“It’s different”

Cuisines: French, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I’ve visited restaurants where the menu is short, some where the menu is fixed, but never one where I didn’t know what I’d actually be eating for starter main or pudding.
The concept is as if you’ve been invited round to friends for dinner. They ask what you don’t like (dietary restrictions etc) and the rest is over to the chef. For us, it worked.
It was a “World Cup” night and England were losing to Belgium, so we practically had the place to ourselves.
Starters were courgette fritters with a harissa yoghurt and rocket. Tasty. Main - not surprisingly as we had no restrictions on what we ate - was pork tenderloin with spicy vegetables, lentils, and black pudding. Also good. And pudding was a surprise, trifle. Wine list eclectic. Service was friendly and fun.
Give it a go.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

I went here with a group of cyclists. On arrival expectations were high. The place was recommended by the host of our accommodation and on arrival the ambience was lovely quite rustic and a bit quirky. We ordered from the 'Street Food' menu (limited to 4 choices of pizza or a burger), and what a let down. Most of the group ordered pizzas. They arrived only after nearly an hour's wait, despite the restaurant not being all that busy. I ordered the Hake pizza (yes I was curious too). It consisted of a (small) thin pizza base, no tomato topping, a few pieces of Hake and four chunks of potato and a drizzle of pesto. It was the most weird pizza I have ever eaten and a combination I don't wish to encounter again. All the other pizzas were equally sparse. One of the group ordered the burger which arrived with nothing else, no salad, no chips. We all left feeling just as hungry as when we arrived. The following night we ate in a pub and for the same price had a delicious and satisfying evening meal. Give this place a miss it's over-priced and over-hyped.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

The Rusty Pig had two weeks notice that my group of 8 was coming for pizza and that one of us was vegan. I ordered a pizza and gave them free rein to throw anything on it, no restrictions, just make sure it's vegan. We all waited 50 mins for the pizzas to arrive, mine being the last, and when it turned up it was a thin pizza base, a very thin spread of tomato and a handful of rocket. That was it. No onions, mushrooms, peppers, olives, sweetcorn, pineapple, vegan mozzarella. I was so shocked and hungry and my friends had already started eating that I didn't say anything at the time. None of the pizzas had sensible or generous toppings and the service was terribly slow and the value for money was appalling. I still can't believe that after having two weeks to think about it, the only thing the chef could come up with for a vegan pizza was a handful of rocket. Would not recommend this place, whether you are vegan or not.

1  Thank Penni H
Reviewed 10 June 2018

These chefs know what good food is and don't hold back on serving it up to discerning customers. A top stop for brunch when you need quality food to hit the spot.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

Having dined at the Michelin starred Elephant in Torquay, where we were served the best black pudding you’ll ever eat, we decided to seek out the maker. When you first see the Rusty Pig, tucked away in the narrow streets of Ottery St Mary, you will probably have a big question mark over your head. Don’t give up, for this place is simply wonderful. Honest food, beautifully cooked, no frills. The cutlery doesn’t match, the crockery is plain white and chunky and, if you sit downstairs, you will share a big table whilst you watch your food being cooked. There’s no menu, the chef comes to tell you what he plans to cook for you. In our case this was grilled asparagus, served with a chicken stock reduction, raw egg yolk and a grating of cheese. Delicious! This was followed by pork, veg and roasted potatoes in the most wonderful gravy. Glorious! Just when we thought things couldn’t get any better, chef produced warm strawberries in Limoncello with the best treacle tart I have ever tasted. I thought I’d died and gone to heaven! 90 minutes after we arrived we left, clutching the large wedge of the Rusty Pig Black pudding that we came for and with silly grins on our faces! Wonderful meal, lovely people and great fun. Despite the parking difficulties,we will be going again. Thanks guys, for a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience,

1  Thank Bopeep1947