Lowest prices for your stay
US$177
Free cancellation until 21/10/02
Reserve now, pay at stay
US$155
Hotels.com
US$155
PricelineUS$177
Official HotelUS$166
TravelocityUS$155
All reviews restaurant ginger within walking distance mid night beautiful colonial daily cleaning service cooking facilities loft room small pool night life main building restaurants and bars location is great ocean front beach towels capsules curacao island
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 February 2021

My (work)trip started fantastic at the Pietermaai Boutique Hotel. I brought my mom along my trip and were received gracefully by the hotel staff upon arrival. The starter package to our stay included: free breakfast and discount at Ginger (excellent place), beautiful colonial room, humble pool area, beach towels, 24/7 WhatsApp service, daily cleaning service.

Although I encountered some set backs such as, poor Wi-Fi connection and a broken Air-Conditioner (which fired ice on my bed, making me wake up to wet sheets), the 24/7 WhatsApp service worked excellent to solve these issues the following days.

However, there is one structural issue about this hotel that is not communicated properly to guests: because of the colonial built of the hotel which consists primarily out of wood, it tends to be extremely noisy. Especially for guests staying on the ground floor with neighbors on the first floor. When people walk or move aside chairs /other furniture it sounds like a bomb just exploded. After making mention to this two times, both in-person and via the mobile service, the common response of the staff was: "don't worry, the people checked out today!", "it must have been a crazy valentine's night celebration", and "I'll ask the neighbors to be less noisy." Yet, of course, this issue is something that can't be resolved by asking guests not to move or to be quiet.

Unfortunately, I learned from the hotel staff that my neighbor staying above my room worked at mid-night from 2 AM to around 9 AM in her hotel room. This meant that from 2 AM to 6 AM, I would lay awake hearing extremely hard noises. After my workdays, starting at 8 AM, which consisted of conducting 4 to 5 interviews per day with important stakeholders until 5 PM, my focus was gone, I was tired and became exhausted. Another neighbor on the ground floor, who didn't even sleep directly under this first floor room, also mentioned to hear these noises at night.

During the check-out, I made reference to this issue and the first thing the hotel staff replied: "This is a colonial building." This is not the reaction I would expect from a "high-end boutique hotel." I worked many years with client experience and customer journey. When there's a complaint the first thing a staff member (whether he/she agrees or not) should do is to acknowledge a client/guest's issue. In my case, not getting any sleep for 3 days straight, is quite an issue. My first tip for the staff: please include a "how to handle complaints training."

Second of all, the hotel staff implied indirectly that a guest should know beforehand that, when staying in a colonial building, you should know that you will not get any sleep should your neighbor be awake at midnight. My second tip: all guests staying on the ground floor should receive a heads-up from the staff during in-check time that it could be noisy at times. Explain why and maybe put some earplugs next to the bed as an extra service.

Thirdly, apparently the hotel staff were aware of the fact that they had a guest working at midnight. My third tip is to check that guest in a ground floor room. The guest should not be asked to move carefully. In contrary, the guest should not have to think about disturbing others and should be able to move freely.

Lastly, please consider the fact that all guests staying in a hotel have one primary need: a safe place to sleep. If sleep is deprived, all the other great experiences that a guest might have (excellent communication service, great cleaning service, delicious breakfast, beautiful pool) goes down the drain. Move away from the argument that it's a colonial building and make sure that guests don't even have to think twice about whether or not they can get a good night sleep.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Room tip: Don't stay in a ground floor if you have neighbors staying on the first floor
Date of stay: February 2021
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank 740tiarras
Team PBH, Gastenservice/Front Office at Pietermaai Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2021

Dear 740tiarras,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback in this review. We are happy to hear that, despite the setbacks you encountered during your stay, you experienced your welcome as gracefully, you enjoyed the breakfast at Ginger, your colonial room and pool area and as mentioned, our WhatsApp service. We would like to let you know that all your feedback is appreciated and has been discussed within the team. We aim for providing high quality accommodation and services, which is the reason we take your feedback very seriously.

We do hope that you had a great stay on Curacao and that we may welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 December 2020 via mobile

Tastefully restored section of Pietermaai comprising three or four small separate blocks and a couple of dozen rooms. Reception open around 12 hours a day. No restaurant as such but breakfast at Ginger’s (recommended) is right next door ..... plenty of other restaurants within walking distance.

Small pool - but this is not a place to spend a week lazing (well you could, but other locations are better for that). It’s a base from which to explore. On foot in Willemstad and by car (or bus locally) farther afield.

Back to the hotel .... excellent shower, good size fridge and separate freezer (great for getting those bets cold quickly) plus basic kitchenette equipment. Including a Caffitaly capsule coffee machine - no local shop sells the right capsules. Just as well Miko capsules are available at the hotel reception for a dollar a pop, isn’t it ? (If I came again I suppose I could bring my own and save a little, but they might have different machines by then and I don’t have a Caffitaly machine back home .....) Very large room, comfy bed, airco works ..... one or two mosquitoes make it into the room - just not enough to start spraying everything or irritate too much. Laundry is affordable at $15 per basket. Friendly staff.

At least a couple of stores nearby to get that beer for your freezer (and other products from the US, the Netherlands, Caribbean islands, Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia and more). Most impressive is possibly the range of countries from which salted and flavored potato and corn snacks come - Malaysia being the farthest. Best food here in my view is the local and regional fruit from limes to passionfruit and bananas to papayas.

