All reviews french onion soup palm grove beautiful hotel positive aspects an oasis death valley lush gardens star property great balcony major construction sister hotel exercise room hour drive from las vegas pool bar lounge area telescope peak a lovely stay
Reviewed 28 June 2018

We recently spent three nights in the fabulous pool bungalow at the newly refurbished at Death Valley (formerly the Furnace Creek Inn). We have been staying there for many years as we love Death Valley, but this was the first summer trip (late June 2018) as the Inn used to close in May, but is now open year 'round. The remodel is wonderful, the library from the 1920's has been restored, modern updates retain the '20's Spanish architectural flavor of the original and the staff is attentive and kind. We found Aspen, the greeter at Inn Dining Room charming as we discussed changes to the Inn and the welcoming of summer guests. The new menu at the Dining Room is delicious. The pool, aquifer fed, is always fabulous and the addition of cabanas and a cafe were much appreciated.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MrsMRP
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We were visiting the USA from London and stayed overnight at The Inn on our trip to Death Valley.
The hotel feels quite dated in some areas - the carpets in the hallways are looking tired and the lift has seen better days.

Our room was nice, not particularly lavish as the website made them appear but clean, comfortable and we had a great view of the oasis garden and the mountains. For a “luxury” hotel it was a shame to see bulk toiletries screwed to the wall rather than hotel miniatures.

The pool area is definitely a main attraction and was a wonderful respite from the heat. There are plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas and pool towels are provided. It was a shame there was no pool bar serving drinks or snacks when we were there and they wouldn’t let us take drinks from the bar to the pool area - paper/plastic cups??

We had a reservation for dinner and the food was excellent, especially for the location and it wasn’t overpriced. Service was great and friendly without being overly familiar.

All the staff were incredibly friendly during our stay and I couldn’t fault the service.

We enjoyed our stay and would return to The Inn if we returned to Death Valley but we wouldn’t consider this a luxury hotel at present.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank kakaboom
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for a one-night stay, and probably would have stayed another night if the cost was lower. I never saw the original Furnace Creek Inn, but I think the operator did a fine remodeling job, modernizing, but keeping the original shell. The facility is built on a hill and the units are located on different levels. As a result, there is some walking involved and stairs to negotiate. The tunnel leading from the parking lot to the resort is very unique and quite useful as it leads to an elevator that will take you to the level where you want to go. The swimming pool and spa area is beautiful and relaxing. The entire resort has an oasis look to it with many trees, water and greenery. I was not impressed by the check-in handout on white copy paper that had a map of the grounds on one side and other resort and eating information on the other. I would have expected something a little more formal.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank TeemanRacketman
Michael S, Manager at The Inn at Death Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2018

Dear Terry S,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the feedback regarding the check-in information/experience. We always appreciate suggestions and comments from our guests. Please visit our website for all of our promotions and the best available rates. We hope you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Really odd to see this hotel in the middle of Death Valley surrounded by rocks and nothing else suddenly this green oasis beckons the traveller.

Plenty of parking available and a tunnel leads through the rock to the elevator. Curiously and unhelpfully the elevator does not tell you which floor reception is on! (Its floor 3 for anyone reading this and going there!)

In the heat of Death Valley (was 115f when we were there) the interior is cool and welcoming.

Front desk staff very polite and professional.

Out room was small, in fact could have had more space with some of the unnecessary furniture removed from it. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and was shower only.

Room was very well air conditioned.

Being in the location it is and the standard it is the prices for the food and drinks reflect this and is to be expected.

We ate on the desk watching the sun set with excellent service from the waitress on duty. Moscow mules were certainly hitting the spot as we nibbled and drank the evening away. The open air pool was superb much larger than the tiny splash pools you get in most hotels. you could actually swim length in this one an feel like you had actually swum!

Had a great nights sleep after walking down the road away from the hotel and seeing the million stars in the sky away from the light pollution of our daily world.

I was a little disappointed in breakfast, no buffet only menu items. we managed to order and swap various things between us from one plate to another. The waitress at breakfast seemed to have some difficulty understanding English and one of the items orders never came (and was not billed either).

Had a lovely stay there despite this, would recommend and stay again myself should I ever be in Death Valley again.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank munkypete
Michael S, Manager at The Inn at Death Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Munkypete,

The entire Inn at Death Valley team is very pleased you enjoyed your stay! Your comments regarding breakfast have been noted--we truly appreciate your feedback. Please visit our website for all of our promotions and to book your next visit. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope you stay with us again soon!

Director of Rooms

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

I’m a regular to Death Valley and decided to splurge on a night at the Inn. Sadly, this gorgeous, historic property suffers from indifferent and weak service that kills the vibe.

When I arrived, the valet didn’t move from his seat in his little shaded nook. As I wandered around looking for the entrance (hidden by construction), he just sat there. When I said “hi” he said “hi” back and still didn’t budge. I eventually made my own way to the lobby.

There I was greeted indifferently by the desk clerk. This was off-peak season and the hotel was far from full but there was no upgrade.

The room was small but very comfortable and nice. (There’s no covering on the bathroom window so be prepared.) There’s an awesome terrace off the fourth floor and a fridge in the room.

The bartender working on June 11, 2018, was GREAT and super helpful with things that the front desk failed to provide, like a welcoming, helpful personality and an orientation around the hotel. He deserves a big raise. Bar food and wine were decent and fairly priced.

The front desk didn’t know if the pool restaurant was open for breakfast so I went down there myself (it isn’t). When I sat down in the main dining room for breakfast there were four other tables there—all were eating. My waitress never showed up so I left. I had an awesome breakfast at Gema’s in Beatty for $10.

There is no gift shop on site and the front desk couldn’t supply me with a cheap item I’d forgotten.

I’m happy to pay a premium to stay in these beautiful hotels and help keep them going. But good service costs next to nothing and should be a part of the deal. For the price (note the $50+ “resort” fee) the Inn was sadly not worth the $400+ I paid.

Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank Lorraine W

Dear Lorraine W,

I sincerely apologize that your stay was not more enjoyable. At your convenience I would like the opportunity to discuss your visit in further detail and address your concerns--my contact information is below. Thank you for the feedback and I hope to connect with you soon.

Director of Rooms