“zion national park”
Review of Zion National Park

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Pittsburgh
115 helpful votes
“zion national park”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We came in from the Eastern part of Utah. I found the entrance rock structures (before the long tunnel through the mountain) to be more beautiful than those found in the canyon proper, which were also impressive. I personally thought that this was better than the Grand Canyon just because the sheer size of the GC makes it difficult to see into the depths & across to the other rim. The drop off buses in the Canyon allow for stopping & allowing YOU to determine how long to stay at each drop off. There is a restaurant & bathroom facilities.

1 Thank marksam1
lower alabama
56 helpful votes
“I would have stayed days.”
Reviewed 11 November 2008

While visiting Las Vegas I took a day trip to Zion National Park. Had I not been with a relative who wanted to see other places I would have spent most all my time in this magnificent place.

Nearby rooms are inexpensive, admission is reasonable, and what you see simply defies description. The geological formations are, from my travels, as incredible as they get. The Grand Canyon nearby was of course a wow of a sight but as soon as you drive into Zion the landscape is in your face, up close, and personal.

Photographers with expensive looking cameras are everywhere. That says something for the place there.

Park Rangers are very nice and at least at this time of year, November, there were few people there. I don't think you can go any later due to snow closing the roads. Best to check before you go.

I would have traded all my time at the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas for more days in or near Zion Park. It truly is an astonishing peace of this planet!

1 Thank ejbpesca
Ohio
37 helpful votes
“Angels Landing”
Reviewed 6 November 2008

My husband, 2 teenage sons and I flew to Las Vegas in June 2008, rented a car, and spent the next week making a clockwise tour around the Grand Canyon. Zion Park was our first stop and we loved it! We stayed at the Clliffrose just outside of the park - convenient to the shuttles into the park and into town.

One of the boys had a terrible cold, so they stayed at the hotel and my husband and I decided to hike the Angels' Landing trail. We left the hotel about 4:00pm, grabbed a shuttle to the trail head and started up. It quickly became steep, and the deep sand in some areas gave our legs a workout.

Walters Wiggles, a series of 25+ switchbacks that take you up the face of the cliff, is the first most strenuous portion of the trail. We took our time, but there were some young guys jogging up. We marveled at the brave souls who hand-constructed this portion of the trail.

We made it up WW to Scouts' Landing and saw what the fuss was about. Climbing Angels Landing entails gripping a chain and pulling yourself along and up narrow rock ledges (we're talking inches wide). Each ledge is created by a different strata of rock, so the side looks kind of like the side of a soft-serve ice cream cone. Climbing the first part isn't terribly hard, it's the realization that if you stumble and let go of the chain, there's about an 800' drop to the rocks below.

Don't look down.

Made it to the top of the first outcrop only to realize that we now had to climb a ways down the other side and cross a spine of rock to another much higher rock outcrop, at the top of which is Angels' Landing. Which is realized by grabbing on to the chain and manuevering once again up the sheer face of the cliff on the narrow ledges. (It's a real challenge when you cross paths with hikers returning from AL, and you have to work around each other.)

Watching other hikers climb up the cliff, I looked down below them (dang it!) and lost my nerve. I could have made it across the spine, but the thought of falling on the way up to AL was overwhelming, and we reluctantly returned to Scout's Landing (harder going down than up). Of course the joggers I mentioned earlier had already made it to AL and were on their way back...

I intend to return sometime and do this trail to the end. If you try it, go when the crowds will be light (4:00pm was perfect.) Take water and e bars or some kind of snacks in a backpack. Stop at the obvious places and eat, hydrate and rest. Fatigue and lack of concentration are not good companions on this trail. Keep looking up and you'll get there.

Then jog right back down again and go into Springdale for pizza and beer. We managed that part very well!

1 Thank Julie G
San Jose, California
4 helpful votes
“One of Mother Nature's best assets”
Reviewed 29 September 2008

This was the first National Park on the our Grand Circle roadtrip. This is a must for anyone taking a roadtrip to the southwest!! I haven't even hiked the trails yet and the views are awesome! Went to Zion NP twice both in early spring and early summer. Both great times to go. Once with 3 70 years olds and once with friend in our 30s. Both times great. When I took the shuttle bus I learned a lot about the park that I didn't know just going thru the park on our own. The shuttle bus drivers tell you all kinds of stuff about the park. Where to look for wild turkeys and rock climbers. They are very knowledgable. Next time I will focus on just Zion NP and do two of the various trails. Very anxious to do Angels Landing!!

Austin, TX
7 helpful votes
“Awesome Park (Comment on Shuttle Drivers)”
Reviewed 23 September 2008

This is an absolutely beautiful park. I wanted to comment on the shuttle service into the park. It was very efficient and over a two day period, we rode on several shuttles.

One driver, Jim L., was extremely entertaining and fun. Thank you, Jim, for enjoying your job. You were the highlight of the day. On the other hand, driver, Leigh, got up on the wrong side of the bed on September 18. One passenger asked him questions and he seemed unhelpful and did not want to be bothered. If you don't like answering questions, don't be a tour guide, Leigh!

1 Thank TexasRocks83

Been to Zion National Park? Share your experiences!

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.