Reviews (3 090)
3 090 results
1 773
1 773
All reviews plunge pool egg boy laser tag kids club water park is kids camp the grill platinum restaurant stacy ann family vacation jade samurai pizza place swim up bar arts and crafts coral cafe life guards feed the fish
204 - 209 of 3 090 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

MY family and I are visiting this resort next month and I have been trying to contact the hotel in regards to making reservations for dinner at Jade and reservations for a massage, even pricing for activities or to see the kids club schedule and can’t seem to get the hotel on the phone. Every number I called was a call center. Finally got in touch with hotel and was given attitude via phone and told to call back a day or two before arrival to make reservatipns for dinner. I emailed Spa and was able to get reservations set. Was transferred to kids club and was told to wait until I get there to receive a schedule. Well I’m a planner and we as a family have spent a lot of money not to be able to plan ahead to figure out how we want to spend our vacation. The website used to have most of this information available but since new management the website has been changed and it’s harder to find things. Once I actually visit the resort I will update my review but so far not good. Thinking about switching resorts if applicable through Delta Vacations. Please Do Better or create a more informative site!

Thanks!

2  Thank Br0wn537
Sheldon D, Social Media Champion at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Dear guest. Please get in touch with us via our Facebook page since contact numbers and Emails are not allowed on this medium.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My family & I have been to Jewel Runaway Bay twice & both times we were not disappointed. The staff is amazing. Housekeeping kept our room very clean. Beverage service always kept our fridge stocked. Our valuables were kept safely in our rooms lock box. The food is delicious with so much to choose from including my jerk chicken nachos at 2:30 am! My children had run of the whole place and I never once felt nervous about letting them run off alone. The nightly entertainment was so cool. When leaving off the resort for any reason they kept track of what room we were in & how many people were leaving. We definitely got our money’s worth this year. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants to visit a family oriented resort. Prepare yourself to fall in love with this place.

4  Thank Mandy H
Sheldon D, Social Media Champion at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Mandy it was great having you and you family with us. We are glad that you had a wonderful time with us. Thank you for your review and we look forward to see you return.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

Like other reviewers, this is not my 1st trip to Jamaica and I have traveled to various islands and stayed at various all-inclusive resorts, (Bahamas, Aruba) so like other say, please know that we each have our own like and dislikes and I’m doing my best to provide you with an accurate review of my families stay at JRB.

We are a family of 4. My kids are 11 (son) & 13 (daughter) and my wife and I are in our late 30’s/early 40’s. We booked the plunge pool room as we like to have privacy at times and like to relax in the pool in the evenings. (Note: all of the pools close @ 6 or 6:30 nightly) We also know having a concierge room is a nicety we do not go without.

Transportation from the airport: The trip is about an hour from the airport and the JTL driver stopped at a “Pit Stop” about ½ way there. We really didn’t care for that and didn’t need to stop for anything as food and drinks were already paid for just a ½ hour away at the resort. LOL I figure the driver or JTL is getting a bonus for bringing tourist there. Some folks seemed to love it so I guess the 20 minute delay was just that… a delay.

1st impressions at JRB:
The resort is clean and you do notice the daily upkeep of the property, as there are grounds keepers about doing work and will even offer you a fresh coconut (water) to drink. I do agree with other reviewers that some of the property is dated and in need of repairs/renovations.

Check-in: When we arrived we were told our room was overbook (we booked it a year ago) and we were “upgraded” to an ocean front concierge room for our 1st night and we’d be moved to our room the next day. (No plunge pool… so to me this is not an upgrade. An upgrade would have been an ocean front plunge pool room, not just a suite). The next day I had to go back to the front desk and walk with the bellman to get our luggage and move it to our other room. The bellman was very good. It was pouring and he kept our luggage dry. But honestly, I don’t think I should have had to do any more than swap room keys. This really broke up our day and limited our ability to do any off-resort excursions.

Room(s): The “upgrade” suite was nowhere as nice as the plunge pool room we were supposed to be in to begin with. The shower heads all didn’t work and door didn’t even close so it left a pool of water on the floor. As for our new room, it was over by the infinity pool and was close to the water park which worked out for our family. The room had a way better shower and the door closed. It had a door to the bathroom and had 2 TV’s and a mini fridge. Like others have said, the AC is not very cool (68F is the lowest you can set it) and after about 10 minutes in the room it’s not very cold. (Especially if you’re sun burnt so thank god for the plunge pool) Overall, the room and location were great!!

