All reviewsprivate beachtennishammocksspapropertyvacation
Reviewed 12 July 2015 via mobile

We stayed there for my brothers 50th and it was beyond expectations. Staff was excellent, decor was beautiful and location on the bay with private beach was perfect. I was shocked that they had an onSite gym and spa. We never left for four straight days and never stopped being amazed at how fabulous it was.

Stayed: July 2015
2  Thank CherylB854
Reviewed 30 March 2015

I can't fault this place, beautiful surroundings, amazing attentive thoughtful staff, delicious food and exotic drinks, what better place to holiday! 13 adults, 1 little girl and 1 baby and the staff looked after us so well and catered to our every need!

Only villa I could see around that had our own hammocks and large shade on the beach from the strong heat and along with this we had a warm pool and jacuzzi and beautiful rooms we could retreat to so easily if we needed.

If you are looking for a private villa in Jamaica I would choose this one, just amazing!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Dipali P
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I read through the reviews already posted and every single review is accurate and spot on. There's not much to add that hasn't already been stated. This place is paradise. All you want to do is just walk around the grounds and enjoy the beauty. We did not get to enjoy wave runners or jet skis because there's a moratorium right now but EVERYTHING ELSE is just as the other reviews say, including the loud block party at the end of the street on one of the nights we were there, which for my just-as-noisy group was a small sacrifice for the pure enjoyment we experienced. "Get Your Party On" by Shaggy and Chaka Khan became our theme song! We played it as the breakfast call and throughout the day. The Villa has a great sound system. (Did I mention we were a noisy bunch? LOL!)

I invited seven couples to the villa to celebrate my Ph.D. We were treated like kings and queens by an excellent staff of chefs, butlers, housekeepers and groundskeepers. A special shout out to Tommy, Shem, and Cliff!!! Only one couple (younger folks) felt the need to go out and explore Ocho Rios. The rest of us were quite content staying on the compound and enjoying the pool, hot tub, private beach, kayaks, suspended swings, spa, gym, tennis court, constant serving of delicious food and drink throughout the day, the villa's open-air design, tasteful and interesting furniture pieces, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, and just being lazy. I’d have to say my favorite moment was the last night where we had dinner literally ON THE BEACH by the fire which was built in a pit just inches above the water. It was FABULOUS!!!

Our group left a villa in Puerto Vallarta two years ago thinking that experience could not be topped but I assure you there is nothing like Amanoka Villa. The call from the owners inquiring about our stay as we prepared to depart was a really nice touch and speaks to the quality of our experience.

Go! You will not come back the same.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank karen c
Reviewed 3 April 2014

this is a great house, with excellent staff. Tom the butler made everything possible, in the easiest cool way. Perfect service, not fussy, just spot on. The house isn't overdone, it's just very comfortable and well appointed. The chef is excellent, we ate really well here. And the private beach is great. N

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

What a wonderful place to spend the Christmas holidays with our extended family of 11 people! We ranged in age from 13 to 80, and every one of us LOVED our stay. Our group has stayed in great places before, from Four Seasons resorts in Punta Mita, Mexico and Costa Rica to private villas in Puerto Vallarta and Lake Como, but IMHO Amanoka was our best vacation. Definitely better than a 5-star hotel!

The staff was wonderful and were always very friendly and helpful. We were pampered from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. Tommy made sure that we were never thirsty, and Cliff made sure we were never hungry. Our rooms were spotless, and we appreciated the daily laundry service.

We really enjoyed the food! We met with Cliff, the new chef, near the beginning of our stay. He asked what kinds of foods we liked and couldn't eat (we had a vegetarian with us and they always had plenty for him to eat), and while we gave him some input, we mostly asked him to make what he usually made, and we asked to try the local dishes. Breakfasts were delicious...various muffins, assorted fresh fruits, bacon, pancakes, french toast, waffles, and eggs to order...how can you complain?! Lunches were also great with local dishes, but the highlights were the appetizers during cocktail hour and the dinners and desserts. Lobster, rockfish, curried shrimp, stuffed pork...flan, homemade sorbets, rum cake. Yum!

Something special was that we ate dinner in five different locations during our seven-night stay. We really appreciated the effort that the staff went to in decorating the tables so beautifully. I don't want to wreck the surprise for upcoming guests, so I'll just say that the dining locations were really great and romantic too.

The grounds were beautiful and the villas were well maintained. The beach is beautiful and clean. We enjoyed using the kayaks, paddle board, snorkel gear, and the float. If you're a fitness fanatic, the fitness center could use a little updating in equipment, but otherwise it is fine for the rest of us. :)

While some of us would have been happy to just stay and lounge at Amanoka the entire time, we did venture out a little. We enjoyed a trip to the Secret Falls and tubing down a river through Barrett Adventures. Our 78 and 80 year old parents are in great shape and were able to navigate the Falls with some helping hands, but otherwise I would not recommend doing waterfalls with people who aren't agile and steady on their feet.

The guys chartered a fishing boat out of Ocho Rios and enjoyed that adventure. They caught a white marlin, some of which we had as an appetizer and for dinner.

A few of us enjoyed the spa on property. The masseuses were great, and the setting was very pretty.

We also arranged for two jet skis to come by the property. We really enjoyed the jet skis, but the most fun was had when the jet ski operator towed the four kids on water tube/towable!

There were only two things to complain about, and neither of them were in the control of Amanoka. First, it turns out that most of us have very sweet blood, so the mosquitos had a feast! Amanoka had sprayed before our arrival and had "Off" available for our use, so there wasn't much else that they could do, but I would recommend that you bring some stronger mosquito repellant if you tend to get eaten by mosquitos. The entire villa is open air (which is wonderful!) and we did not see screens or mosquito nets, so just beware!

Second, at the end of the road is a public area that plays loud music (it may usually only be open on weekends, but because of Christmas, we had loud music on Christmas Eve day, Christmas, and Boxing Day in addition to the weekends). Even though it was far away, the sound traveled. Some of us liked the loud music (though it did tend to interfere with our playlist on the great sound system piped through the property), but the very strong bass could keep you up until 5 a.m. if you aren't a sound sleeper. Again, Amanoka can't control what its neighbors do, but you might want to bring ear plugs!

I highly recommend staying at Amanoka and hope to be able to return some day. I already miss the pina coladas and rum punches, not to mention not having to cook or clean. This was really the right way for an extended family to vacation together. Like a hotel, we all had our own bedrooms to retreat to, but unlike a hotel, the common areas were ours alone. The beach was ours alone, and the staff only catered to our needs. We were so fortunate to stay at Amanoka!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family