13 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$215
Reviews (2 028)
2 029 results
1 160
1 160
All reviews blues wing blues bar belle alliance octagon room live jazz jazz night private beach breakfast buffet pool bar fish wine cellar rented a car nice beach ocean front the hotel offers great snorkeling downtown willemstad
Selected filters
28 - 33 of 2 029 reviews
Reviewed 16 July 2021

The hotel restaurants had great food and drinks. The 2-bedroom apartment we had was perfect for our family. The beach was clean and well-equipped with chairs and umbrellas. The staff was so helpful and courteous at every turn. Amazing restaurants within walking distance. I would certainly recommend to friends and family.

Room tip: the beach-view apartments are huge and great for families
Date of stay: July 2021
Gimene Pieters, Marketing at Avila Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2021

Thank you for leaving us this wonderful review of the experience of your stay at the Avila Beach Hotel. We are delighted to know that you had a splendid time and loved the 2-bedroom apartment which was perfect for your family. Thank you for recommending the hotel to your friends and family. We look forward to welcoming you for a next stay at the Avila Beach Hotel.

Reviewed 9 July 2021

I returned yesterday from a five day solo trip to Curacao where I stayed at Avila Beach Hotel. When I arrived at the hotel I was promptly greeted by Renzo, a genuinely kind and professional staff member who was super pleasant. He took my bags as I got out of the hotel shuttle and wheeled them into the lobby after which he promptly brought out to me a delicious welcome drink. Renzo was lovely to me throughout my entire stay. A standout staff member!

But the pleasantries ended once I had to interact with the reception/front desk staff for check in (except for the lovely, Shendelyn, who was SUPER SWEET and very helpful!!) I don't remember the names of the other unpleasant front desk staff because I just wanted to avoid them. They were pretty nasty and tried to make me feel like anything I asked was asking too much. At one point one of them sneered at me when I asked a question. I suggest management re-thinking that front desk, it may definitely cost the hotel some business. I literally dreaded having to interact with them (except Shendelyn) because they were never pleasant or helpful.

Sherman was EXTREMELY helpful and very kind to me, guiding me to my room and showing me how to access places off the Avila property. I really appreciated him. Esmeralda, also quite lovely, helped me fix a problem in my room and was just genuinely kind. Other staff members that stood out were Clifton (very cool guy with a chill personality who made some yummy omelettes for me; Donna & Angie, my beautiful fellow Jamaicans who made my stay pleasant by taking the time to talk to me. They helped me feel very comfortable about being a solo traveler (which sometimes gets awkward). Vaynis (hope I spelled her name right), from the spa who provided an amazing body polish, massage, and facial (thanks girl, you made me feel cute), and Rogeena, a member of waitstaff who taught me some Papiamento and was super cool and beautiful.

I truly loved my room. I booked the Ocean Front Blues room, and it was the best choice I could have made. I believe these rooms are the best on the property. They sit directly over the beach waters which was amazing because when I wasn't in the mood to sit on the actual beach (I'm a severe introvert, hence the solo trip), I could sit and take in the beauty of the Caribbean Sea and listen to music in the privacy of my own balcony over the sea. I strongly suggest the Ocean Front Blues rooms. They are absolutely splendid.

I spent almost every day at the private beach, which is just fabulous. It is a lagoon, but once you swim past the rocks there is a ton of aquatic life if you grab snorkeling equipment from the on site equipment/towel hut.

The food is pretty good. I enjoyed the breakfast. I ate at the Pen Restaurant (which is the only restaurant on the property). Some things were better than others. The caesar salad wasn't my favorite, nor the tomato soup (which the description says is cream based, but when served looked like Ragu spaghetti sauce). I enjoyed the Yeshi Kena (delicious), the skewers, and the burger. Their sweet potato fries are very good too.

What I didn't like about the stay was the inability of the front desk to help me find a tour to take on any of the four days I was staying. I found that odd because I've been to many islands in the Caribbean and the staff are ALWAYS able to hook up something because they have strong relationships with local taxi drivers and other members of the community.

Would I stay at Avila again? Maybe. It is definitely not at the top of my list, more like the middle. But I will say that if I need somewhere low pressure to go and chill for a while, Avila is a good place for that.