For me Curaçao has three types of activity: land sightseeing (a couple of days and you’ve seen pretty much everything, the rocky coastline in the NW was my highlight); sand and swimming (nice, but not world class); underwater. Underwater is surprisingly good - loads of dive sites and also a submarine that will take you down to 1000 feet (300 meters) though the 50-100 meter range is prettiest. Restaurants and shops are fine as fillers, but that’s not why you come here.

There are occasional power cuts so come prepared with power bank and torch (flashlight).

Date of stay: December 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank colin w
Team PBH, Gastenservice/Front Office at Pietermaai Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2020

Dear Colin W,

Thank you for taking the time to share this amazing review. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us! We are happy that your room was up to your liking and that you enjoyed the breakfast at Ginger.

We would love to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 3 December 2020

we are not high maintence guests. We have stayed in hotels, hostels, Airbnb’s and guest houses around the world. All we expect is that our hosts are truthful and provide what they advertise. If you are a “luxurious boutique hotel” with advanced cleaning protocols, charging over 300usd a night we would expect a stay and service in line with this. Yet this is nowhere near the experience we had with Pietermaai Boutique Hotel. Of all our experiences traveling on almost every continent, including small towns in countries like Ethiopia this was the most deceitful and misleading experience we have ever had.
According to their website, Pietermaai says “We warmly welcome you to indulge in our most lavish accommodations. Our glorious oceanfront split-level Penthouse Suite offers luxurious accommodations.” On their website they also say the units are air conditioned and have upgraded amenities and bedding.
However this what we received. Upon check in with our 2 mo old, the staff didn’t offer to help with our bags, they just watched my husband lug our 70lb suitcase up the 3 flights of stairs as I fumbled with our backpacks and infant. We entered the unit to find that what was advertised was a complete farce. We did not receive a “split level suite,” (which is the information that was sent to us in the confirmation email) and more importantly for us, no A/c in the common spaces, but an open air living space with no screens and a dusty fan to try and keep the sunny space cool. When we asked the staff why they advertised that the unit was split level and had a/c when in fact more than 1/2 the space did not, the response was “well it does have a/c in the bedrooms and technically you are in a penthouse.” While no a/c is not normally a deal breaker for us, with our infant in tow, it was the main reason we went for a larger space and made this booking. We knew extensive beach time would not be possible with him and we wanted a space we enjoy. We could not do this in the common space as our son consistently was either getting overheated or eaten by the mosquitos we had to let in with some fresh air.
This is emblematic of the approach this hotel has to marketing. They consistently provided purposely vague information that could later be interpreted in the way they intended. Here’s a few more things that are misadvertised so you don’t make the same mistake 1) penthouse is not in refurbished Colonial house, as the website makes it look, but in a separate building across the street. While modern, it had none of the charm expected from a boutique hotel 2)There were no pools in the building were this “suite” was located so you need to go across the street and down the block to find the pool associated with the unit 3) There are no upgraded amenities or high quality linens- these were actually dirty and stained, there wasn’t even hand soap in the bathrooms (In the midst of a pandemic!) and the shower didn’t drain properly which led to pools of water if you showered longer than 2 mins. 4) , the room cleaning was a joke. The day before we left the cleaning lady barely cleaned the room, she rinsed some of the glasses and plates, and left towels on top of the bed in the 2nd bedroom. She didn’t clean the kitchen counters, wiped the stove, or even replaced the kitchen towels that were filthy to start. she didnt even make the bed or clean the bathroom in the main bedroom.
To cap this all off, we requested a crib for our 2 mo old and got a run down pack and play that looked like it was found in a dumpster (charging USD 15 per night)
When we talked to management about this the response was “if you don’t like what we are offering, that is your problem.”
Overall, this was by far the worst travel experience we’ve had. As said, if this place had accurately stated what they offered, and charged appropriately we would get it but the constant misrepresentation and intentional vagueness made it horrid. Stay away from this place if you want to enjoy your vacation

Date of stay: November 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Team PBH, Gastenservice/Front Office at Pietermaai Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2020

Dear Sarah and Juan Blanco,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We strive for the best service and appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, we did not receive a response to the solutions that we could offer.

We hope that you will be able to enjoy the rest of your trip with your family.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2020

We were four people staying at the hotel for 7 weeks
Good big rooms, nice breakfast in restaurant Ginger
Friendly staff
Located centrally in Pietermaai's small local restaurants and bar close to tonight's food at Ginger is just super to try

Date of stay: June 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank jarly123
Team PBH, Guest Services / Front Office at Pietermaai Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2020

Dear Jens,
Thank you for sharing this amazing review. It was a pleasure to have you and your colleagues in our Pietermaai Boutique Hotel. We are excited to read that you have enjoyed the service of our staff and restaurant Ginger. We will pass on your compliments to Paul and Angelique. We wish you all the best and we would love to welcome you and your crew again soon!

Reviewed 7 March 2020

I know Curacao well, so I should have chosen more wisely. The location is great, in the centre of restaurants and bars, but it is too cramped for my taste. Also I had expected more for my money, especially a larger and more exclusive suite.

Date of stay: February 2020
1  Thank Globe_dishes

Dear Globe_dishes,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very happy to hear that you loved the location of our hotel. However, we are sorry to hear that the room was not what you expected. All the rooms in this hotel are different. We hope to welcome you again in the future, we will do our utmost best to find you the perfect room.