Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts
US$363
US$324
  • Breakfast included
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$411
US$390
Excellence Resorts
US$249
US$173
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$433
US$325
Melia.com
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$371
US$437
US$428
Bookit.com
Paradisus Punta Cana Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$340
US$293
  • Breakfast included
Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$672
US$512
  • Pool
Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$283
  • Breakfast included
TRS Turquesa Hotel(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$270
TripAdvisor
Reviews (5 139)
5 139 results
3 626
3 626
All reviewsblue marlinlove barcasa bellajuanillo beachocean barmonarch villataco truckwok restaurantcastle poolcastle suitebaby faceroyalty villamain poolroom serviceblack angelpunta espadaour honeymoon
FilterAll languages
28 - 33 of 5 139 reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed 5 nights in this fantastic property. We had the best time. The food in every restaurant was exceptional - except for the sushi/Japanese restaurant. It is a tappenyaki-type place. The food was not as good. We did not have the sushi - it might have been better.

The other restaurants on property was great. They even have a taco-truck and, being form SanAntonio, we should know about tacos.

The wait staff were great - we never had to wait for a drink. There is a small beach to the right of the large main beach that is much better. The staff brought out beach chairs, towels, champagne adn even had one of the landscapers climb a coconut tree and "send down" a couple of coconuts! Wow, were they good.

We played golf 3 times, went to the casino and snorkeled - snorkling was not that good. More on the golf later.

A little expensive for some - with it for anyone who wants to go.

Try it - you will like it.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike H
Kawana P, Gerente at Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Mike H,
Taiguey,

Thank you for posting such a great note about your recent stay Sanctuary Cap Cana by Playa Hotels & Resorts.

I was delighted that you’ve enjoyed all the details we take pride in offering our guests. As are our regular practice, we’ve been happy to share your lovely remarks to our team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

We look forward to have the pleasure of having you back home in the near future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Last year, we spend about a week in Punta Cana, DR. Cap Cana is not far from Punta Cana, but had some definite differences. The beach was better overall due to calmer water and a real "private-beach" atmosphere. The food at Sanctuary was excellent with fresh fish available in just about every meal. Each restaurant was unique and a great experience. The only meal that was not at that level was the sushi at the Wok. We probably should have done the cooking tables there. Steakhouse, Blue Marlin, Italian restaurant and Bella buffet were great each day. Pools were top-notch and the staff very accommodating. Our "butler" Jimmy was excellent, with great people skills and his english was never an issue. He was always there if we needed him. Brilla was one of the servers who took an extra interest in our stay and I would recommend she be used as a trainer for others - perhaps new people just joining the resort as servers in the restaurants. Hotel room was perhaps the best room we ever had. Large and a great view of the ocean. Property was amazing and since there are not hundreds of rooms, we never had to wait for a seat in the restaurant or at one of the evening shows. Some recommendations for Playa Resorts: a) earlier shows since 9:30pm was a bit late for us. 2) Continue to highlight English skills for all customer-facing staff. Seems almost all the resort guests were English-speaking (America, Canada and UK).
3) Coffee in lobbies early morning.
You can see my recommendations are not about anything major since we had a great time and would come back next year.

Room Tip: worth it to get a junior suite with ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve I