Room tip: Ocean Front Blues Rooms are THE BEST
Date of stay: July 2021
Gimene Pieters, Marketing at Avila Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2021

Thank you for your detailed review of your experience at the Avila Beach Hotel, we are glad that you had a pleasant time during your solo trip to Curaçao. It is good to know that you had a welcoming experience upon arrival by our doorman Renzo followed by Sherman who guided you to your room. We apologize for the service at the Front Office which was not up to par but will make sure to mention your compliments to all the colleagues you mentioned in your review that had provided you with a nice service and made you feel comfortable about being a solo traveler. We are addressing the mentioned remarks and thank you for your feedback. It is a pleasure although to know that you loved the Oceanfront Blues room and the amazing view of the Caribbean Sea. We hope that we may welcome you again for another stay in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2021

Visually, the Avila is a lovely property with private beaches, well-tended gardens, as well as clean and well-appointed common areas, such as the hotel lobby and the outdoor seating areas. The hotel room was wonderful, as were the amenities. The property has many other positives with a state-of-the-art gym, a spa and a small business center. Unfortunately, the positives are marred and tainted by a total absence of customer friendliness, a lack of service in general and any sort of warmth or hospitality towards guests.

In a nutshell, this was my experience with the Avila — a beautiful property that unfortunately suffers from big problems with service and staff.

First impressions matter. When me and my girlfriend arrived at the Avila to check-in we were not greeted. We were not welcomed. Not even so much as a smile or a hello. We said we would like to check-in and that was about the only communication that occurred. Subsequently, the receptionist subtly tried to put us in a different room category which was not an upgrade. Politely, we declined and said we would like the room we reserved. We were told that they would “see what they could do”, making it seem like were doing us a favor for us wanting the room we reserved in the first place. This is not a professional approach and it made us feel uncomfortable. It is absolutely not ok to make guests feel uncomfortable for wanting what they paid for. On a sidenote, the room for the entire 9 day stay was already paid for. Eventually it was sorted out, but it did not make for a good first impression.

We had reserved a La Belle Alliance Oceanfront room which we were very happy with. They are newly renovated rooms with a large, very comfortable box spring bed and a beautiful full oceanfront view from your own balcony. The room is quite well-appointed and includes nice “Rituals” bath products, a Smart TV, a safe, plenty of closet space and European as well as American and British Standard electrical sockets. The room also comes with a modern coffeemaker, a water cooker, a basic set of plates, cups, bowls and cutlery as well as an empty fridge which was very convenient. And while convenient, it did not make the room feel cheap. We were also tremendously happy with the housekeeping services.

As mentioned in the opening paragraph, the hotel property itself is beautiful and the private beaches are a huge plus. There are plenty of beach chairs, cabanas and parasols. The sand is soft and the water is calm. They also offer snorkeling gear and stand up paddleboards for rent. Other than that, there are no additional watersports and thus the sound levels at the beaches are nice and quiet.

The hotel also has a really nice gym which overlooks the ocean. It has State-of-the-Art Technogym equipment and a broad selection of both cardio and resistance training equipment. There also is a spa. Me and my girlfriend got a couple’s massage which are offered both in- and outside. The experience with the spa was good and we enjoyed the massages a lot.

There also is a business center with two desktop computers and a printer, which is convenient in the current corona situation, to print test results for example. Corona tests (PCR/ANTIGEN TESTS) can be done on site at the hotel, which is very convenient. There also is a Budget car rental desk located within the lobby of the hotel. The Wi-Fi connection is good, both in- and outdoors, though you may have to reconnect a few times. Lastly, there is a guest relations/concierge desk.

The issues with the Avila really lie within the areas where direct and personal interaction with the guests are required. Such as the reception or food & beverage areas. Particularly the food & beverage offerings are characterized by a total lack of hospitality in pretty much every aspect (See my separate review of “The Pen” restaurant which was the only restaurant that was open during our stay.)

The waitstaff are excruciatingly slow. The wait times for everything are long and incessant. The food itself does not do much to alleviate these frustrations. Staff do not know the menu, are unable to answer basic questions, get orders wrong, there is no structure within the restaurant, you get ignored. On one occasion we even walked out of the restaurant because after 20 minutes we were still not even given a menu, despite it not being busy at all.

There are also staff that are just plain rude. Especially Raysley from the beach bar stands out. He is unwelcoming, rude, ignores guests, simply does not respond to questions or inquiries…It is completely beyond me how someone like that was hired in a hospitality role. Staff also talk about guests behind their backs or joke about them. They do not handle themselves professionally and this is something management should be blamed for. Management was also nowhere to be seen.

