“Great views, Not as scary as it seems”
Review of Bearfence Mountain

Bearfence Mountain
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular scenic area.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

This is one of my favorite hikes in the park. It's a great "daytrip" if you happen to be camping at Mathews arm or loft, since they are pretty far away from the general area.

We'll usually do whiteoak canyon in am, then do hawksbill or rose river after lunch. Then, we cap off the sunset with this hike before we leave. We get here about 2 hours before sunset because we always spend so much time here. Sunset here is much better than sunset on hawksbill. Do bring a headlamp if you are doing sunset. You really lose track of time up here.

As someone with a tremendous fear of heights, It's really not as bad as you think it is. There's one point where you see tree tops,and you think: one wrong step and I'm done. I turned around there the first time. It's the scariest spot in my opinion. the boulder you are standing on angles up a little bit so gives you the perspective that there is nothing but a sheer drop off. it was enough for me and I turned around at that point and never finished the hike. I've talked to a few people that have done this scramble, who knew exactly what path I was talking about.

the second time around, I bypassed the scramble by taking the AT path. Well, as I took the bypass, I saw that boulder that I turned around the year before. The thing was actually about 8 or 10 feet above a very wide path but you can't see that path below standing on the boulder. the perspective of the boulder totally fooled me. So... I turned around and went back to the scramble. It was the best decision I made. I laid on the boulder I turned around on, looked down, and sure enough: 8 or so feet down was solid ground, not what I perceived to be a several hundred foot drop.

Ever since then, I've done this scramble without any fear since I know the truth.

If you want to watch a nice sunset with a great view, but don't want to do the scramble, head to big meadows lodge. behind the lodge, there's a little trail that takes you to blackrock.

3  Thank W S
"big boulders"
"surrounding mountains"
"physical shape"

Reviewed 5 June 2018

The trail is about a mile or so round trip, but involves climbing over and between rocks. As someone with a fear of heights it was nerve-wracking but the views were stunning. My kids (age 5 and 8) who love to climb were thrilled.

Reviewed 19 May 2018

One of the many trails in Shenandoah takes you to the top of Bearfence Mountain, which provides a stunning 360 degree view of the Valley and surrounding mountains.

It's only a half mile to the top of the mountain, and the first half of the trail is a pretty easy hike up a dirt path. The last few hundred yards involves some serious rock scrambling over steeply slanted boulders. I managed to traverse it in tennis shoes, but some devoted hiking shoes would make it easier.

As challenging as the rock section is, don't believe the NPS projection that it will take an hour. I was back to the car in 1/2 hour.

Reviewed 30 April 2018

This is a short, interesting hike with views. It requires some climbing over rocks - that's the interesting part, as well as the well-earned views.