“Great view, good service, yummy dinner”
Review of Volcano House

Volcano House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

I was tired after a long day visiting this amazing park, and I needed food. My trouble is that I have too many food allergies, and the limited dinner menu was hitting them all. I was going to have to leave and eat snacks instead when my server figured out an item on the kids menu would work for me. How wonderful of her to find a solution to my embarrassing and frustrating situation! I enjoyed Kalua pork with sautéed veg and fried rice while watching the active Kilauea crater smolder outside. I tried to return for the breakfast buffet the next morning, but it closes at 10am. Don't keep relaxed hours of you want breakfast!

Reviewed 18 September 2017

This is an old lodge with an old fashioned ambience. When we came in somebody was about to start a fire in a big old fireplace. The dining room offers spectacular views of the big crater.
We ordered fish and chips and tomato soup with a grilled baby cheese sandwich. My tomato soup was only luke warm. It took a while to catch the waiters attention to have him warm up the soup. We also had to ask for a refill of our coffee cups. Apart from the service being a bit slow the food was very nice and we enjoyed the view and the atmosphere. If somebody loves nostalgia then this is the place to go.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Volcano House is located in the Volcano National Park on the big island. Its pretty small so need to make reservations well in advance. We had a good dinner there and had a great view of the active volcano. After dark we moved to the museum site about a mile and a half down the road and got GREAT pictures of the lava plume. Very nice day!!!!

1  Thank Barry G
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Amazing view of the caldera. We watched fog or low clouds come and go. The food was mediocre, small and overpriced.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

The menu gives you a nice variety of items to choose from but the quality of the food is not the same. Steak/Lobster, stuffed Chicken, Crab cakes, the flavor that could be just wasn't there.
Time for a new chef?
The restaurant staff is excellent.