“Great views and worth it spending a day there ”

Cascade Canyon Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: This uphill trail follows Cascade Creek for 4.5 miles and reaches Hidden Falls.
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

First time hiking in US national park, we are from Hong Kong and in a group of 4. A bit worried at first Becoz it is a bear zone area and we bought a can of bear spray. The park ranger/ guide at Jenny lake was very helpful showing us how to use it and even changed ours (we lost safety lock) with another can for us. It was a very good hike except we had to catch our breath a lot as we live at coastline, altitude is an issue but not a big one - just hike slowly
But the view is worth it. Ranger suggested us doing cascade trail first then we did hidden fall and lower inspiration point. We took the 1st ferry at 10am then started hiking at 10.30am. We didn’t finish the whole trail, we just walked 1/4 and walked back and went to hidden fall and lower inspiration (since we couldn’t pass through hidden fall to cascade trail). I guess total we walked 7km. We just took our time and enjoyed taking the picture and the view
Able to see a few mooses at Cascade Trail, but didn’t bump into any bear. We saw bear footprint (not 100% sure but it looked v much it was) when we hike up the cascade trail - we were the 1st group on that day
Lucky 4-6 of other tourists followed the same route as we got off the boat
We didn’t drink a lot of water as weather is very cool when we hiked, some sunshine but I still find it cold
To me it is not very hard - just hiked slowly and took ur time. It is a bit steep at first but after that there is wide open nice view

All reviews
"steep climb"
"early june"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 13 October 2018

I hiked in from String / Leigh Lake, through Paintbrush, up and over the Paintbrush Divide, past Lake Solitude, and camped at North Fork Cascade. Next day, I hiked out through Cascade Canyon, around Jenny Lake, and back to the parking lot.

Overall, paintbrush canyon is MUCH more scenic than Cascade, in my opinion. Cascade canyon has much more tree cover, making it really tough to actually SEE any of the canyon while you are IN the canyon. Paintbrush, on the other hand, is more open with less tree cover. While you are hiking up into Paintbrush, you can turn around and look down into the entire open canyon which is breathtaking. I ran into a bull moose on the way up into Paintbrush, and then a sow on my way down through Cascade.

I only ran into a handful of other people in Paintbrush, up to the divide, and into North Fork Cascade. The next day, however, hiking down out of Cascade was like grand central station - - loads of people coming from the jenny lake ferry and half the people kept asking me "how much further does it go till we get some scenery?" A lot of these people were NOT in shape enough for this sort of thing. If you are not a hiker, I would skip the march into the Canyon itself and wait for the Inspiration Point area to open back up. There really isn't much to see IN the canyon itself.

The good views of the canyon are WAY up the trail in NORTH FORK Cascade. It's STUNNING. You can look down into the canyon and see Grant Teton itself straight ahead. See my pictures attached. They show the view from North Fork Cascade at one of the backcountry camp sites. I got a couple shots of the milky way with Grand Teton in the backdrop and Venus illuminating the sky a bit.

To help others plan their camping spot, I have included a map of the North Fork Cascade camp area with the exact location of my tent. This was THE BEST backcountry camp site I've ever had ! Right by the water with a dead-on view of Grand Teton.

Also, hiking up and over the Paintbrush Divide is quite nasty and requires a great bit of effort, especially if you have a pack on. Consider breaking up the loop so you can enjoy yourself:
Day 1, park at Leigh/String lake and hike up to Holly Lake (gorgeous)
Day 2, hike up and over the divide, past Solitude, and into North Fork Cascade (camp at the site I show in the attached camp site map)
Day 3, hike back to the parking lot by going through Cascade Canyon (all downhill) and around Jenny Lake.

So, if you want to do the "jenny lake boat with some hiking" thing i would suggest waiting till Inspiration Point opens back up and just hike up to that. If you want to experience some canyon hiking WITH some beautiful views, i would suggest going up into Paintbrush canyon instead. I don't think hiking into Cascade Canyon itself is worth it UNLESS you go all the way up to North Fork where you can turn around and see Grand Teton unobstructred across the valley. Just my .02 !

Reviewed 7 October 2018

You should be aware though there were no views back to Jenny Lake in 2018 you had to climb to Lower Inspiration Point for that. We only walked 3 miles up the 5 mile trail as we had previously visited Hidden falls & Lower Inspirational Point & had to get back for the ferry. After 3 miles you go into trees and cannot see that much the best views are before you get there others told me who had walked the whole trail.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

I read about the colonies of marmots, and so being animal lovers, my 7 yr old and I wanted to give this a shot. I also read it was 1 mile to the canyon. What I didn't read was that it was a grueling 1 mile. I am actually thinking that they mean 1 mile, not including switchbacks. We humped it for about 25 mins before someone told us we had about that much further to go (we hike 20 minute miles normally). Fearing we would miss the last boat out, or get up there having no time to look around, not to mention absolutely hating this very strenuous hike (not a hiker - steep all the way), we turned around. The only thing that made this worth it for us was that there was a deer on the edge of the trail, so we got to take lots of pictures. I don't want anyone to think this would not be a good experience for them. But it is not for anyone who doesn't love hiking for the sake of hiking, isn't in good health, or has real time constraints.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 October 2018

By far one of the best hikes I've ever done. Take the shuttle across Jenny Lake to shave off about 5-mi RT from your hike. We were time-limited, so we went about 3 miles in, stopped for lunch, and hiked out to the shuttle. The first mile is uphill and strenuous; you'll know once you come to a rocky clearing you're through the worst. It's absolutely worth it beyond that. The landscape alternates between rocky and soft with magnificent views of the mountains and the canyon. By early September, many of the berry bushes near the trail had been stripped, and we didn't see any bears, but we heard tell of a moose a little further up the trail. Definitely plan to go back and backcountry camp.