“Falsely advertised and dissapointed”
Review of De Palm Island

De Palm Island
Ranked #46 of 158 things to do in Aruba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: De Palm Island is Aruba's only all-inclusive destination offering something for everyone. Whether you are a family looking for a day of fun and adventure together or a couple seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of the busy beach area for some relaxation and pampering. At De Palm Island you'll enjoy all-inclusive food & beverage, snorkel equipment and snorkel tours, a water park, zipline, unlimited banana boat rides, beaches & beach chairs, air-jumpers, beach activities, salsa lessons and more. Upgrades to Sea Trek (Underwater Helmet Walk), SNUBA or a massage are also available.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Family took 7 day Aruba vacation. We spent 3days doing a dive class and 4 of us got dive certified. We saw De Palm Island and opted to go here one day instead of another day of diving, or a land excursion and with the fact they offer Snuba and Sea trek which we could do as a family. We filled out all the paperwork, my oldest son who is now 21 had heart surgery when he was an infant. No issues, but according to the paper work he would require a physical which we paid for and did so he could take the dive class and be able to enjoy the sea trek with our entire family. We arrived early (with all the paperwork they sent and said to bring) excited looking forward to our day, the snorkeling, sea trek and cabana we rented for the day....only to have our son denied the opportunity to sea trek....even though we answered every question correctly and provided the documentation they required to do the excursion. I showed them the papers they sent, I showed them the dive physical and the fact we just completed a 3 day dive course.....they still refused to let him participate. We opted to come here instead of another day of fabulous diving and spent enough here for a 2 tank dive for all 4 divers.....ridiculous.....if you are not going to allow someone with certain conditions to do the excursions, you need to state it in your paper work. We spent 980 dollars to reserve our day and excursion. What a shame. The cabana was nice, the food was hot and plenty of it, the snorkeling was ok.....not as good as others have stated, but we have also snorkeled several times in Aruba that are not as open to rough water. We enjoyed the cabana and food, but having been denied the opportunity to do what we went there for put a damper on the entire day. They refunded the sea trek money, but that did not allow us to alter our plans and go diving or do other excursions we would have done instead of coming here. So we still wasted 735 dollars to sit in a nice cabana and eat. Extremely disappointing.....won't come back here. If you do come, spend the extra and get a cabana.

1  Thank tburccham63
Write a ReviewReviews (2 288)
All reviews
"great for kids"
in 25 reviews

16 - 20 of 2 289 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were on our honeymoon and heard wonderful things about the snorkeling on De Palm Island, so we checked it out. The first turn-off was that they had a closed gate between the lockers and everything else, which they could have easily opened but were so tacky in forcing everyone to walk through the gift shop to get from one place to another.

The breakfast buffet was heavily processed and did not digest well, I would find out later.

Snorkeling was a free-for-all: I had never done it before and would have appreciated some very basic instruction. I realized when I was already out in the water that I wasn't floating too well and I needed to have blown air into my vest. So there I was treading water and trying to fill my life vest, losing my breath and getting panicked, fighting the strong waves. I saw the girl working on the dock deflating the life vests when people came back and returned them, yet she didn't mention to anyone about filling them up. It felt very overwhelming with no one around to make sure we were safe. My husband enjoyed it, so that was fine, I sat waiting for him to finish.

Since I was a bit annoyed, I found it hard to relax and really had to hunt to find a place to sit without the obnoxious pop music blaring all around. I did find a spot and knit for a bit while wishing I wasn't stuck on this island away from our lovely and quiet resort.

We went down the waterslides despite the cold water. We are in our 30s but have no shame in admitting we love waterslides and these weren't bad, nothing too crazy, just a fun ride down - though there were mostly kids interested in them.

We decided to cut back our full day to a half day, but missed the ferry back at that time (I guess it came at 2:15 and we thought they said 2:50). Luckily they were happy to bring us back, I think only because someone else (on staff?) happened to be leaving the island at that time. They called a taxi that arrived promptly for us. On our way back to our resort, we saw the tour bus stopped at a hotel and realized we'd still be stuck on that bus only halfway there.

Could have been worse, but it's a pity we wasted a day on this.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Crowded crowded crowded. Beach is extremely small and rocky. Chairs are lined up as if at a swim club. You can overhear conversations of any and all families nearby. No designated smoking area so you constantly inhale cigar and cigarette smoke. View from the zip line and banana boats, which are on the back side of the island, is the water refinery. Seatrek is nothing like the one on Discovery Island so if you are looking for something similar, you will be disappointed. If you are traveling with children under 10 the water park would be a nice change from your beach but if you are going for a private island, beach and relaxation experience, this is not the place to go. We liked Eagle Beach so much better.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We took the ferry from the mainland to Palm Island where we had a beautiful lunch buffet style and after 1 hour relaxation, we return to the mainland