Ways to Experience The Narrows
Reviews (3 508)
3 508 results
3 082
3 082
All reviews walking stick wall street neoprene socks water shoes the river dry bag water depth orderville canyon zion outfitters ankle support your feet waterproof camera unique hike hiking sticks special shoes slippery rocks dry suit
Selected filters
3 079 - 3 084 of 3 508 reviews
Reviewed 28 September 2009

My wife and I did this wonderful hike in late September. It was one of the best hikes we've ever done.

The hike is not terribly strenuous, but it can slow going. How slow you go depends on how comfortable you are walking through moving water on slippery rocks when you can't see into the water very well. It's not hard if you take your time and are reasonably equipped.

The scenery is spectacular! You are in a narrow canyon with steep walls and a river flowing through it. The canyon twists and turns and at every turn the light and the scenery change. Sometimes around the next turn you will find that the canyon has widened and there is bright sunlight and that there are trees. Sometimes there are places to sit on a rock and enjoy the lunch you packed. Sometimes the canyon is steep and narrow and dark and you will have to walk though knee deep water for 100 yards or more. Every turn is an adventure and a treat! We even saw several deer walking upstream through the canyon while we hiking back down.

We almost turned around after only a few hundred yards when one of the hikers
coming out said that the water was too deep and we couldn't get by. We were so glad we kept going. We only had to pass through one spot with water just above our waists. It was cold, but well worth it!

For the record we are an early 50's couple and pretty fit and adventurous. We plenty of people much older than us who were keeping a pretty good pace going through the river/canyon.

Do bring a fleece jacket or something fast drying and long-sleeved. It was a nice day in the high 80's when we went, but that canyon can be chilly... not much sun gets in there and the river water is going to be cold... mid 60's or less.

Do bring a walking stick. I had found a stick earlier and my wife took one from the pile of sticks
near the start of the hike. It was hard for us to imagine doing that hike without a stick for balance and support when going through some of the trickier spot. If you rent shoes, they will also rent you a stick.

Don't do this hike barefoot, in flip flops, in open toe sandals or in cheap "water shoes". We saw people doing all of those and I winced at the thought of toes getting smashed between the rocks or turning an ankle on a slippery rock. Falling into that cold water water wouldn't be much fun either. Rent the special shoes outside the park if you don't have anything you could use. We used our closed-toe sandals (Keen) and they were fine. We saw others who used cross trainer running shoes and they looked like they were working fine.

Do bring lunch and water and plan to make a day of it and you will have a day hike that you will remember for the rest of your life.

12  Thank Randy1956
Reviewed 23 September 2009

We are a hiking family (teenagers and adults) and were expecting something strenuous. Imagine my delight when it turned out to be a wonderful, relaxing, invigorating, breathtaking, easy and very do-able hike up a river canyon. Wall Street was fabulous....you felt like you could touch both sides of the canyon at the same time! The teenagers (boy and girl) just forged on ahead of the slow momma and poppa and had a blast! We thought we might last about an hour and it ended up t;hat we were gone 5 hours instead. Bring a pack with lunch and put it in a plastic ziploc bag. Put your camera in one, too! Definitely, definitely rent the shoes and poles....no matter how dorky you look. I can't tell you how worth it they were. Very inexpensive....maybe 20 bucks a person. Better than falling! Let me say, we went on a day where it was 90 degrees outside and the water temp. was in the high 60's in July. Do it and you will not be disappointed. A real adventure.

8  Thank mdm7761
Reviewed 27 July 2009

YES, the river is very rocky, YES you can not see the bottom, and YES most of us fell in the water, but it is a great hike. We decided to go without walking sticks, but we did have water appropriate shoes. Those with sticks seemed to fair better. 4 of the 6 of us are novice hikers at best. THe youngest was 10 and oldest 45. There were times when we were quite slow, but enjoyed every minute of it. Because of our lack of skill and stamina, we only made it about 1.3 miles into The Narrows (which really starts at the river), but enjoyed the view and experience. Every single one of our group said they would do it again.

3  Thank travelingmom605
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We enjoyed our hike in the narrows, but after so many raves here I expected it to be more stunning than it was. I absolutely can't imagine this hike without a hiking stick to help gauge the water depth as well as to support against the current. The shoe rental ones looked cumbersome as they are wooden, resembling a 5-6 foot pencil with a point that is smashed flat by the time you finish hiking. I think they do a better job of advertising. When we went we seriously debated renting the shoes and were glad we just wore hiking boots and our teens wore old sneakers. We went in late June and were glad to be cooled by the water on a 90 degree day. There will be some spots that are at least waist deep so be prepared to keep valuables, cameras, etc dry. Also there are sand bars that have some drops, so use your hiking stick to avoid surprises. Suggestion wear swim trunks or quick dry clothes for your comfort, especially on the shuttle ride back.

8  Thank PAfamily07
Reviewed 16 July 2009

I was very disappointed in that I REALLY wanted to do this hike. I have heard so many beautiful things about it. However my girlfriend and I had to turn back after just 200 yards because we could not see where we were walking and the bottom is VERY rocky and uneven. I am used to walking in the rivers of northwestern Pennsylvania. We both fell twice and we each had rented the special shoes and had walking sticks -- made no difference. We realized if either of us twisted an ankle or broke a leg the rest of our vacation would be over. We asked and were told that the rest of the way was just as rocky and it was about 2 miles to get to the actual narrows. We knew we had no chance. So we made the tough decision to turn back after we both nearly injured ourselves in the first 200 yards. We unfortunately also paid money for shoes and sticks that did not help us at all. Not sure what we were doing wrong as it seems no one else had this problem.

4  Thank psuallegator