“Amazing place!”

Kariega Game Reserve - Settlers Drift
Reviewed 16 March 2017

I was very lucky to spend my 50th birthday here. What an amazing time I had. The accommodation was lovely - huge rooms with open bath and shower (toilet was enclosed). Very clean and had a well stocked mini bar which was free. Amazing views from the room and the main lodge. Loved having breakfast and being able to spot giraffes, zebra, ostriches and much more whilst eating. The food was excellent too - nice variation and endless alcohol on tap too although everyone was in bed early due to the early starts. Our guide Jordan was absolutely amazing and a really nice guy too. His knowledge for what he does was excellent and he was very informative. We saw lots of animals on our trips and the best one was on my birthday morning - loved the coffee stops in the morning and wine stops mid safari in the evenings. One rerun after each trip we got met by a member of staff with cool towels and a drink. Got to see all the animals I wanted and up close too - got some amazing pictures to remember forever. I had a massage and French polish while I was there in the spa - very reasonably priced and the massage was so relaxing. My French polish was very good too. The staff were all very polite and attentive and Phil and Jo were also excellent hosts as Managers. Nothing was too much trouble and we honestly didn't want to leave at the end of our stay. We met two lovely couples who were in our jeep and spent my birthday dinner with my husband and I and Jordan. I then got a chocolate cake after dinner and the staff sung happy birthday to me. I can honestly say that my time at the settlers drift was fantastic and I hope to return one day.

Stayed: March 2017

Reviewed 12 March 2017

We spent just 2 nights at Settlers' Drift at Kariega game park, but it felt like much longer as we experienced so much. This was our third safari holiday. Previously we have been to Beho Beho in the Selous,Tanzania and to nearby Shamwari, both of which were first class, so we had expectations. We were not disappointed. The accomodation really is 5 star as is the service. We arrived too late to take the boat (our fault) and I thought we might well miss the evening drive on our first day but Jo swiftly checked us in, showed us to our accomodation, offered us refreshments and waved us off on our first drive with our ranger, Wayne. We experienced so much over the 2 days we were there. I cannot describe it all but the highlights for me were walking through the reserve with giraffe and zebra close by and later being surrounded by a herd of elephants on a night safari, so close they were in touching distance of our vehicle and seeing all this by just the light of a nearly full moon. We were fortunate enough also to watch a baby white rhino with his mother, see 3 male lions devouring an early morning kill and later witness one of the same lions mating with a lioness. Some of this was luck - being in the right place at the right time - but much of it can be credited to our ranger Wayne who was absolutely first class. He had eyes like a hawk, spotting things many may have missed, plus he was extremely knowledgable, professional and very good company. I would have liked to have spent longer there to enjoy the lodge itself and all it has to offer - I hope we will have a chance to return one day. The food was excellent - my husband who has a food allergy was extremely well looked after with specially prepared cakes and bread - and the service provided by Jo and her team was first class throughout. The little touches like hot water bottles and blankets on the night safari were wonderful!!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 March 2017 via mobile

This is an extraordinarily beautiful game reserve. Everithing is absolutely perfect. The unforgettable stay starts at the jetty with a lovely boat ride to the lodges where extremely friendly staf welcomes you with drinks and wet towels. The lodge is luxurious, beautiful and the atmosphere is pleasantly informal. Management go out of their way to make you feel at home.
The tented lodges are magnificent. Spacious and extremely comfortable. Nicely hidden away for complete privacy.
Outstandingly knowledgable rangers take you on safari tours for unforgettable adventures. Wondeeful experience. There is so much to see.
The food is top notch. The restaurant easily compares with the best restaurants in South Africa.
For anyone who looks for a place to celebrate something special in a relaxed and exceptional environment, this is the place. It is an experience beyond your wildest dreams.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2017

.. what do you want more.. than wonderful poeple in a informal but very luxurious Setting. the suites are stunning - the rangers are the best - the Food could not have been better. hope to be back very soon with my Family and driving around with Wayne and his Team - Thanks alot for everything and making our stay a non forgetable one :)

Room Tip: alle suites are outsstanding
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2017

Had the accommodation, catering and service you would expect from a luxury safari lodge but it was the quality of the viewing on the game drives that made the difference for us. I was a bit nervous before that it would be a bit sanitised compared to reserves visited in past but this was not the case. Our ranger, Vicky, led us on a series of exciting drives providing us with so many memories to take home with us. Her exceptional knowledge and personality enabled all to understand the animal behaviour we were seeing. So many highlights but for me the caracal and the young elephants and rhinos were the standout. Service was exceptional as when our driver failed to show we were kindly driven to the airport which enabled us catch our flight and finished our holiday in style. Very grateful for that and we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Every room has a wonderful view. We could see rhino amongst other animals from our balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenton-on-Sea
2,9 km away
#1 of 33 in Grahamstown
1 411 reviews
11,5 km away
Kariega Game Reserve - Ukhozi Lodge

Been to Kariega Game Reserve - Settlers Drift? Share your experiences!