See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 January 2013

This was my first trip to Dominica and I’d hoped to stay where I could experience urban and non-urban parts of the island. Staying at Roseau Valley Hotel, located 2 miles from Roseau, turned out to be a good choice. My walks into town or to Wotten Waven and Trafalgar Falls were punctuated with interesting interactions with friendly Dominicans. Local buses (vans) travel this route all day long if you would prefer not to walk, but I found the walks very insightful and fun. The hotel is situated on a sharp corner so drivers often honk to let opposing traffic know they are there - though this was irritating at first I found it soon became tuned-out background noise. My room was clean, large, had a comfortable bed, cold + hot running water, a very effective floor fan and a TV (with lots of channel choices). Some elements of the décor were looking tired but I liked the space. My room’s balcony provided a beautiful view, great air flow, and a place to take in the sights and sounds of daily living on the Island. On reflection, I should have opted to use mosquito netting at night as my wide open windows welcomed in some mosquitoes. The hotel was spacious with lots of common areas to read or watch TV, to visit with other guests or just watch the world go by. Most of my interactions were with Patsy (the owner) and Kaya. The hotel staff were going through a transition during my visit - as they adjusted to changes caused by the death of Patsy’s husband (and co-owner) - just the month before. Even with this, Patsy and Kaya were welcoming, helpful (with information about sites to see and transportation) and attentive to my needs. Patsy and I had some great talks about politics and life in general. I enjoyed my stay and would consider staying here again on a future trip to Dominica.

Room Tip: I loved my balcony room but it was on the side most affected by the traffic noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank diggingforroots
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I was fortunate to get a room here during the Creole Music Festival at a reasonable cost. The room was without AC and with a shared bathroom; anyway I did not intend to spend much time there. Friendly service was given by the receptionist Kaya, and the location in peaceful surroundings was supplemented by excellent bus connections to noisy Roseau.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kraktin
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I am a little conflicted about what to say regarding this hotel, because on the one hand, the owner Patsy and her staff are wonderful people who made every effort to make us feel welcome and well-taken care of while in the Roseau Valley. The room and bathroom were well-cleaned every day and we never lacked for fresh towels. The location is perfect -- far enough from the city center to avoid the noise and heat of Roseau, but close enough to drive to town for breakfast or dinner.

On the other hand, the hotel itself was disappointing, considering the price. We had reserved a balcony room on the second floor. When I made the reservation, Patsy told me there was no AC, but that the fans in the room and mountain breezes generally kept the temperature tolerable and the bugs in control. When we arrived, the fan in the room was broken and had been replaced with a tiny cheap floor unit that would obviously not help much. We opted to switch to a first floor room with a working fan -- but because we were on ground level we did not feel comfortable leaving the windows or balcony doors open at night, leaving the room uncomfortably hot. We were charged more for our troubles, as the room included an oven (which we never needed), minifridge, and a few utensils, making it a "suite".

In addition, it was clear no one had made a major investment in the hotel for a couple decades. The furniture and appliances were rotting away. The mattresses were old and discolored, and the sheets barely fit, meaning you'd wake up lying directly on the mattress, wondering what you're lying in. This is nothing I haven't experienced in hundreds of cheap hotels throughout LatAm and the Caribbean, but the pricing at this place isn't cheap, and I'd expect more for what I paid.

Finally, the hotel will serve you meals on request. The food is simple but good, but it's way overpriced. Unless you really need to stay in the hotel for some reason, you're better off driving to Roseau for your meals.

Room Tip: ask for second floor and confirm the fan is working.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank zdevil
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Very cozy guest house and the owner is the lady with hospitality & high performance of the traditional cuisine. The hotel stays at the perfect spot near the city center of Roseau, the famous Screw Spa, and also the Dominica Club. I can recommend you the good performance of the price, too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank uuzak
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Myself and wife had a very pleasant experience we both enjoyed the food immensly we enjoyed waking up to the sounds of nature and the views of the lush green landscape. It rained almost everyday but we welcomed the rain it smelled so clean and fresh, did not get in the way of our daily activities which was watching the first ever cricket test match held in the Nature Island (Dominica). At the end of our day we looked forward to having a splendid dinner created by our host Patsy. Overall I would highly recomend this hotel; give it a try

Room Tip: I stayed in room # 1 but you have a better view from the upper rooms