It is similar whenever one needs assistance from the reception. They do not understand basic requests and it is an extreme chore to get them to help out with anything. They will whisper back to you, have no confidence and just in general seem not adequately competent in any way, shape or form to help with guests requests. The only silver lining was Tess from the guest relations desk who helped us out tremendously well. She acted fast and competently when I needed to go see a doctor in a very short time span.

To conclude, the Avila Beach Hotel really does have a number of good things going for itself. We enjoyed the beaches, the room and the amenities very much. However, the staff and service levels really detract extremely negatively from the experience as a whole and this is a major problem. In my opinion, hospitality plays a key role in any vacation experience. It is a crucial piece of the puzzle that, in my opinion, unfortunately is missing at the Avila. If they fix that aspect, it really is a wonderfully relaxing hotel to enjoy with a lot of positive attributes.

Room tip: The La Belle Alliance Oceantfront rooms are newly renovated. Date: June 2021
3  Thank Trotter070

We would like to thank you for sharing this extensive review with positive as well as feedback with points for improvement. We are known for our warm personal service and hospitality and strive daily to provide our guests with the best service possible. It is noticeable that we missed the mark herewith and apologize therefore. We appreciate your feedback and thank you once again for sharing this, we will make sure to address your observations internally to avoid similar occurrences.
We are glad although that you were very happy with your Oceanfront room and the housekeeping services. Thank you for also pointing out the positive aspects of your stay, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed the beaches, the Spa services and amenities. We hope that we may welcome you again in the future to provide you with the same beautiful location but with a different experience.

Reviewed 3 July 2021

My daughter & I stayed here from June 26-June 30. Hotel was really nice, beautiful grounds and excellent beaches. Our room was nice as well, La Belle Alliance, with a nice partial ocean view (2 views actually). We really did enjoy our stay here. Location was very good, a 15 minute walk to Punda, where there are some little shops and places to eat. Swinging bridge is there as well. There were restaurants close by in walking distance to hotel. Unfortunately, we thought there was more than 1 restaurant at the hotel, but only 1 was open, "The Pen". There was more than 1 listed on website. My only concern was hotel staff, I would say a good majority of the staff were just not nice. They seemed angry and just not happy. We greeted everyone with a hello or good day - we were lucky if they even looked our way. Also was difficult to even find staff. There were a handful of pleasant staff we encountered. There was a young gentleman at the front desk (helpful) and an older women (pleasant) as well. There was a young guy at the beach bar - always had a smile for us. The gentleman who took our luggage as well, I asked for another luggage stand - when we got back to our room there it was! I called front desk/concierge 3 times left messages, no return, when I did get through to ask for an outlet adapter I was told "there are none left". Went to front desk, the guy pulled a bunch out of the drawer. Over all I would stay here again because it is a beautiful hotel and with a great location.

Room tip: higher floor better views
Date of stay: June 2021

Thank you for sharing the review of your stay, we are glad that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay and liked the hotel, its grounds, the room and the beaches. Also that you explored the neighborhood, the Pietermaai district with a variety of restaurants and bars and that you went downtown, which are both within walking distance of the hotel to get to know a bit more of the island. We appreciate your feedback and will make sure to address this internally. We can inform you that besides The Pen restaurant and the Pool bar, we were renovating the Schooner Bar which is already open again and the renovations at the Blues restaurant are well on their way and will be open again by the ending of the month. We look forward to welcome you again for another stay in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2021 via mobile

Magnificent place! Amazing accommodations-we stayed in the apartments and everything was better than described. Attentive and prompt housekeeping but enough privacy to not feel like they’re always in and out. Great food with good close options for restaurants within walking distance. Courteous and multi-lingual staff, all who helped with car rental and or booking excursions if needed.
Only negative comment was our apartment wasn’t ready when we checked in-but was prepared within 30 minutes.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Thank you for sharing the review of your stay. We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed a wonderful and relaxing stay at the Avila Beach Hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you had a nice experience with the housekeeping staff as well as others who assisted you during your stay. Thank you for your feedback, we apologize for the wait for the apartment to be ready at check-in but are glad to know that you were completely satisfied with the remainder of your stay. We hope to welcome you once again for another relaxing stay at the Avila Beach Hotel.