“Glad I brought my knitting”
Review of De Palm Island

De Palm Island
Ranked #49 of 160 things to do in Aruba
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: De Palm Island is Aruba's only all-inclusive destination offering something for everyone. Whether you are a family looking for a day of fun and adventure together or a couple seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of the busy beach area for some relaxation and pampering. At De Palm Island you'll enjoy all-inclusive food & beverage, snorkel equipment and snorkel tours, a water park, zipline, unlimited banana boat rides, beaches & beach chairs, air-jumpers, beach activities, salsa lessons and more. Upgrades to Sea Trek (Underwater Helmet Walk), SNUBA or a massage are also available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We were on our honeymoon and heard wonderful things about the snorkeling on De Palm Island, so we checked it out. The first turn-off was that they had a closed gate between the lockers and everything else, which they could have easily opened but were so tacky in forcing everyone to walk through the gift shop to get from one place to another.

The breakfast buffet was heavily processed and did not digest well, I would find out later.

Snorkeling was a free-for-all: I had never done it before and would have appreciated some very basic instruction. I realized when I was already out in the water that I wasn't floating too well and I needed to have blown air into my vest. So there I was treading water and trying to fill my life vest, losing my breath and getting panicked, fighting the strong waves. I saw the girl working on the dock deflating the life vests when people came back and returned them, yet she didn't mention to anyone about filling them up. It felt very overwhelming with no one around to make sure we were safe. My husband enjoyed it, so that was fine, I sat waiting for him to finish.

Since I was a bit annoyed, I found it hard to relax and really had to hunt to find a place to sit without the obnoxious pop music blaring all around. I did find a spot and knit for a bit while wishing I wasn't stuck on this island away from our lovely and quiet resort.

We went down the waterslides despite the cold water. We are in our 30s but have no shame in admitting we love waterslides and these weren't bad, nothing too crazy, just a fun ride down - though there were mostly kids interested in them.

We decided to cut back our full day to a half day, but missed the ferry back at that time (I guess it came at 2:15 and we thought they said 2:50). Luckily they were happy to bring us back, I think only because someone else (on staff?) happened to be leaving the island at that time. They called a taxi that arrived promptly for us. On our way back to our resort, we saw the tour bus stopped at a hotel and realized we'd still be stuck on that bus only halfway there.

Could have been worse, but it's a pity we wasted a day on this.

Write a ReviewReviews (2 316)
All reviews
"great for kids"
in 22 reviews

40 - 44 of 2 316 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Crowded crowded crowded. Beach is extremely small and rocky. Chairs are lined up as if at a swim club. You can overhear conversations of any and all families nearby. No designated smoking area so you constantly inhale cigar and cigarette smoke. View from the zip line and banana boats, which are on the back side of the island, is the water refinery. Seatrek is nothing like the one on Discovery Island so if you are looking for something similar, you will be disappointed. If you are traveling with children under 10 the water park would be a nice change from your beach but if you are going for a private island, beach and relaxation experience, this is not the place to go. We liked Eagle Beach so much better.

1  Thank Regina S
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We took the ferry from the mainland to Palm Island where we had a beautiful lunch buffet style and after 1 hour relaxation, we return to the mainland

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We spend the day over there. The aquatic parc is great for kids. The snorkeling is also great.
However, the beach is not impressive compare to the beaches on the main island.
There is nothing to do if you have young kids other than the aquatic slides/space.
The food was ok, the drinks ok.

1  Thank Christèle C