipped for success. He was personable and excited for us to catch tarpon. I’ve caught a lot of fish in a lot of different places, but this was my best catch. I would highly recommend Backwater and Captain Felix! We would travel back to Puerto Rico just to fish with him again! Good company, great guy, awesome fishing!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member