“A very friendly pub with lovely views across Hatchmere”

The Carriers Inn Ltd
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Norley
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Carriers Inn has become one of the most popular restaurants for lovers of fine food in Cheshire. we take care to ensure all our dishes are prepared with the highest quality of fresh produce and every dish is prepared to order. whilst we do not consider ourselves to be fine dinning or to be pub grub we hope that we have created something in the middle.Our loyal following of customers see us as a "posh pub" somewhere that you can dress up for and certainly somewhere for that special occation. we have won many awards in the short time we have been open from "Marstons CAPEX pub of the year" which is for best makeover of a public house to "casual Fine Dinning" pub of the year but our best is the award for the attention to food safety and hygiene.our prices are competitive with other restaurants in the area of equal standard and you can be sure that when you leave you will have sampled some of the best food around, food that has made us so well known. we look forward to seeing you soon
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Carriers Inn is beautifully situated on the edge of Delamere Forest with extensive views across Hatchmere. We went there for lunch on a cold and wet Easter Monday and were pleased to find that it was lovely and warm inside. It was a shame that there were not many people there, because it is a really friendly place with welcoming staff and excellent food; maybe the unseasonable weather had kept people from venturing out.

There was a wide and interesting menu with a number of vegetarian options. We chose a starter of goats’ cheese tartlet with caramelised red onion and a main course of wild mushroom pasta. Both meals were freshly cooked and very tasty. Our waitress was very chatty, and we discovered that she was a final-year music student who played piano in the bar on Saturday evenings. She very kindly agreed to give us an impromptu rendition of Billy Joel’s “Piano Man” before we left, which was a very nice touch which left us with happy memories and a desire to go again soon.

Disabled access is fairly good – there are disabled parking spaces right outside the door, but be careful of a low step through the door. Most of the dining area is level, but there are steps if you wish to go down into the conservatory.

Angela P, Owner at The Carriers Inn Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thankyou. It certainly was a miserable Bank Holiday but thankfully didn’t deter welcome visitors like you. Look forward to seeing you again. Our accomplished pianist brightens up any day.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was a family dinner for four, my two daughters had different meals than my wife and I and seemed to enjoy those, at least they didn't complain.
My wife and I ordered the mixed grill.
It would be fair to say that I have never been served such poor fare in all of my 67 years.
Meat was;, grissly and greasy, and very tough.
As this was a birthday treat for me and paid for by my daughters I said nothing at the time as I did not want to spoil their evening. However, I did return the following day and addressed my complaint to the proprietor who was very pleasant, but could give no valid reason for serving such poor quality food.
I have eaten at this establishment on a number of occasions when under different management and have previous enjoyed the food there. I will not unfortunately be eating there again.

2  Thank Brenda K
Angela P, Owner at The Carriers Inn Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

You did Indeed całl to advise me of your disappointment the next day and I was unable to resolve why you and your wife felt meal was not as you would have liked. I did check with supplier and kitchen to see if something was amiss. Alas I couldn’t find anything as all our mixed grills are carefully packed and cooked individually. We have since served several without complaint and received good remarks. It is a shame you wouldn’t take up my offer of complimentary meal.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Popped in today, after my friend called ahead to check it was dog friendly, at around 12.45pm. The place was empty aside from one couple. Five of us and two dogs, one being my 8 month old puppy who, as you can imagine, is still adjusting to certain situations. In there less than 5 minutes and my boyfriend took the pup outside as he was getting a bit overexcited and barking. Drinks had been order by this point. A lady, I can only assume was the manager (though i've never experienced someone in such a position pottering about in slipper boots) came over to our table and asked what the problem was. We explained that there was no issue but the pup was just a little bit excited so had been taken outside. She was extremely condescending and rude, telling us she had been "alerted to the situation" and that we had to be mindful of other customers. Totally on board with the latter as I wouldn't want to sit and listen to a dog continually bark myself, but found this quite harsh considering the empty pub and the fact he had been taken outside pretty much straight away. She said that the dogs they have in there are well behaved and suggested we tie him up outside while we eat. Not about to do that to my dog when the temperature was 0° and it was snowing. Expressed that I definitely wouldn't be doing that and that I wouldn't be eating there, so my friends finished their drinks whilst we waited outside with a very chilly pup. Absolutely would not return.

3  Thank ashelizzy

Yes I am the owner and live on the premises and yes I do wear my slippers when not working. I was asked by kitchen to come down asap as the over excited puppy was making lot of noise. I could hear this from upstairs and promptly came down, slippers and all. Whether 2 other customers or many is not the point, but to be mindful of others. Someone was taking pup out as I came to see what was going on and asked if the dog was separate or with you. I’m afraid socialising your pets is down to you OUTSIDE business premises as we are more than happy to have controlled pets sitting with their owners and have had many well behaved do just that.The suggestion to bring puppy to our covered area within 6 feet of where you were sitting was rejected and you made decision to leave.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We visited on Mothering Sunday for a table in the late afternoon. We were welcomed by the more senior manageress figure and seated whilst the table was being relayed which was marginally awkward. The drinks were slow and we were missing menus for a few minutes, however they were brought over by the dark haired waitress and she did apologise for the inconvenience. Our order was placed quickly by the same waitress, who was efficient and welcoming. The food arrived quick and hot, however we didn’t receive the requested apple sauce or mustard until a number of our party had finished, and one of us had asked for it twice - the initial sauces arrived once we had finished. We followed the main courses with deserts which were tasty and seemingly freshly prepared. Some staff were efficient, yet others need more confidence and initiative. All in all the food was nice, the company was however better. This pub could be much better if the staff improved, as the food was good. We wouldn’t urge to return, unless changes were knowingly made.

3  Thank Laura L
Reviewed 12 March 2018

My mother, myself and my husband have visited the carriers on several occasions when we go to visit my very elderly aunt in a nearby residential home. The food has always been delicious and service is always with a smile and friendly banter from the staff. We really enjoy our visits to the carriers and will continue call in for a delicious lunch. Thanks guys, job well done.

1  Thank Shelly J