Sandals Royal Plantation
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
US$702
Good 3.5/5
Ocean Sands(Ocho Rios)
US$78
Good 3.5/5
Kaz Kreol Beach Lodge(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$97
Very Good 4/5
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$217
US$139
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Chrisanns Beach Resort(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
US$98
Reviews (2 730)
2 730 results
2 192
2 192
All reviewswobbly peacockle papillonbeach butlerroyal grilleast beachterrace restaurantfrench restaurantpeter fraserfrench balconyarnold nugentbutler servicelobster bltrose waterour honeymoonfood and beverage managereast wingthe general manager
FilterAll languages
50 - 55 of 2 730 reviews
Reviewed 5 February 2018

We recently stayed at the Sandals Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios Jamaica. This was our first visit but it will not be our last! The Resort was an old Plantation and the Buildings and Grounds were very well maintained. The entire staff is awesome! Our Butlers Kadesha and Robert were both wonderful and were very attentive to our wants and needs. The Bar Staff were always ready to "keep our glasses full". The food at the Restaurants was delicious, especially Le Papillon!! All the Staff, from the Manager Arnold to the Housekeeping Staff and Grounds Keepers were very Friendly and extremely Respectful!!

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the water. Ask for a Room on the 2nd or 3rd Floof.
4  Thank JohnWillie358
Reviewed 5 February 2018

This was our 5th visit to SRP and 6th time to a Sandals/Beaches property. I will start off with the negative because that is a very short list. This visit brought us to 44 nights completed and I realize compared to some guests, this is nothing but it was kind of disappointing to find out Sandals changed their award system and therefore we were not eligible for an award this time around but in the old award system, we would have received a silver sandals pendant or something acknowledging this. When you think about it, we’ve spent roughly >20K so far, so that deserves something, I would say. Oh well, not a huge deal. My only concern is that when our nights accumulated become more significant, that Sandals will change the awards system again and when we are approaching our free week, as long as they don’t pull that out from under us. That would be a big deal! This is my only complaint. We will have to wait and see. We are currently booked for October 2018, January 2019 and January 2020, all for one week stays so that tells you how much we love this place!

Now for the good. Get ready because this will be lengthy! There’s just too much to write it all down but I will try. Of course we arrived at the Montego Bay airport and Sandals folks takes care of everything. No need for Club Mobay (airport lounge $30 US pp) on the way in because we are one of the first flights, and they whiz you through. The wait was not very long before our driver, “Dave” (who I should mention is awesome) took care of us. The drive was so relaxing and he is so full of information. I’m thinking this should not be his only job because he’s so articulate and full of information. It’s like we had our private tour guide. A pleasure to meet Dave and hope to see him again. Fortunately for us, he was actually our driver back to the airport on the way home.

Arrived at the resort in good time , 1.5 hr, greeted by the staff and our butler, Neil, as usual with hot towels and cold red stripe. Lovely! We are regulars so we basically know the drill. We went and had lunch at the Grill while waiting for our room which was not a long wait. The Neil/Chase team were excellent. This was our first experience with Chase and not surprisingly, he went above and beyond his call of duty. Thank you Chase for adding all those little details and making our Anniversary even more special. Especially the strobe lights in our room and that lovely red velvet cake. Of course, Neil is a star but we know him from our very first stay and request he be our butler every visit. I’m afraid, if Sandals wants to hang on to him, they may want to promote him quickly.. We often have told him that we can see him as Hotel Manager or even GM one day. He’s so kind but yet so professional. Truly genuine.

The food as usual is out of this world. I have never had a bad meal, not even once at this resort and believe me, I’m a food snob. Some have complained that the service is slow. I actually found it kind of quick. I’m not in any rush since I’m on vacation and I don’t have anywhere to be. This didn’t even cross my mind as an issue. If you are in a hurry, I suggest eating at the Terrace for breakfast and lunch. They have a beautiful buffet and you can eat at your pace. If you don’t eat at the grill though, you will miss out on the privilege of meeting Adrian, one of the Grill’s servers. He use to be a beach butler and now a server at the grill. It fits him good. His lovely smiling face to greet you at lunch time. He is also very dashing in his tuxedo serving at the Returnee dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed that evening. I highly recommend the Tuesday night Returnee dinner if you are a repeat customer. It’s well worth it.