Service: I agree with others who found that getting “Service with a smile” was hit or miss. I’d say it was 50/50 at best. Those that stood out to me are Alshane at the pool bar, Ingrid from the Japanese Restaurant & Egg Boy at the breakfast buffet. I would suggest you take a bottle of water with you to breakfast if you go around 8ish or after because getting refills after your 1st fill is a LONG wait. This also goes for all of the restaurants. You get an initial drink and then even if someone comes back to take a drink order, it’s at least 5 to 10 minutes before you get the drink. I could have walked to a bar and got it quicker myself. And I get it; the restaurants do not have their own bar so the wait staff has to juggle table and running to the bar. Seems like there could be a better system. One suggestion would be to have a “beverage station” located within the buffet area with soda, cold milk, juice, water and coffee. (Beyond the smoothie station)

As for housekeeping, they didn’t leave many towels for a family of 4 (ladies like to use 2 at a time) so like other said, we used a lot of pool towels. And if you have a plunge pool make sure you have towels for the night prior to 6pm as there is nowhere to get a dry towel when the pools close. Also, we had a concierge room so you’d think if you used a wine glass you would get a new one the next day… nope. I had to call and request wine glasses daily. Also, since you have sodas and stocked liquor, you’d think you’d get a few beverage cups… nope to that too. We got used to getting a beverage at the bar and bringing the cup back to the room with us.

Restaurants/Buffets: The food was pretty good. We really didn’t like the buffet. We didn’t find many varieties for kids on the buffet, even in the “kids section” however the kids found something at the Platinum restaurant (only place with chicken fingers), the pizzeria (Kids ate a lot of pizza and it was very good) & moonstone grill. (Oh the water park too) We found the food at the “Beach party” terrible. We actually left and went to the only other place open, the pizza place and had a wonderful meal there. I really missed seeing simple things like fried chick, ham, baked chicken and mashed potatoes in the buffet. Also, as others mentioned there is a huge lag between courses and even dessert. I saw people get up and leave vs waiting on dessert.

Breakfast – get there early. Like I said before, getting refills is a long wait. On our last day we had breakfast at 7am and we have wonderful service as it was not crowded. If you do come at peak times, bacon and French toast run out quick. So get it if you can. The French toast is really good.

Bars/Pools/Beach/Water Park – All were very nice. Some of the bartenders were not as friendly as others and this was new to us as other resorts the bartenders were the life of the party! We really loved the beach! Sand is perfect. There were plenty of chairs. No one trying to sell you stuff either out in the ocean or at the beach. Now they did have stands that locals sold items but these were approved by the resort. Overall, we loved the beach and the view! Awesome!! Worth the entire trip!! The bonus was the water park. It was not crowded, it was clean and the kids loved it. Heck, my wife and I did too.

Tipping: The resort allows tipping if “you feel the service went above and beyond expectations” This leads to making you feel like everyone wants a tip and it felt semi awkward at times. I like the other resort policies where there is a no tipping rule. IDK, maybe this could explain some of the poor service we received?

So, sorry for the book… my fleeting thoughts… The resort need some upgrading and needs to work on some of their service issues to be more attentive to guests. But overall, besides the overbooking hiccup starting out our trip with no real attempt to make up for it by the resort, I have to say, I think we’d come back. (I'd rate it 3.5 if it'd let me) Now we know what the faults are and know right away what we like and can mitigate anything we didn’t. (Knowledge is power LOL) All of us loved the location, the beach and the water park. I hope the resort will work on making improvements for future guest and just don’t “thank” me for my feedback and hope to see us again 

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
9  Thank Pensgirl29

Thank you for staying with us Pensgirl29. I do apologise for the issues incurred during check in. Being that reservations is not on sight and issues arises in our system it caused a bit of confusion for the front desk team who did really well give
the circumstances. It was wonderful having you with us and very much appreciated your feedback. I will forward to our management team.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

