Reviews (9 508)
1 607
3 335
3 325
1 607
All reviews jerk hut deluxe side sir richards sports bar plantation restaurant jerk chicken mammee bay junior suite main buffet dunns river specialty restaurants safe key gourmet restaurant cool runnings musty smell entertainment staff towel cards
189 - 194 of 9 508 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I thought this hotel was wonderful but only made so by the amazing, friendly and hard working staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Any issues was dealt with efficiently and immediately without any fuss. The hotel building and facilities were excellent. The sea views were outstanding. The variety of food and drink on offer was extremely good. It was always hard to decide what to eat and drink when wishing to dine. I especially loved the steaks at the Mamme Bay restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised on seeing that the bed linen and towels in the room were changed every day. I enjoyed watching the nightly shows and sampling the rum cocktails at the numerous hotel bars. One thing, I didn't much like the constant use of plastic straws with cocktail drinks, considering the damage plastic causes to sea life and to the oceans. The photographs on this site for this hotel are rather out of date as the exterior of the hotel is now painted white not pink.

Room Tip: Upper floor deluxe rooms with a sea view away from the central stage area
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank David31082017
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I was at this resort in June. I stayed on the deluxe side..

Pros: The resort itself is good. If you are on a romantic vacation you will feel fine or if you have a family. The deluxe room has big bottles of alcohol on the wall which is a part of the all inclusive (huge plus for me). The room was cleaned everyday. The resort was constantly being cleaned and felt safe. There is daily free activities and some you can pay for. Every day at 12 pm a jerk hut opens on the beach where you get really good jerk chicken.

Cons: The resort has 4 gift shops and If you pay for anything with a credit card the cashier will write down your drivers license number on a piece of paper and expiration date. This is dangerous because it opens you up to immense fraud. they should only look at ID to verify and ask for room number. On top of that if you ask the cashier her name she won’t tell you. This may be violate visa and MasterCard policy.

The alcohol in the room is to be changed every 2 days but did not happen that frequently while I was there. Also the man that came to my hotel room to change out the bar decided to hit on my with my wife who was in her bikini in our private room and complimented her on how beautiful she looked. (Highly inappropriate and spooky). The gym is small, outdated and opens at 7am and not 24hrs. Staff overall not that professional. I would have to say all the bartenders were friendly. Most of the waiters at the restaurants not really. The all you can eat buffet staff was top notch though.

Overall a good place to go and I would go back for the right price and with a family. I would not pay more than 3.5 stars price for this place. But if you did you won’t be terribly disappointed. But it is not the friendliest or most respectful place.

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank Erik W
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I’m really on the fence with this review. I want to give the benefit here but I can agree with a lot of the negative reviews unfortunately ,let’s start with the front desk could’ve been more inviting the beds are old and hard the pillows lumpy but if you don’t care about your bedding you’ll be fine. I’m gonna need a chiropractor when I get back home personally. Cleaning service didn’t come on one day and we did advise them and the room was cleaned promptly. The food is plentiful The waitstaff works really hard . I would say the worst meal was the oriental meal, just avoid. I found the shops to be very reasonable for a resort. I wasn’t impressed with the nightly entertainment to each is own not for me though. We sat on beach chair at night and a guy came out if no where asked us to buy something and we said no thank you he was pushy but finally went on down the beach , there is big presence of weed smell. There is a small room of slot machines by sports bar if you win be sure to count your money all and all Jamaica is beautiful. I guess I thought an all inclusive would mean more than food , I have been to other hotels that wasn’t an all inclusive and they had entertainment and games included

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marlee99
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Ocho Rios, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We are committed to providing excellent quality of products and services to our guests. It is disappointing to see that you left our hotel thinking otherwise. We appreciate our guests’ comments since they help us improve our services, and for this reason, your impressions will be shared with the relevant department in line with the main goal to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction.

We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate the high standards of service and quality that are typical of our hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Ocho Rios
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

As in previous Riu’s we have stayed at, we can hardly fault it.
Food was great, drinks were great, staff were amazing and helpful and very friendly.
Entertainment at night was great and have massive respect for the entertainment team working all throughout the day and then putting on the quality of shows they do at night! Brains, Jerry and Sheldon in particular were always enthusiastic and never seemed to run out of energy even though they were working a good 10 days or more in a row! One fault is the riu fit team don’t stick to their schedule and on days when aqua aerobics was expected it didn’t take place.
Rooms were cleaned to a high standard daily and could not fault.
Selection of drinks was brilliant and really enjoyed the different daily specials available. Would definitely also recommend trying a Bob Marley if you’re there.
Jerk Hut on the beach absolutely fantastic the chef was brilliant and the food fab.
Main Buffet restaurant was great every night excellent variety of food, same with the plantation restaurant at dinner time.
Mammee Bay steak restaurant is definitely worth a visit while you’re there great food!
If we were people who visited the same place twice we would go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

14 times in the Caribbean, in 13 different hotels, twice in Jamaica, no no no and No Go for that resort. Food OK but animation really below average, pools are the dirtiest I have ever seen in my life, don't you clean them really after 6 pm or what? And what about Marijuana? I can smell it evening after evening and even today at pool this afternoon . Not acceptable!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We place great importance on providing our guests with unforgettable experiences and it is disappointing to see that you left our hotel thinking otherwise. We appreciate our guests’ comments since they help us improve our services, and for this reason, your impressions will be shared with the relevant department in line with the main goal to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction.

We really hope you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and to demonstrate the high standards of guest service and quality that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,