We are very lucky at this resort to be able to venture over to Ochi for meals if we wish. In all the times we have stayed at SRP, this was our very first time we actually did go over for one meal. We tried the Soy, sushi bar restaurant. It was very good, however, I wouldn’t bother with that place again. It was kind of dark and I can’t see the menu’s small print as it was. Nice experience though. We figure we will try a restaurant once at Ochi, each stay. Just to say we went off the resort.

The entertainment at SRP is great. Terrific entertainers and the band, The Rush was very good. (not the Geddy Lee band). Hands down for Roman who we got to know and his partner in crime, Jason. You certainly picked the right team to be your Entertainment leaders. OMG they are fun!

The Beach. The reason for our trip. If you love to walk on the long beaches of Jamaica, this is NOT the resort for you. The beach is lovely and never crowded but not big. We are chair loungers and love to swim in the ocean. It was nice to see our old friends still at the beach and some have been promoted, ie. Jermaine and he deserves it. He’s just wonderful and it was nice to see his presence at the Returnee dinner staning in as one of the resort managers. His team, O’Neil, Marlo, etc. keep things running smoothly on the beach and Marlo is fantastic if you decide to take a tour on the glass bottom boat. He’s very entertaining. Of course, our dear friends and our beach butlers. Cleon, Daniello and Romane. Those guys swag your drinks all day long and never ever mess up an order. I don’t know how they do it. Love their smiling faces and can’t wait to see them again. Especially on someone’s birthday in October!!!! You know who you are! Yeah, Mon!

I am sad to say that Arnold, the GM is leaving. It was very nice to get to know Arnold and he did a fantastic job running the SRP. Best of Luck Arnold in everything you do. Whoever takes your place has very big shoes to fill.

Of course, Our lovely friend and booking representative, Dacia! She’s such a joy to talk to and she always books our returning trips. It was lovely to be able to dine with Dacia at our returnee Dinner.

Who else? Ornella, my tea time lady and server at the Papillon. You are so precise and professional and you have a lovely smile. I highly recommend the Tea time at 4:00 pm. At least once during your stay. Then, there’s Simon, our server at Papillon as well. Simon is another one that is professional and very precise and thoughtful and he made our two meals at Papillon extra special. Oh yes, Jeanine….my Spa girl who does my manicure every visit and she’s a joy to chat with and does a great job. If you are willing to spend the crazy fee they charge for a massage, it is like no other. Very lovely and high end but I do find the prices at Red Lane spa very high.

The ladies at the boutique are lovely too and I always manage to buy something every time I enter the shop. Nice quality items.

We me a lot of terrific guests this trip. Some we met during previous stays and some new. Generally everyone is very nice and friendly.

Wrap up: So, I guess you can say, the main reason we visit our much loved country and this resort, are the people! So if you’re thinking about trying out a Sandals, I highly recommend the Royal Plantation. You will not be disappointed. Until next time, J and P.

Room Tip: We prefer the 2nd floor East side because it's a little more quiet. It is the older side but still lovely.
7  Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 4 February 2018