So I want to be positive and start with the good points of the hotel.
The grounds, beach and restaurants were all fabulous. The gardens were beautiful, well kept and extensive. Lots of little hideaways find and relax in. Very peaceful set back from the road.
The beach was just gorgeous. Plenty of sun beds so need to be up with the lark to get one. Loads of water sporting equipment to hire (free). Local people very friendly and took friends out snorkelling early morning. A fabulous BBQ on the beach one evening and bonfire another. Great for roasting marshmallows!
The restaurants. Plenty of variety in the buffet restaurant. Always something different to try. The speciality restaurants offered a great selection of food. Japanese restaurant food was definitely the favourite this holiday.
Majority of the staff were brilliant. Attentive and keen to engage, especially with the children which is also a boost for the parents. Nastassia, Kishaun and Kavoy on the beach bar was particularly great. Always smiling and a pleasure to see them on the bar.The children’s club was absolutely fantastic. They were welcoming and my youngest children loved it!

The not so good points
When we arrived the service at reception was incredibly slow. I had asked our tour operator to put our 3 rooms close together due to the fact one of my children would be sleeping in with my mother. This appeared to be a big problem when we were booking In to be told that rooms are not guaranteed until you arrive to check in. So you may pay for a sea view room but you may not get it! Which I find a bit odd.
I had read peoples reviews of the hotel being a bit dated and run down however I did not expect it to be that bad. When I arrived I the room the musty smell greeted us. The tiles looked dirty and worn. The mirror was chipped all the way around it. There was no bath, which for a ‘family hotel was a bit of a nightmare as our toddler hated the shower so wash time became very traumatic each night!
The air con is the nosiest I’ve ever encountered and kept us awake. Our friends complained about theirs and they sent someone to fix it and still sounded horrendous.
Although WiFi not a major thing on holiday however it could do with updating. When trying to book trips online etc it kept cutting out which was very frustrating.
When we booked the Caribbean speciality restaurant we were told we could not sit together as a family of 10 as tables were only in either 6 or 8’s. however whilst eating in there they made a couple of larger tables for people. When we returned to the restaurant for our 10th anniversary meal I asked if they could make an exception and put 2 tables together for us to eat together. I was made to think I was asking for the world! However they did do it and again they made larger tables for other people.
To move on to a couple of the reception bar staff. 1 in particular was incredibly rude. If you don’t like your job or can’t force a polite smile for customers then don’t do it!
The water park. Has a great atmosphere however some of the lifeguards just can not be bothered.
It’s great that they have day passes and also school trips for local schools however if you are going to let that amount of children in they need to be managed correctly. They were running wild pushing the smaller children over on their equipment. However when I sent my 9 year old in the look after my 2 year old I was told to get him off. When I explained he was looking after my daughter as the Jamaican kids were pushing her over etc, I was told it was just kids having fun!!
My final and biggest part of my not so good points. I must point out it is not against all Americans, just a large few. They were the rudest people to the staff I have ever seen. Seems as if they lost their manners completely when asking for something. Ordering food or drinks with no please or thank you’s. it seems because it’s in their nature to tip a lot it’s their excuse not to have to be polite. Not only rude to staff but their general presence, as if everything’s their right of way and if you do stand aside to let them through they can not acknowledge you and say thank you!

Although the bad points out way the good I would return here. The children loved it, which to us is the most important thing. Having been there and seen the food is great, great pool/beach, friendly staff and plenty to do it’s definitely a family friendly resort.

13  Thank Helen E

We appreciate you and your family staying with us Helen. The hotel was built in the 50's and is in the pipeline for rennovations. We however do daily upkeeps of the property as much as possible. We apologize for the issues encountered while checking in. We were having issues with the reservation system. We are glad that your children loved it and with your feedback we shall address the issues mentioned. Can you recall the name of the bartender? We look forward to your return and will make sure you have a better stay with us.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I got married here 2 yrs ago. My mother-in-law loved it so much she decided to buy us all a trip for a family vacation. 2nd time around was just as amazing as the 1st. The staff is so nice and accommodating, the resort is super clean, and the beach is breath taking. It's so nice to feel safe and secure and know that we can let our teenage kids go and have fun, and they will return to us safely. We look forward to making this our regular vacation spot. Thank you Jewell Staff for making us always feel welcome-Yea Mon

2  Thank Tonya F
Sheldon D, Social Media Champion at Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

It was really nice having you back with us Tonya. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your 3rd trip back to us.