20 people are viewing this hotel
5 201
1 816
5 201
1 816
All reviews preferred club piano bar wild orchid jerk chicken cart room service marlin bar world cafe secrets resort seaside grill french restaurant our honeymoon el patio hibachi grill preferred area turn down service welcome home ocean view
Selected filters
44 - 49 of 8 244 reviews
Reviewed 15 June 2021

Sky was the best host EVER!!! Make sure to come stay at secret st. James. Such a great time and different activities to do during the stay. Make sure to attend the night shows since they are exceptional. .

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Alisteer Nelson, Sales at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2021

Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure hosting you and we eagerly look forward to welcoming you home again.

Reviewed 14 June 2021

This was our return trip to Secrets St. James last visiting in December 2019. We all think the food was much better this time than in 2019. Give it a B+/A- overall. There were a few things missing from the Preferred area due to Covid (afternoon appetizers etc.) but were willing to overlook these small things because they are still operating at only 60%.
We cannot say enough about how friendly and accommodating the staff is. Everyone wants to be helpful and they are all so kind.
The rooms with a view of the ocean are wonderful. They could probably start doing some updates in the rooms, scratched floors etc. but we spend very little time in the room.
The beach area is fabulous, lots of loungers under thatched roofs sitting in front of a very soft sandy beach with a swim area that seems to remain pretty calm. Nadine our beach waitress is the absolute best at keeping you well supplied with the daily beverage. She was awesome!
Overall another wonderful week spent relaxing and taking in the sun and sand in Montego Bay!
We are already planning our return trip next January.

Date of stay: June 2021
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Secrets St. James as your holiday destination and for sharing your feedback with us. It was indeed a pleasure having you home again!

We always endeavor to create memorable experiences for our guests and will use your review to improve our product offerings.

It was a pleasure hosting you and we eagerly look forward to welcoming you home again!

Reviewed 12 June 2021

I will preface this full review by saying this was our first all inclusive resort we've been to, so I have nothing to compare it to but a cruise, which is basically an all inclusive on water.

We booked through Apple Vacations and had good luck. I have no negative things to say about that program and their communication. I will note I was glad to book through a company that included transportation....you do not want to be stuck at the Jamaican airport trying to figure out transportation. So make sure that's taken care of before you arrive.

The rooms....
The room itself was great. It was relatively clean (the tub wasn't, so I didn't use it) and the rooms were very spacious. The bed was the most comfortable and the room darkening drapes were fabulous, we slept so good every night. The "full mini bar" was them delivering bottled drinks and beer to your room, and they only did this once while we were there, but you can request more. However, you will wait for an eternity or you may not even get them at all.

The food and drink....
Without going into a long detailed story, I'm pretty sure the liquor is watered down here. There are plenty of beverages, but I only saw ONE top self bottle of liquor at the entire resort, so don't be fooled by them saying there is top shelf...well I mean there is, but only one bottle, ha! The food was quite delicious and plentiful. I recommend the Jamaican patties at the Burger stand, they were my favorite. The problem with the restaurants is that the ENTIRE three properties (Breathless, St. James and Wild Orchid) are all trying to eat at the same time. Oh, and you can't make reservations, unless you are preferred. So go right when they open.

The service....
SO SPOTY. We waited 2.5 hours for room service one night, and we chose room service because the restaurants were so backed up and it was getting late and we were scared we weren't going to get to eat. The room service food is trash compared to at the restaurant. But it was 11pm and beggars cannot be choosers. They will not give you any instructions or explain anything. You have to ask questions and ask them thoroughly. I'm not sure they even know what they are doing most of the time...and yet, they always seem to be on the phone. Not sure if that's to avoid the customer or not, but that's what it felt like. There were very few friendly people, but Clyd at the breakfast buffet was our favorite person. He was so cheerful and kind.

The recreation and beaches......
The beach was clean and beautiful. Snag a chair early in the day and don't give it up, that's my advice. You can do some of the activities for free, like kayaking, but the snorkel on the reef was well worth the money. They have free activities going on throughout the day, so you can take advantage of other things to do.

Tips...
They will try to sell you weed, so just know that in advance. If you are not preferred, you basically have some limitations, but, if you get lucky and can sneak over to the rooftop bar/restaurant at Breathless, the view is amazing! Some of the employees are easy going and don't care whether you are preferred or not. Make sure to read all the fine print and have all your paperwork for traveling (all the covid stuff). If you see a deal where they want to offer you all these "free" things....when you get there they will tell you everything is booked. It was a joke.

Overall...
If you've never been to Jamaica, and you want to sit on a beach or at a pool, relax with no kids around, have some entertainment in a safe environment, I think this is good. You have to remember you are on island time, and covid is still impacting resorts and travel, so you have to be chill.

Room tip: Don't get a room by an elevator
1  Thank Melissa P

Dear Melissa P,

We always endeavor to create memorable experiences for our guests and will use your feedback to continuously improve the resort's offerings.

It was a pleasure hosting you and we sincerely appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed 12 June 2021

I truly enjoy this resort the best staff!! Shout out to Nordia from the front desk and Kenroy the waiter from the Italian restaurant! I am all the way in Montego Bay but it’s feeling like I’m home in NY. They make you feel like family here

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

We always endeavor to create memorable experiences for our guests and are thrilled to hear that the resort has achieved that for you. We will also share your comments internally with the team members highlighted.

Reviewed 10 June 2021

Check in was at 3:00, room was not ready until 4:30. I was made to stand outside with my luggage for an hour and a half while I waited for the “room to be sanitized”. Once I got to my room, the bed was not made, there was no tablet in the room to order room service, mini fridge was empty. Finally got a few water bottles and the tablet 5 hours later after 3 calls to the front desk. Never got my mini fridge filled the duration of my trip. Room service options are very limited and you have a 50/50 chance of ever getting anything you order. Good luck eating at the restaurants - I waited anywhere from an hour and a half to 3 hours to eat. The food is not great. Thank god for the jerk chicken cart that’s how I survived all week. Will never go back.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank goldwolfy
Alisteer Nelson, Sales at Secrets St. James Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2021

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

We are very sorry that your experience at Secrets St. James Montego Bay was less than extraordinary. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the lack of service shown to you.

The resort has already taken immediate corrective actions to ensure that this does not reoccur while reinforcing to the staff the importance of providing excellent service.

Once again our sincere apologies and thank you kindly for the feedback.

Regards,