“Interesting Jerk Joint on Knutsford Blvd, New Kingston”

Sweetwood Jerk Joint
Ranked #22 of 225 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Jamaican
Description: In the heart of New Kingston, Sweetwood Jerk Joint has serves delicious Jerk Chicken and much more. We slowly cook over Sweetwood and charcoal with out special blended jerk seasoning and a taste of our special scotch bonnet pepper. We cook to perfection ensuring juicy and tasty end product. We have jerk pork, jerk chicken, jerk pork sausage and also jerk lamb (special occasions) . Or just come visit us for a ice cold red stripe or any of our other drinks! Our side dishes include potato salad, corn on the cob, festival and veg salad. We have a green market on Fri and Sat on property as well as serve fresh fish straight from Aunt Merl's from Hellshire. Enjoy your meal in a relaxing outdoor setting right across from Emancipation park and next to both the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel and the Courtyard Marriott. A little oasis in New Kingston. Delivery options available. We take cash and credit cards. See you at Sweetwood!
Reviewed 20 April 2018

This small Jerk restaurant is conveniently located across the street from the Pegasus and Courtleigh hotels which have good restaurants but NOT authentic Jerk food (like this Jerk Joint). I crossed the street from the Pegasus hotel in the direction of Emancipation Park and this joint is across the street from the Park. Ordered Jerk Chicken and Jerk Pork and I have to say the food is delicious, to the point I even ordered more food to take to my hotel Suite across the street. When I went back to my hotel Suite , all I had to do was heat up the 1 lb.. of Jerk Pork, 1 Ib of Chicken and festival ordered for a delicious snack in the evening and thus, avoiding the bland hotel food, (i.e. without the spices). I have visited and brought other customers to eat and hold meetings at this "Jerk Joint" in New Kingston numerous times after leaving the Pegasus, Courtleigh and Marriott hotels ( across the street from this Jerk Joint). Though I favor Scothies in "Mobay", this is my favorite Jerk Joint in "New Kingston", Jamaica.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Went with wife and son. We live in another Caribbean island so went expecting great things. Perhaps expectations were too high but we didn’t think the jerk seasoning was very pronounced. Don’t get me wrong, it’s decent and the choice was good. We had the pork, chicken and sausage with sweet potato, potato salad and festival. My favourite was the jerk sausage for sure. Good crowd coming in the evening with families visiting Emancipation Park across the street.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

The worst meal that we had while in Jamaica... ribs were absolutely horrible and burned to black bones. Jerk chicken was not much better. I would stay away from this restaurant - locals recommended it, but I strongly recommend staying away. Waste of money and not sanity!

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

This restaurant was just across the street from Pegasus Hotel and Emancipation Park. Very simple, quick, easy lunch. Food was excellent. The jerked chicken was just that - a generous serving of jerked chicken. Tasted great without any condiment. Great flavor. I will go back.

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Marriott Hotel for a week and got tired of the hotel food so decided to try something from the outside. Sweetwood jerk joint is about 20 seconds walk from the hotel in Kingston and directly opposite Emancipation Park, it's an open air type eating establishment. Very simple with a true island setting decor, there are chairs and tables in the yard surrounded by palm trees. The menu has jerk chicken, jerk ribs, soup and other local delicacies cooked on an old fashioned outside concrete stove and grill.

There's wifi but it's unreliable, washrooms are also on the premises. They accept Jamaica currency, US dollars and credit cards.

I will recommend this place to any tourist who wants to rare local cuisine.