This is the third Sandals that my husband and I visited. We experienced great SERVICE from all personnel for the week we were there. Unfortunately, there was a lot of rain. Subsequently, our ROOM on the first floor was very musty. My vitamins turned black!
Our butler Kadesha was very accommodating. She and our other butler, Robert, made our anniversary very special. Because this resort is all butler, Kadesha was not able to reserve a palapa at the BEACH, though. Not really a problem. There were plenty of chairs available if you came to the beach a little later in the morning.The two small beaches were well maintained. The sand was raked twice a day. To get the most sun, you must take a chair on one of the three piers. Some of the chairs on the beach get no sun...found that out the first day! Daniello and Cleon, the beach service, were the best!
Of the three Sandals we visited (Antigua and Grenada) this resort had the least favorite FOOD. Food was good but not great. Although The Terrace's menu changed daily, there were, at most , three restaurants serving dinner. I knew there weren't many restaurants when I booked but I was disappointed with food options. If you felt like a specific cuisine on a specific night, you had to go to Ochi. We ate at Ochi Sky once and it was not good at all.
ENTERTAINMENT was enjoyable. You must see Big Momma at the Rabbit Hole at Ochi Hillside. The entertainment team were very personable.
Unfortunately, I had to use the MEDICAL services but the nurse, Isabel, was caring and professional. I had to see the doctor and it was unreasonably expensive. Also, the nurse's station is at Ochi and it was very time consuming to visit her and also for her to come to me. Luckily, my illness wasn't life threatening!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 1st floor. Our room was musty due to the lush foliage. Don't know if the upper floors had the same issue.
4  Thank craftd53
Reviewed 4 February 2018

We keep going back despite wonky bathrooms and hit or miss wi-fi reception and only 3 restaurants which are not all not open every evening. The service is top notch, the people are superlative, and the food is better than most resorts. It has a sleepy, relaxing feel where guests are well taken care of by beach butlers Cleon, Daniello, and a nice fellow who fills in when they get a day off. Beach butlers supply you with your choice of tropical drinks and lunch foods and work very hard. This is not a crazy loud place where the guests are obnoxious and staff do not go on mics imploring you to make some noise. Other resorts foot that bill. This place has an elegant ambiance but is never stuffy. Staff are wonderful. Javaughn makes us Jamaican spiced fettucine alfredo and Shanelle is an amazing pastry chef. Desserts have definitely improved. Special shout out to Garth and Kedene in the spa who went over and beyond what is expected. Orayne and Ricardo are wonderful as room butlers. Thanks go to Lancelot, Latoya, Winston, Simon, Clayton, Courtney,Jerone, Kimberlee, Adlin, Neisha, Michael, Alicia, Natalia,Camille, and Tashoi, and Roxanne. Dacia, you are an angel and you have my gratitude.

Room Tip: All views face the Caribbean Sea, avoid the lowest room category which may give you a view of the stairs or the dining area.
3  Thank Patronofthearts
Reviewed 4 February 2018

Overall we had a very good vacation. Our butlers Marvin and Oren were friendly and extremely helpful; I was impressed by the level of service we received as well as how friendly and interested there were. Marvin and Oren were attentive when we needed them and always checking in to be sure we were enjoying our stay.

We ate most of our meals at The Terrace restaurant where you had the choice of buffet or menu, I am Vegan so I requested a vegan dish and my husband ordered from the menu most days. At dinner our waiter Romeo was an amazing server; he was attentive and efficient. I was amazed at the standard of service that Romeo provided.

The service we received from the staff at breakfast and lunch was outstanding. Michael went over and above to be sure we were happy. We enjoyed the delightful singing of Natalia in the morning. All our meals were delicious; I would like to credit Chef Martin and his staff on provided delicious meals. It was obvious that there was some planning on making my meals. Every meal I had is memorable for me and I especially enjoyed the creation Chef Martin created when we dined at Papillon as well as the traditional Jamaican breakfasts that the staff at The Terrace restaurant prepared for me.

The resort is in a perfect location and we loved how small and quiet it was. Our room was lovely however the bathroom was tired and could use an update. My complaints would be that the beach staff were not as helpful as other resorts we have stayed at. I was disappointed to learn that Sandals sells day passes to cruise ships as I met a woman who complained to me on the beach about how expensive it was for a day pass. I was under the impression that the only visitors to this resort were those checked in to a room. With the smaller size of the pool deck and the beach having off-site visitors makes it difficult for actual guests to get beach chairs.

The beach butlers were awesome!! Cleon and Alex took very good care of us.

The staff at Wobbly Peacock were great! The bar staff made sure we had exactly what we wanted and we were entertained by Roman and Jason.

Our room was always clean and well-taken care and we loved our experience at The Spa where we had a couples massage.

We typically do not visit the same resort twice, however, we will be making an exception and visit Sandals Royal Plantation again.

4  Thank itsreebecca