Dear Steve I,
Taiguey,
We have taken note in our opportunity areas kindly mentioned on your overview. Please feel confident that we will take the proper measures to improve it.
Once again, we appreciate your kind comments of our resort and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am an obsessive vacation planner and knew nothing about where to stay in the Dominican Republic. After reading countless positive reviews about Sanctuary Cap Cana, I decided to give it a try. We booked a Beachfront Jr. Suite because of it's close proximity to the beach. I truly feel like we got the best room at the resort (however, I suspect they are all equally wonderful). Our room was spacious, comfortable, and well-appointed. We were on the ground floor and had a view of the sandy beach right outside our patio door. The patios was covered, roomy, and had comfortable seating. It was such a pleasure sitting on the patio when we weren't enjoying the beach or the resort. As for the resort itself; the workmanship and sheer amount of sandstone tiles, pavers, and columns made for the most beautiful resort imaginable. The food and the dining options were plentiful. We never had to wait for seating once and the meals were served promptly. The buffets had plenty of options that varied daily. Our breakfast favorite was the omelet bar. We really enjoyed the Sanctuary Town which is a small-town like setting directly across from the main lobby building. It opened every evening and had numerous small indoor/outdoor cafes with pizza, burgers, tacos, delicious gelato's and dessert, along with a few other options and gift shops. Our favorite place there was the Burger place where we met Junior; our favorite server of the week. He was always so friendly and helpful, and always made time to greet us when we came by. He made us the best banana milkshakes. This was the first time I've stayed in a resort that was not located in a town, so I was worried about whether I'd feel isolated or lack options for things to do. The shopping is a limited at the resort itself and nearby, but I did not come to shop, so that was probably a good thing. When I told the onsite tour operator I wanted to go into town to shop, he told us about a free shuttle to the shops. I was thinking that Punta Cana would have a typical downtown area with shops and restaurants, but we were taken to a warehouse-type building with a large open area of typical touristy trinkets, a cigar shop, and a very limited jewelry counter, and a chocolate shop. I was disappointed because it was not where I imagined we'd be going. Perhaps, there isn't a downtown area in Punta Cana, but unless you want tourist trinkets, I'd bypass that trip. The chocolate was worthwhile, though. Later, the Concierge told me there another similar location that sold more Dominican crafts that she's heard good reviews about. However, we only had a few days to visit and we decided to forego any further excursions and just enjoy the wonderful resort instead. On Wednesday, a few local vendors set up shop by the pool and I bought a nice, inexpensive piece of Larimar jewelry which I was hoping to find while there. I also bought some not to miss locally made chocolate bars at one of the gift shops in Sanctuary town. I've decided the Dominican Republic chocolate puts Swiss chocolate to shame. That, and fresh pineapples are not to miss. Although we didn't attend all the nightly entertainment, we truly enjoyed a trio that included a fantastic violinist. If they are performing on your visit, make sure you go to see them. The entertainment varies from night to night. The resort is expansive and we never made it to the castle side of the resort other than to eat at the Japanese restaurant one night. If you stay on that side, it would be a good bit of a hike to get to the beach side- but there are always golf carts and drivers ready to take you anywhere you need to go that you don't want to walk. The sunrises are beautiful on the beach which is cleaned and raked every morning. We never had a problem finding a lounger on the beach, but you may need to get there early to claim an umbrella. Unfortunately, many people place towels on the lounger early each morning leaving those chairs unavailable for others who might use them, but at least people could go for a leisurely breakfast without losing their seats. If anything, I'd love to see larger umbrellas to help protect from the sun, or a few more shade options, but the beach never felt crowded and was impeccably clean. Every day, they cooked freshly grilled hamburgers, hotdogs, and chicken wings with all the toppings right on the beach. Servers were always on hand to bring cold drinks, as well. The pool bar was only steps away from the beach area. We didn't spend much time at the pool, but it was never crowded, the water temp was perfect, and the pool was amazing. (There were a few other pools we didn't use, as well). I truly loved every single thing about this resort. It is breathtakingly beautiful, the service is outstanding, the people are friendly, and I am hoping to return soon. They will be closing for a few months over the summer for renovations, but I hope they don't do anything to change the current character and beauty that already makes this resort fantastic. I am looking forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: The rooms are spread out over many acres, Choose your options carefully depending on whether you want to be close to the beach
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MdSue

Dear MdSue,
Taiguey,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest.

We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team. We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

the truth that I have no word to express how good I felt at the hotel, the truth all they work there are very friendly and caring always attentive to the customer but what left me most impressive was the entertainment team the my favorite new york , that guys have a positive energy work a lot to give a good service to all customers, the rooms always clean, the staff of the recession very friendly, the guys in the bars are very good especially Carlos, I recommend to everyone that come if you want to have an excellent vacation I will come back next time with all the family, and for my boda somo like 200 people, thanks for your support and your service thanks so much guys,

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roberto P

Dear Roberto P,
Taiguey!

On behalf of the staff and Management of our resort we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience with us. It was a pleasure being your hosts during your recent gateway to the Dominican Caribbean.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed our staff’s attentive service and hotel facilities. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Wife and I returned to this beautiful resort, our first visit in 2017 was 5 star, superb.

We noticed that the management company had changed since last year, to Playa Hotels and Resorts. Last year was under management by Al Sol resorts. We were told by staff that a new building was being built, they were to tear down 2 others for the expansion to handle an additional 2000 guests.

Across the way Playa is building 2 Hyatt Resorts, one catering to families the other adults only. We were also told that Hyatt was buying Sanctuary Cap Cana. However, based on the research we did, belief we have is Playa Hotels and Resorts operates several different brands in the Caribbean market including Hyatt, Panama Jack and now Sanctuary. The markets include Jamaica, Mexico and now the Dominican Republic.

Service was off on this trip. We had issues with housekeeping not replacing our used towels, minibar not being refilled, each on multiple occasions. When we called about the problems, we were told their staff couldn’t get into our room...once because we had a “do not disturb” tag on the door, then on another occasion because we “double locked” our door. Neither was true, on both days the staff were able to get in and make the bed and swab the floor.

Another change was the food in the “Casa Bella” restaurant for lunch buffet. They cut back on some of the fresh seafood selections v. a year ago. We also noticed at breakfast service was slower and waitstaff not as polite.

For us, we will wait some time before returning to see what the further impact may be from the changes afoot with the new management company and their planned expansion.

Overall, a little disappointing this time around.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hammerhead44

Dear Hammerhead44,

Taiguey!

On behalf of the staff and Management of our resort we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review and for choosing this destination again.
We apologize for not meeting your expectations during your second trip. Please be certain that we’ve taken your comments really serious and we will ensure that situations like these will not happen in the future.
We are sorry about this unfortunate incident, and it is our hope that you would accept this note as a genuine apology for falling short of delivering a genuine Sanctuary Cap Cana experience. We likewise hope that you would be able to overcome with time the disappointment, and give us renewed opportunities to be of service to you.
In the meantime, we have noted your comments about food with the concerned department in order to ensure we maintain our usual high standards.