20 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$389
5 258
1 823
5 258
1 823
All reviews preferred club piano bar wild orchid jerk chicken cart room service marlin bar world cafe secrets resort seaside grill french restaurant our honeymoon el patio hibachi grill preferred area turn down service welcome home ocean view
Selected filters
129 - 134 of 8 335 reviews
Reviewed 18 June 2021 via mobile

I wanted to take some time to say “thank you” to Graciel and the Unlimited Vacation Club. We could not have had a more perfect 9 days after waiting two years to surprise my husband and renew our wedding vows. It was our third time to Secrets St. James! Our butlers Dane and Kenton made the trip better than I could have ever imagined! Not only did they make every day special but they went above and beyond and their personalities were priceless! Nadine at the pool bar snapped some photos to send home to our children and everyone in the wedding office was exceptional including the our photographers!. If you are considering a trip Secrets St. James Preferred Club will not disappoint. Each and every staff member was exceptional! Please share this as you wish to let everyone know how grateful we are!

Patricia and Harry

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Alisteer Nelson, Sales at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2021

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Secrets St. James as your holiday destination and for sharing your feedback with us.

We always endeavor to create memorable experiences for our guests and are thrilled to hear that the resort has achieved that for you.

It was a pleasure hosting you and we eagerly look forward to welcoming you home again.

Best Regards,
Social Media Manager

Reviewed 18 June 2021

My wife and I decided to spend the extra money to take a nice, relaxing vacation after 16 months of doing nothing thanks to COVID. It turns out we were better off doing nothing than to throw such a massive hunk of our savings into the garbage on this so-called resort.

There are 3 types of staff members on this resort. First, you’ve got front desk/concierge employees. These people are incredibly short with you, yet overly polite in the fakest imaginable way. All they want from you is to find a way to up-charge you for something, or just turn and burn. But you should be grateful for this insincere and equally uninformative interaction, because it’s the nicest one you’ll get during your stay.

Next is the maintenance staff, or whoever these people are. There’s an allotment of random resort employees that randomly shout “Ya mon!” at you as you pass them in the resort. That’s all they say. It’s not in response to anything, and I still don’t know what the proper response to that is besides just shouting it back. But then if you don’t shout it back, is that rude? I don’t know. Frankly, it was a little jarring at first, then became annoying. I don’t know what else to say about that. It feels to me like they’re pandering to their lowest common denominator of guests, but I guess I can’t slight them for that. It just came off a little patronizing for all parties involved. But that’s my opinion.

And finally comes the bartenders, servers, and housekeeping staff (tipped employees). I have never in my life seen such consistently awful service. Every single one of these people was rude and short with us. My wife and I are incredibly polite and timid people, and even with pockets filled with singles to tip at every available opportunity, we were still met with the same attitude from every single one of these employees. They all have a “What do you WANT?” mentality. They treated us as if we were interrupting their private birthday party by simply placing a drink order with them. Even after tipping! And god forbid you have a question about…. well, anything really. Because you’re better off asking an angsty teenager at your local mall about the imagery on their graphic t-shirt. They do not like you, and they do not care if you know it. Even in the fancy restaurants. That’s out of the THREE RESTAURANTS they actually had available for dinner. The rest are either closed entirely, or rotate nights off. And I don’t know if that because of COVID or just bad management, but it’s probably both.

These people WILL TRY TO RIP YOU OFF. Not just the locals, the resort employees, too. And I don’t necessarily mean “rob” you. They just find ways of putting you in high pressure situations that you do not understand and they will push and push and push until you cave. You are nothing to these people but a money cow to be milked, and they BARLEY even try to hide it. If you do decide to throw away your hard earned dollars on ANYTHING in this country, come with your dukes up. That’s the real culture on this island. That “island life” mentality is pure bullsh*t.

Que the copy/paste auto-response from management. I’m sure “measure have already been made to ensure this doesn’t happen again” like they’ve said to every other June 2021 post.

2  Thank W1257NSbarrya
Alisteer Nelson, Sales at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2021

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We are very sorry that your experience at Secrets St. James Montego Bay was less than extraordinary. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the lack of service shown to you.

The resort has already taken immediate corrective actions to ensure that this does not reoccur while reinforcing to the staff the importance of providing excellent service.

Once again our sincere apologies and thank you for your detailed feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2021

We decided to upgrade to the preferred club, although the room was a strange layout it was gorgeous! Food was excellent and Fantasia made me the best pasta at the buffet I've ever had. When I say the staff was excellent that's an under statement. We were greeted by Onika who was the sweetest!She instantly made us feel welcomed and continued to check in on us our entire trip. She went above and beyond!! Cashina the night bartender and Nadeen from the marlin bar were also amazing. The rooftop bar next door at the breathless resort was stunning with the best views you could imagine. Overall a great experience that I definitely would recommend!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Alisteer Nelson, Sales at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2021

Dear Valued Guest,

Best Regards,
Social Media Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2021

We had the worst experience. waited 3 hours for a room and another day for clean towels. front desk is rude. We haven’t had our room cleaned in 3 days. We waited every night for food (only open from 6-10). Awful experience

3  Thank R4763PZlc

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Once again, our sincere apologies.

Reviewed 17 June 2021

Do not stay at this resort! The room was filthy, room service never brought our food, the mosquitoes will eat you alive and there was no iPad in our room to order room service. The food sucks and the staff is not helpful at all. We planned a birthday celebration and the room was not decorated and the room was being cleaned as we entered. The couch had stains and the walls were filthy! You have to go to the next resort over to dine and they don’t cater to vegetarians! Stay away.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Latrece L

Dear Latrece L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Once again, our sincere apologies.